Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Big Al Book and iTunes4

The Big Al Book and iTunes4
djjava
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 10:58 PM

Probably a silly question, but has anyone with a 17" PB installed iTunes 4... I'm assuming everyone is having no problems (as i've read some people got KPs)...

I'm a little bummed that Apple couldn't throw FireWire 800 on the new iPod... i have a wonderful FW800 port on my PB17 waiting for a device to use... I would have expected Apple to make a device that plug in there..
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 11:00 PM

I woulda thought that was a no brainer as well

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
I woulda thought that was a no brainer as well
in regards to the FW800??
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 11:04 PM

I've installed iTunes 4 on my 17" PB with no problems whatsoever. All the playlists transferred fine, no hitches or issues at all.

I've also updated my iPod to 1.3 through my 17" PB and it's talking fine w/ iTunes 4.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
I've installed iTunes 4 on my 17" PB with no problems whatsoever. All the playlists transferred fine, no hitches or issues at all.

I've also updated my iPod to 1.3 through my 17" PB and it's talking fine w/ iTunes 4.
i wish i could afford an ipod... on the bright side.. i'm using my portable mp3 player now... my PB17. maybe around the holidays i'll have money again to get an ipod, maybe a price drop too... ??

beanman
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 12:54 AM

I went up to iTunes4 on my 17" and have no problems. The online store is sweet, but needs more of a selection. But then again, I'm pretty picky.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 03:16 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if this iPod actually can use Firewire 800. Notice how Apple's gone to a unified connector? There's complaints now that you can't use a regular firewire cable, but I'd say that we'll see a firewire 800 cable for the iPod being made available around the same time as the USB 2.0 upgrade for Windows users.

Anyway, it's just a guess

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:37 AM

in regards to the FW800??
yah

cambro
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
...Notice how Apple's gone to a unified connector? There's complaints now that you can't use a regular firewire cable
Damn right there are complaints!!! Come on, do you really want to carry around that stupid little dock thing on trips and such?? Sure, I think it would be cool if you have a desktop and it never leaves the house, but come on, most new Apple users are portable users! The last thing I want is another clunky object in my computer bag!

Not to mention that gone are the days of easy document transfers between computers with a simple firewire cable.

sith33
Apr 29, 2003, 11:26 AM

Keep in mind you don't have to use the dock, you can just use the cable that goes between the dock and the computer. Not perfect, but still better than carrying a dock. Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've plugged my iPod into my powerbook or any other computer, and it seems like it would have been unfeasable to try to dock with a firewire plug (at least to do it in a easy-in easy-out way). I'm excited to have the dock more than I'll miss having the firewire port.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by sith33:
Keep in mind you don't have to use the dock, you can just use the cable that goes between the dock and the computer. Not perfect, but still better than carrying a dock. Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've plugged my iPod into my powerbook or any other computer, and it seems like it would have been unfeasable to try to dock with a firewire plug (at least to do it in a easy-in easy-out way). I'm excited to have the dock more than I'll miss having the firewire port.
This still eliminates two important (to me) features. First, w/ the old iPods, you could walk up to any Mac w/ a FireWire cable and use your iPod, now you have to a special cable to tag along that does NOTHING but work on your iPod. Secondly, the FireWire cable that comes w/ the old iPod works on ANY FireWire device including hard drives and external burners, so you wouldn't hafta purchase another FireWire cable. Too, a single FireWire cable can connect 2 Macs and give you instant, fast, Mac-to-Mac transfers.

I'm very, very pleased with picking up the Rev. B 10GIG iPod for a nice discount at Target two weeks ago. I dig my control layout *a lot* more, and I would hate to know I was getting an iPod and there's no cases out to fit the new design; a brand new iPod with no case = scratches all over the back. My iSee case is perfect for me. My *only* gripe is that the new software doesn't give the old iPods the new games, but I'm next to positive that'll change soon.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 04:56 AM

All fine so far (German version)!

Of course, I can't buy from Apple Music Store (US only).
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

SwitchnSOON
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 07:02 AM

I have updated to Itunes 4 on my 17 PB. I have had no issues with it.

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by SwitchnSOON:
I have updated to Itunes 4 on my 17 PB. I have had no issues with it.
I just took the itunes 4 plunge last night... no issues at all. QT6.2 installed fine as well. the music store is really nice.. i just wish, as most others do, that the selection was better. I stilll can't think of anything i'd be willing to buy.

being able to preview the songs.. very nice indeed. it's so quick too... gotta love it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules