Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport extreme question, what will work with my 667Mhz Powerbook?

Airport extreme question, what will work with my 667Mhz Powerbook?
cougar337
Apr 29, 2003, 12:55 PM

I am wanting to get a Airport for my 667Mhz G4 Powerbook running 10.2.5. I am very confused as to what equipment to get. I know that the apple store make metion about Airport extreme ready computers and antenna's ......I'm so lost. please explain this to me and what equipment I need to get for my Powerbook.

Thanks!

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 01:38 PM

You will need an ordinary (non-Extreme) Airport card for your PowerBook. (Only the latest 'Aluminium' PowerBooks accept AE cards.)

Then any Airport BaseStation will work with your machine, even the new Airport Extreme ones. You will only be able to use 'regular' Airport speed (802.11b - up to 11Mbps).

In fact, this is the setup I have: Airport Extreme BaseStation providing wireless network to my (and my gf's) PowerBooks, with regular Airport cards. We don't get the benefit of Airport Extreme, but we do get to use USB printer sharing (which is nice)

Alternatively, you can get any wireless router that conforms to the 802.11b standard (which is what ordinary Airport uses). This will be compatible with your PB + Airport card.

cougar337  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 01:46 PM

That's very helpful....I understand a lot better. From what I can tell I can't order a regular Airport from Apple only the Airport Extreme. Do I need to get a base station with the modem and antenna and a airport card??

my goal is to set up a small wireless file sharing and DSL network between my PC running XP Pro and my Powerbook 667Mhz G4 10.2.5, will the Airport Base station do this?

thanks for all your help guys, believe me the forums have been a great help for this new switcher

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 02:06 PM

You need the Airport card and the BaseStation, but I think you will only need the cheaper BaseStation (without modem and antenna port). You only need the modem for connecting by dial-up, and the BaseStation already has an antenna built-in. The extra antenna option is if you need greater range (or have very thick walls where you live!)

How are you connected already?

For instance, do you have your DSL line going to a DSL modem, connected via ethernet cable to your PC?

If so all you do is connect the DSL modem to the WAN port on the Airport BaseStation (with an ethernet cable), then connect your PC via ethernet cable to the Basestation LAN port. (Or add a wireless card to the PC if you want to do it that way).

Then your PowerBook connects wirelessly to the Basestation. Your Basestation will handle the internet sharing/routing (as well as being a firewall) both wirelessly and for any wired machines connected to the WAN port. In other words: yes, it will do what you want

Actually this is also what I have in my setup, my PowerMac (which I use as a server) is connected direct to the Basestation by ethernet cable.

Hope this helps, just say if I'm not being clear

cougar337  (op)
Apr 29, 2003, 02:52 PM

My DSL does have USB and Ethernet, so I could use one or the other. I think you have made it very clear and I honestly think this is do-able.

that was one thing I was unclear about the antenna and modem port on the base station, thanks for clearing that up.

thanks again for everything, I will be making a purchase today

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by cougar337:
My DSL does have USB and Ethernet, so I could use one or the other. I think you have made it very clear and I honestly think this is do-able.
Stick with ethernet. You'll reun into problems if you try connecting a DSL modem to a Mac via USB. This requires drivers which are few and far between.

Forum Links
Forum Rules