Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Now this is scary....

Now this is scary....
Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 07:31 PM

i know we?ve seen these before, but I was particularly scared of this one: http://www.deviantart.com/view/1788730

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2003, 08:35 PM

Its ugly.

Why are you showing us this?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 09:43 PM

WTF?! Why do they even try?!
click one

Stuphalina  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 10:18 PM

Why are you showing us this?
Sorry, I was just so angry. And they even have an APPLE menu!!!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Sorry, I was just so angry. And they even have an APPLE menu!!!

Thats what I don't get. If your going to make your windows look "better" you might as well make your own logo, so you can pretend you have your own computer company. Why would you emulate Apple? Just save up for a couple months and get an iBook. geez.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Thats what I don't get. If your going to make your windows look "better" you might as well make your own logo, so you can pretend you have your own computer company. Why would you emulate Apple? Just save up for a couple months and get an iBook. geez.
i might ask the question of people who make themes that emulate windows themes.

infact.
i think 50% of the GOOD themes out there are ripoffs of Windows versions.

XP themes on OS X of course, watercolor, Fatal IE

I do think it's funny that he has an iTunes skin. lol.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 02:29 PM

why is it scary. it's only logical that people would want to combine the better gui elements of Mac with the compatability and software library of Win.

In fact I've been thinking of switching and doing just that exactly.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
why is it scary. it's only logical that people would want to combine the better gui elements of Mac with the compatability and software library of Win.

In fact I've been thinking of switching and doing just that exactly.
Trader! Are you out of you're mind?!

Anyway, I don't use any of the Windows theme ports, and i dislike them for looking like Windows. That's part of the reason I'm making themes now is to make some good non-port themes.
click one

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 03:08 PM

don't you mean "traitor".... people on Kazaa are traders.

anyway, I would't be getting rid of my mac... just adding a pc, becuase there have been a lot of things on XP recently I want, but just arent Mac compatable.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
i might ask the question of people who make themes that emulate windows themes.

infact.
i think 50% of the GOOD themes out there are ripoffs of Windows versions.

XP themes on OS X of course, watercolor, Fatal IE

I do think it's funny that he has an iTunes skin. lol.
well i gotta defend that.. watercolor is not just a direct port.. infact xp themers have ported Carbons version of watercolor. and as for FatalE Kol made that theme and before that all he did was port mac themes.. it was very mac inspired. oddly enough people on xp bitch that all the good windows themes are rips of macs so... :/

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 04:50 PM

if you guys want to see more examples take a look at this thread

http://www.visualstyles.net/board/in...4&t=211&st=405

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
WTF?! Why do they even try?!
Hey now, Not all of us have ugly desktops when 'emulating' OS X

*click here* for Fullsize shot

Chris

gveloper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:

Chris
That's so close it's scary.....
---
Dave Smith
[email protected] - AIM: Gveloper
KF4YYT

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 30, 2003, 07:42 PM

Chris
Holy "icons-on-the-desktop" batman

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 07:45 PM

the dock seems to be the wrong way round. apps are on the right with the trash.

but yes, so close it's scary is correct.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Holy "icons-on-the-desktop" batman
that's what a desktop is for is it not?

You should see it when it's messy, my desktop is also my default dload dir. (piles would be a god-send)

oh and regarding the dock being 'backwards' it's meant to be like that - taskbar on left (or right it's changable) and shortcut's on the right (or left) it's better than everything being cluttered together imho.

Chris

swiz
GUI Punk
Apr 30, 2003, 08:59 PM

that's what a desktop is for is it not?

You should see it when it's messy, my desktop is also my default dload dir. (piles would be a god-send)

oh and regarding the dock being 'backwards' it's meant to be like that - taskbar on left (or right it's changable) and shortcut's on the right (or left) it's better than everything being cluttered together imho.

Chris
I was just messin with ya, I am one of those anal retentive types who cant have more than three icons on my desktop.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
I was just messin with ya, I am one of those anal retentive types who cant have more than three icons on my desktop.
Heh, you think that's bad... I can't stand having a single icon on my desktop, including the HD icon (thank goodness the preferences allow you to remove it). I dunno, I just think the desktop pictures that I've downloaded are too nice to have any sort of clutter on them.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 10:29 PM

Chris
wow, you gotta admit that is pretty damn nice!

Vi0
Baninated
May 2, 2003, 05:25 AM

Not hard to believe. I imagine that OS X-like desktop eats up memory and processor power. Fonts are poor.

Ok imitation for a screenshot. Put it next to the real thing, and it's no comparison. Why not just buy a Mac?

Stuphalina  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 08:18 AM

Why not just buy a Mac?
That is what I would love to ask all of those people but then they get all defensive and whiny. I dont know what is worse....

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Why not just buy a Mac?
Because of the VAST software library available for Windows, and the VAST amounts of games available. I'm still a mac user for now, but I definately understand why someone would buy a PC for the compatabiltiy, and user GUI enhancements to make it look and act like a mac.

in case you didn't allready know, there are whole sites dedicated to this....they've got some cool stuff on this one:

http://www.aquaxp.com/

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 10:31 AM

I'm sorry but I just don't get it. It's a PC, it should BE a PC, if it's a Mac it should be a Mac.

I'm not a gamer and personally find 99% of all the games out there boring and pointless. As for apps, I havn't found anything yet that I needed not on the Mac so I don't get that either.

I know it sounds like Mac Zealot drivle but it's really not, if I was forced to use a PC I would have to use one, but I wouldn't make it LOOK like a Mac, cause it's still a PC.

I don't get it.

Mac Guru

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
I'm sorry but I just don't get it. It's a PC, it should BE a PC, if it's a Mac it should be a Mac.
I think it's pretty simple. PC's have more software and better general compatabiltiy. Mac's have a more elagant interface and methods of interacting with apps and files. It's only logical that people would want to combine the two to have the best of both world. have their cake and eat it too.

deadmole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 11:31 AM

I was strictly a PC user for 13 years. I have always loved the look of the MacOS and almost always found myself defaulting to the Mac themes that were available to me. Once I get my 21 inch monitor fixed, I'm pimping my PC machine out with all those mac emulation doodads. I didn't know they made a successful dock and such. Yay. It won't ever beat my iBook, but at least it'll be fun to try.
ugh... uhhh. Yah.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 11:36 AM

more software and better general compatabiltiy
I'm sorry but i just don't see this. Compatability would include the ability to interface with Mac's correctly. To this day, there are still companies out there producing software for the sole purpose of being able to read Mac CD's, and other media. Now to me the need for a 3rd party app to read a CD is a pretty big flag of incompatablility in that area.

As for the 'more software' the only reason that is true is because 9x% of the world uses PC's so there are a WHOLE lot more people coding for Windows software. A 'plethora' of apps is not always a GOOD thing

I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I just don't understand the PC > Mac makeover. It makes no sense.

Mac Guru

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2003, 12:01 PM

ok... let me try to put it another way.

A PC user sees a Mac and says to himself:

"Wow, OSX rocks... "
"Maybe I should get a Mac...."
"But Macs are expensive... and they can't run a lot of the apps i like."
"So instead I'll make my XP look and act like a mac."
"Cool... now I have the GUI of OSX and can still run Kazaa and Battlefield 1942! Rock On!"

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:27 PM

Yeah I guess I'm just not seeing it from the "Computers are for entertainment purposes, oh and maybe some work" POV

I use my computer for probably 85% work and the rest leisure so I just don't understand the PC guy saying "I can't use a Mac, cause my games and Kazaa won't run on it"

Mac Guru

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 02:52 PM

mine..heheh..
i'm still on a pc *sigh*
and anybody who looks at my desktop will know it's a pc...no hiding that.
but the dock is definitely great to use..can't wait for the 'real' dock..

clicky for biggy

and i agree with codywalton. that is how most pc users think.
besides, XP's quite bearable actually...i think it's a godsend and a huge improvement over the previous versions. no matter how crappy it is...
Ryan

m2bored
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 03:31 PM

What dock program is being used in the two above screen shots?

M2

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by m2bored:
What dock program is being used in the two above screen shots?

M2
Y'Z dock.
and he also did some other mods for PC users, such as Y'z Shadows, that emulates the shadow effect from open windows, like the ones used in Aqua. they're constantly updated and are freewares.
thank you Mr. Yamaguchi
Ryan

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Not hard to believe. I imagine that OS X-like desktop eats up memory and processor power. Fonts are poor.

Ok imitation for a screenshot. Put it next to the real thing, and it's no comparison. Why not just buy a Mac?
Yeah, I figured some 'zealot' would post this

I could take an OS X screenie, paste some windows icons on it and show you, and you'd still say the exact same thing. Why? Because it's Windows. The font is almost exact except for a little spacing problem, so why is it so poor? BTW I'm only using standard smoothing, I could have clicked on clear type to impress you, but why? I do this for me, not you.

Regarding memory... you really think OS X just does those effects without cpu and memory usage? You got to be kidding me. Why do you think the OS is so slow? Take out all the shadows and transparencies and it would be at least 25% faster.

Why not just buy a mac? heh. I am. I have enough saved, I'm just not going to be the dumbass with a crappy 1 Ghz G4 sitting there and a 2 Ghz 970 based machine come out the next month. I'm holding out. And who's to say I didnt already have a mac? Can't people decorate windows to be more G/UI friendly, especially if they are already used to the macintosh G/UI.

It's funny how people like you, try to tell people like me what we can do with our computers. Do I tell you that you can't have cow spotted seat covers just because you drive a mercades? No, cause I don't care either way, to each their own

And to the question above, I use ObjectDock personally. I find it to be more stable, and it shows running processes unlike y'z.

Chris

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 05:14 PM

And to the question above, I use ObjectDock personally. I find it to be more stable, and it shows running processes unlike y'z.

Chris
actually, the new Y'z dock v 0.7.5 does show running processes, there's a CPU monitor docklet that displays CPU and memory usage.

and as for stability, it never crashed on me yet...even when i'm doing a lot of heavy stuff and everything slowed down. it still works. besides, it's free.
Ryan

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Yeah I guess I'm just not seeing it from the "Computers are for entertainment purposes, oh and maybe some work" POV

I use my computer for probably 85% work and the rest leisure so I just don't understand the PC guy saying "I can't use a Mac, cause my games and Kazaa won't run on it"

Mac Guru
I think your just not seeing it because you dont want to admit it.

People have preferences onw hat they want to do, and what they want out of their computing experience, shouldnt we have choices? Or would you rather everyone go with MS because it's 95% of the market... Without choices there wouldnt be any apple.

Think different

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2003, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
actually, the new Y'z dock v 0.7.5 does show running processes, there's a CPU monitor docklet that displays CPU and memory usage.

and as for stability, it never crashed on me yet...even when i'm doing a lot of heavy stuff and everything slowed down. it still works. besides, it's free.
as far as I was last aware, y'z didnt show a taskbar(icons for the current apps you have open.) I thought it just showed shortcut's you made to various files.

Chris

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
Because of the VAST software library available for Windows, and the VAST amounts of games available. I'm still a mac user for now, but I definately understand why someone would buy a PC for the compatabiltiy, and user GUI enhancements to make it look and act like a mac.

in case you didn't allready know, there are whole sites dedicated to this....they've got some cool stuff on this one:

http://www.aquaxp.com/
i find that really weird b/c the biggest reason i love my mac so much is b/c of its software library, i have found every windows app i wanted to be much much better on OS X, except for a irc client
even a app like photoshop i found it to be much better on OS X. and xp doesnt have anything like Transmit for ftp. i could go on..

BUT you can see in my screen shot why i like windows...

http://www.qfrag.com/~kujo/winxp.png

swiz
GUI Punk
May 2, 2003, 06:35 PM

I just want to take this opportunity to clearly state that I am a Mac zealot and I could give a rats ass if people think thats bad or not...

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 08:09 PM

Regarding memory... you really think OS X just does those effects without cpu and memory usage? You got to be kidding me. Why do you think the OS is so slow? Take out all the shadows and transparencies and it would be at least 25% faster.
I take your point but I'm afraid it's jsut not true, here's my current usage:
Code:
PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE 22770 top 6.5% 0:00.34 1 14 18 300K 340K 596K 13.6M 22763 Terminal 4.6% 0:01.27 5 60 123 1.11M 12.0M 8.32M+ 110M 22475 Window Man 1.8% 1:29.87 3 189 609 6.57M+ 25.3M 30.5M+ 116M+ 22706 Palm Deskt 0.9% 0:16.70 1 44 99 808K 6.60M 2.87M 100M 0 kernel_tas 0.0% 18:13.78 26 0 - - - 57.7M 563M
(well just the top few of 55 program's running)

Note the percentage of processor power being used - 2.8% user, 4.2% sys in fact - and that's on a machine that goes up to 200%

Why is this?

1) efficient OS
2) very efficient graphics layer
3) hardware acceleration

Now I'm not saying that XP doesn't also have these things - I honestly don't know anything about XP. However, if I start OSX in headless mode - the figures look pretty much the same - but without the window manager using a whole whopping 1.8%.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2003, 08:26 PM

Why do you think the OS is so slow?
what?? huh?? i don't.. who does? OS X is not slow and speaking of "dumbass" i got a 700 emac.. sitting right here next to one of them 2 Ghz pc's that i hardly use..

i mean come Binary.. i'm not a moron or a dumbass.. i wouldnt sit here on a badly preforming OS if i had a 2 ghz box sitting next to me :/

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 2, 2003, 08:33 PM

as far as I was last aware, y'z didnt show a taskbar(icons for the current apps you have open.) I thought it just showed shortcut's you made to various files.

Chris
ow 'that' processes
well, if you have, say a word document open, and if you have a word shortcut in there, it will have that tiny pointer showing that the app is active, and the regular taskbar icon is displayed. and the taskbar will also display that applicaton and file active, regular wndows.

but no, it will not show an icon of a file in use or any other app other than the ones you put there. it still depends on the windows taskbar for that. (namely, non dock appointed apps)

maybe on the next revision. (you hear that mr. y ?)
Ryan

Dace
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 03:23 AM

Since everyone is posting pics of PCs that look like OS X, I thought I'd post a pic of my Mac looking like XP...

Here's one:

And here's another:

Max was right about Shinobi having extended menu bar caps; I used Shinobi's modified layo to create the XP menu you see in the screenshot. Now if only I knew how Smeger created "Selected Menu Text" endcaps, I could created better ones...ones similar to those used in XP perhaps. If Max knows how to do the selected menu text endcaps...maybe he should apply it to some of his themes, like BBX.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 03:51 AM

Window themers know that they can make a Mac OS X theme down to the very last detail.
One problem: it will never act like a mac, windows doesn't communicate with the user effectively and continues to use A,B,C drives.

Vi0
Baninated
May 3, 2003, 04:21 AM

mac imitators and windows imitators are so boring...identity crisis...or just want shock value. but there's no substance.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by sambeau:
I take your point but I'm afraid it's jsut not true, here's my current usage:
Code:
PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE 22770 top 6.5% 0:00.34 1 14 18 300K 340K 596K 13.6M 22763 Terminal 4.6% 0:01.27 5 60 123 1.11M 12.0M 8.32M+ 110M 22475 Window Man 1.8% 1:29.87 3 189 609 6.57M+ 25.3M 30.5M+ 116M+ 22706 Palm Deskt 0.9% 0:16.70 1 44 99 808K 6.60M 2.87M 100M 0 kernel_tas 0.0% 18:13.78 26 0 - - - 57.7M 563M
(well just the top few of 55 program's running)

Note the percentage of processor power being used - 2.8% user, 4.2% sys in fact - and that's on a machine that goes up to 200%

Why is this?

1) efficient OS
2) very efficient graphics layer
3) hardware acceleration

Now I'm not saying that XP doesn't also have these things - I honestly don't know anything about XP. However, if I start OSX in headless mode - the figures look pretty much the same - but without the window manager using a whole whopping 1.8%.

Yes, quartz does a great job at taking the load, but OS X IS slow graphically compared to windows. And thats because windows as a default doesnt have all of these effects that OS X does. I've used both, I do know what I'm talking about. I'm not going to argue with you guys, because quite frankly, you only hear what you want to hear.
My original point was that windows is no more affected by using these progs to 'emulate' OS X funtions, than the actual macOS is by having them default. I wasnt trying to start a OS war, unlike some people in here. I like both, and will use both to their max, let's leave it at that. I just think it's nice to have a good looking OS, and thats why I skin windows.

Chris

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 12:26 PM

Before my room mate broke down and bought a 12in, he spent over $100 in shareware to make his XP PC look like Mac OS X, and he took great pride in showing off his butchering. But I than took great satisfaction when his computer constantly froze, broke down, blue screened, and I could tell him off. Thank god he got a 12in, I can't take PC users complaining about their computers and asking for help from us Mac users. (not that I mind a lot, its just that it seems constant)

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Kujo:
what?? huh?? i don't.. who does? OS X is not slow and speaking of "dumbass" i got a 700 emac.. sitting right here next to one of them 2 Ghz pc's that i hardly use..

i mean come Binary.. i'm not a moron or a dumbass.. i wouldnt sit here on a badly preforming OS if i had a 2 ghz box sitting next to me :/
I didnt say OS X preformed bad And the dumbass remark wasnt meant to be a put down to other's. I meant I dont want to FEEL like a dumbass being shafted by a superior cpu a month after I bought an older one.

You guys shouldnt go looking for fights, when people arnt trying to start any

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 3, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
Before my room mate broke down and bought a 12in, he spent over $100 in shareware to make his XP PC look like Mac OS X, and he took great pride in showing off his butchering. But I than took great satisfaction when his computer constantly froze, broke down, blue screened, and I could tell him off. Thank god he got a 12in, I can't take PC users complaining about their computers and asking for help from us Mac users. (not that I mind a lot, its just that it seems constant)
$200 ?!?!?! I certainly wouldnt pay that. Windows can be made to look and act like OS X for free. Everything I use is freeware, except for objectbar, but that has alternatives too. I'm on a 2.53 Ghz P4, and XP has only crashed once on me (it was my fault too (drivers blech)). I really feel sorry for this minority that can't seem work their computers properly

Chris

swiz
GUI Punk
May 3, 2003, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
B I can't take PC users complaining about their computers and asking for help from us Mac users.
This is one thing that made me start to despise PC's so much in the first place. People would ask me what kind of computer to get, I would tell them and they would go buy a PC anyway then have problems and ask me for help. Im like, didnt I tell you to get a Mac and that if you bought a PC I wouldnt have the first clue how to helps solve problems?! They think that a computer is a computer is a computer. Just goes to show how little people actually know about computers when they get into buying one. Thye just want what is cheap and what they see the majority using becasue they assume that is the best hen actually it is just the cheapest.

Vi0
Baninated
May 3, 2003, 04:23 PM

That's right...most people are just sheepish vessels that go along with popular opinion no matter if its right or wrong...I totally agree with you.

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 07:00 PM

I didnt say OS X preformed bad And the dumbass remark wasnt meant to be a put down to other's. I meant I dont want to FEEL like a dumbass being shafted by a superior cpu a month after I bought an older one.

You guys shouldnt go looking for fights, when people arnt trying to start any

Chris
hehe, i dont want a fight

and i know you weren't calling me a dumb ass.. i was just saying.... i only have a 700 eMac and i got a 2ghz pc here and the mac performs better, i am sorry if thats not your experience, but its mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules