Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Music Sharing - Place to list your URL

iTunes Music Sharing - Place to list your URL
chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 08:10 PM

Put up a very basic site to list iTunes Music Sharing URL's. The idea is you can go here to find shared tunes and post a link to your own.

http://www.012484.com

Anybody using this feature on a LAN? How is it working for you? Over WAN connections I've found about 25% to be too slow to stream well.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 08:12 PM

LOL, how many times are you going to post this?

Check the "Lounge" thread...

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:21 PM

heh - not much of a challenge really to work out where you got the idea for that URL from.. jan 24th 1984m intro of the mac maybe...

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 08:45 PM

Heh? I dunno about the Lounge, there's lots of people that never go there.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 09:04 PM

You da man.

Originally posted by RevEvs:
heh - not much of a challenge really to work out where you got the idea for that URL from.. jan 24th 1984m intro of the mac maybe...

revs

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 09:09 PM

I posted this in the Lounge....

----------------
Posted on : 04-30-2003 01:00 AM

Nice site...as for the origin of the domain, that was a great day in history...I miss 1984.

"On January 24, 1984, Apple announced the Macintosh to their Board of Directors and to the world. The tiny computer was a radical departure from the large Lisa with it's 12" screen, just as the Lisa itself had been a huge departure from the Apple II series and the growing family of MS-DOS computers on the market."

----------------

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 09:24 PM

Rickey too the prize! Your free credit has been posted.

Well, I've only got one person up there so far, but it's so cool! I'm listening to some of his Audioslave tracks right now, and I really like them. Found me a new artist ...

Post some more!

Could somebody try my link out? Go to the site http://www.012484.com, and click on the one that says "Everything from Sinatra to Staind"

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 09:26 PM

WOO HOO....thanks! And yes, your link on the site works just fine!

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 09:29 PM

Thanks for checking my link! The only place I've found in iTunes 4.0 to see if people are connected to your machine is by going into Preferences and clicking on the Sharing tab. Seems like it should be easier than that to see what people are listening to.

Does the other link there belong to you?

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 09:31 PM

While I'm at it ... if anybody out there wants to take a crack at doing a UI for the site, let me know. I'd be happy to provide you a nice credit and link to your site or whatever.

Not sure if this will catch on, but it seems like a logical thing to me... Dunno...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Does the other link there belong to you?
No, it doesn't...but I am listening to their playlist right now!

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
No, it doesn't...but I am listening to their playlist right now!

It's mine

Good lord. There's 5 people on now. no wonder i'm lagging!
-.-
12" SuperDrive

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 09:45 PM

Dude, you have a good collection!

Thanks for introducing me to Audioslave, they are awesome. They remind me a little bit of Soundgarden, at least the lead singer does now and then.

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 10:10 PM

Dude, you have a good collection!

Thanks for introducing me to Audioslave, they are awesome. They remind me a little bit of Soundgarden, at least the lead singer does now and then.
haha, thanks! I'm adding more every day.

About the SoundGarden thing-- you're joking right...? You know it's the same lead singer (Chris Cornell).

[edit]

By the way, I may do the UI for your site-- I love writing PHP frontends and I'm pretty damn good at it if I do say so myself. You're using MySQL right?
-.-
12" SuperDrive

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 10:53 PM

Hey, cool about the UI! It's PHP and MySQL. Keep in touch, my .Mac email is on the site.

Oh and as far as Soundgarden goes, twas no joke ... I had no freaking idea. Same guy, huh? Funny...

Originally posted by dettociao:
haha, thanks! I'm adding more every day.

About the SoundGarden thing-- you're joking right...? You know it's the same lead singer (Chris Cornell).

[edit]

By the way, I may do the UI for your site-- I love writing PHP frontends and I'm pretty damn good at it if I do say so myself. You're using MySQL right?

dettociao
Senior User
Apr 29, 2003, 11:20 PM

Hey, cool about the UI! It's PHP and MySQL. Keep in touch, my .Mac email is on the site.

Oh and as far as Soundgarden goes, twas no joke ... I had no freaking idea. Same guy, huh? Funny...
Hahaha yeah that IS really funny that you would notice it. I did the same thing with Dashboard Confessional and Further Seems Forever.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 29, 2003, 11:37 PM

Cool idea, although I wonder if Apple will like people setting up lists like this...

At the moment most of the links seem to be skipping -- how many people can stream at a time on a normal cable model line, I wonder?

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 11:53 PM

I guess we are going to find out about the bandwidth issues in time, eh?

I can't image Apple would get bent about people sharing, I mean that's what the functionality is for, right? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic.

Originally posted by Icruise:
Cool idea, although I wonder if Apple will like people setting up lists like this...

At the moment most of the links seem to be skipping -- how many people can stream at a time on a normal cable model line, I wonder?

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
It's the same thing as listening to the radio, but being able to pick what songs you want to hear instead of a dj. Pefectly legal.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 01:07 AM

I think it's quite courageous what your doing, however, I have to agree with Icruise. The first window that pops up says, "This is for personal use only" - not for peer to peer. I'm not disagreeing with what your doing, but be aware. Your kind of targeting yourself... cool though!

bmedina
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 01:27 AM

I would think the music companies would love this idea. You can be introduced to all sorts of different kinds of music without actually downloading the files. Then if you find something you like, you can head to the iTunes Music Store and purchase a legal copy. If anything, it should spur sales.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 01:47 AM

Ok I don't get it. If i have a router and one of the 3 computers on the network I want people to connect to what IP address do I use?
The one for my internal network is 192.169.0.2 but the routers IP is different. So what the heck do I do?

"Barwaraaawww"

klinux
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 01:52 AM

Hey cool! This works! We have nothing like this in the PC world (been using a Mac for 10 months, still have plenty of PCs though) unless you want to count Kazaa.

I would add mine except I am too lazy to configure my router and I listen to mostly classical music anyway.

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 05:24 AM

I posted my link, daap://vibepusher.com but I am unable to connect to it myself. Is this as it should be? Can an iTunes user connect to him/her self?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Ok I don't get it. If i have a router and one of the 3 computers on the network I want people to connect to what IP address do I use?
The one for my internal network is 192.169.0.2 but the routers IP is different. So what the heck do I do?
You have to forward port 3689 (i think) on the router to point to the internal computer IP that is running iTunes. Then people connect to your external (router) IP.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Lew
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:53 AM

Put up a very basic site to list iTunes Music Sharing URL's. The idea is you can go here to find shared tunes and post a link to your own.

http://www.012484.com

Anybody using this feature on a LAN? How is it working for you? Over WAN connections I've found about 25% to be too slow to stream well.
The site appears to be down. I can't access it from my Mac or my PC.

Internet Explorer 5.5
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the www.012484.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer
Safari Beta 2
Could not open the page.

Could not open the page "http://www.012484.com/" because Safari could not load any data for this location.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by 3R1C:
I posted my link, daap://vibepusher.com but I am unable to connect to it myself. Is this as it should be? Can an iTunes user connect to him/her self?
I wasn't able to use this protocol on my home network. However, it worked fine when I was accessing my music over the internet from work.

OAW

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 04:05 PM

Yup, that site is toast.

3R1C, some cable/DSL routers can handle you connecting to your own hostname, and some choke. Can you access other services via your hostname, like the webserver? In any case, the sharing worked fine for me.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 04:07 PM

LOL, didn't this site just start yesterday? Hmm, maybe they are updating?

Mithras:

That is one badass signature...very cool what you have done.

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 04:56 PM

Well that's interesting ... I have never seen a message that says: This is for personal use only - not for peer to peer.

Where do you see that??

Originally posted by dadder:
I think it's quite courageous what your doing, however, I have to agree with Icruise. The first window that pops up says, "This is for personal use only" - not for peer to peer. I'm not disagreeing with what your doing, but be aware. Your kind of targeting yourself... cool though!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 04:57 PM

Chris:

What's up with the site man? Nobody can get through...

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2003, 05:04 PM

Well that's interesting ... I have never seen a message that says: This is for personal use only - not for peer to peer.

Where do you see that??
The message appears when you enable Sharing in the iTunes preferences.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 8, 2014 at 07:31 PM. )

chrisutley  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 05:15 PM

You know I don't know what is slowing the site down. I'm working on some improvements, but apparently some folks can't get the home page at all.

I'll have to check the server logs and see what the deal is. Maybe I'll have to move it...

I'm not sure what to make of personal use only message and how my site would compare to something like say Napster. I think the most important difference is that you cannot take possession of the music by using my site.

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 01:37 AM

Where do you see that??
Yeah, it's right when you click on the Sharing preferences in iTunes (just like you explain in your instructions). Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to point it out.

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 02:20 AM

mithras, this is awesome! i like computers and programs and all that fun stuff, but i'm not that technical with it when it comes down to it. this was so easy though! i just clicked that link, and im listening to sabatoge 2 minutes later! this has to be as cool, if not cooler than the music store! thanks!
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

3R1C
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
3R1C, some cable/DSL routers can handle you connecting to your own hostname, and some choke. Can you access other services via your hostname, like the webserver? In any case, the sharing worked fine for me.
Yes. I am able to see my own sites, vibepusher.com and beardedllama.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules