Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Itunes4 and G3

Itunes4 and G3
tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 12:32 PM

So with all this talk about music buying and the green icon- I would like to know if people on older machines -like my Pismo have noticed if the was any reduction in cpu usage. Or if perhaps the code (at least in certain areas) was optimized...

Some people on dual setups are saying that dual support was added - due to their cpu load reduction during playback.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 12:41 PM

I'm on an older machine, but it is a G4.. and I've noticed an enormous processor usage reduction; iTunes is now just as efficient as mpg123. Possibly they did a lot of Altivec optimizations, if you're not getting that?
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

daftpig
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
So with all this talk about music buying and the green icon- I would like to know if people on older machines -like my Pismo have noticed if the was any reduction in cpu usage. Or if perhaps the code (at least in certain areas) was optimized...

Some people on dual setups are saying that dual support was added - due to their cpu load reduction during playback.
Hi, I use a G3/400 iMac.

If you are talking about plain playback and listen, 4 is a little more responsive and efficient. I usu open the same combi of apps each time I powerup the mac so yes I do notice a slightly less dogged-down CPU. Tho I'd think there wouldn't be much for the G3s to notice.

If it's app startup, there's a very discernable speed-up.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 12:49 PM

Yes, iTunes 4 is heavely optimized for G4s judging by Preferences > Encoding "tab/section" as every entry for MP3/AAC/... says that its optimized for it. The interface feels "snappier" and it does not such as many CPU cycles as it used to, but then I am on a GigaTiBook. I've heard people on these forums claim that it is faster on the iBooks as well ... I would look in the iBooks forums for the definite answer to your question.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 02:08 PM

On my iBook it loads quicker and visualiser stays at a steady 13 rather than 11-12, and has hit 15fps! OMG!

tkmd  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by willed:
On my iBook it loads quicker and visualiser stays at a steady 13 rather than 11-12, and has hit 15fps! OMG!
Willed, have you udated to 10.2.5? it speeds up open gl nicely- I used to get fps in the 15-18 range in 10.2.4 after upgrading to .5 it fluctates between 18-24 (assuming there no load in the backround.

we have the same video cards.

I really do hope that there was some optiz in iTunes4. keep the obsrvations coming
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 03:56 PM

I use a G3 400 iMac. Playback responsiveness of iTunes 4 seems about the same as iTunes 3, which was already pretty responsive.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 10:46 PM

I use a 600 Mhz iMac. I did feel that
the interface is snappier and it didn't
take up much if any cpu while not playing

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 11:15 PM

Mine seems to be faster, but it may be because I read this thread iMac 700MHz G3

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 11:34 PM

3% to 5% reduction in processor usage when playing mp3s from my drive on a Pismo 500.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 11:39 PM

i think this may be the right spot? ? ? (if not, i am sorry and would love to be given a better spot to check. . .)anybody know if the music service supports resuming, for those of us not yet blessed to have cable/DSL? i have a 56k modem and whether it is something i set somewhere or my isp, i occassionally get logged out/disconnected while downloading and would not be too thrilled if i were to be getting a song and then have to pay for it again. . .any ideas (either if supports or how to fix)? thanks!!

nick

Colonel Panic
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
3% to 5% reduction in processor usage when playing mp3s from my drive on a Pismo 500.
i'm seeing the same results on an ibook 800 and a 17' powerbook. seems to be more processor-friendly than itunes3!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by zanyterp:
i think this may be the right spot? ? ? (if not, i am sorry and would love to be given a better spot to check. . .)anybody know if the music service supports resuming, for those of us not yet blessed to have cable/DSL? i have a 56k modem and whether it is something i set somewhere or my isp, i occassionally get logged out/disconnected while downloading and would not be too thrilled if i were to be getting a song and then have to pay for it again. . .any ideas (either if supports or how to fix)? thanks!!

nick
Welcome to the forums.

1st thing to know: Don't let dillerX tell you that you have to post Aria pictures first...

And start a new thread ... for every new thread!

good luck!

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 08:43 AM

I didn't aware compare iTunes 3 and 4, but 4 loads significantly faster, UI ist more responsive (hate that to say).

My main performance concern is encoding to AAC. It's sloooooow. I'm not too firm in AAC admittedly, but c'mon ... 2x is just awful.

I'm using an iBook 600, not the fastest, but mp3 in 160 Kbit encodes at 4x-5,5x...

Forum Links
Forum Rules