Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Display options

Display options
mbuhmann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2003, 09:13 AM

I'm going to be getting a PowerMac in June (first Mac I'll own... I'm getting very excited!). I'm still debating on what monitors to get. I would like flatscreens because it takes up less room but the Apple flatscreens are a bit expensive. I could get regular old tube monitors for $100-$150 each or flatscreens from some other manufacturer for $300-$350 each. How is the quality of flatscreens? I'm going to be using this system primarily for video editing and DVD mastering. Thanks for your opinions.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by mbuhmann:
I'm going to be getting a PowerMac in June (first Mac I'll own... I'm getting very excited!). I'm still debating on what monitors to get. I would like flatscreens because it takes up less room but the Apple flatscreens are a bit expensive. I could get regular old tube monitors for $100-$150 each or flatscreens from some other manufacturer for $300-$350 each. How is the quality of flatscreens? I'm going to be using this system primarily for video editing and DVD mastering. Thanks for your opinions.
Im in the same boat and Im saving up for the apple cinema display. They blow any flat screen out of the water and put the tubes to bed! Im going to get the 20 inch but the 17" monitor is amazing also --great price too --

Macola
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 05:25 PM

If you're doing primarily video editing you would be better off with a good (e.g. Trinitron) CRT. I personally use a 19" Viewsonic VX900 LCD and love it, but I don't do professional video editing, just home movies.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

deTaNg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2003, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by mbuhmann:
You're fine with a the Flat Screens. As long as you have enough resolution and screen space to edit you're good for go. The only thing I'd make sure of is the quality of the Flat Screens. They vary from manufacturer. Some are sharper and brighter than others. But for the most part you're good. If you're doing highly color intensive work, I'd recommend a CRT because Flat Panel isn't precise enough to be measured for color into a set gamut range. But otherwise, go for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules