Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jesus freaks and homophobia

Jesus freaks and homophobia (Page 2)
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
First of all, do you have any backup at all for your 90%? But also, I imagine that a lot of the wars that are classified in this way were certainly between people of different religions, but I would dispute that that mean they are caused purely by religion itself. I struggle to think of any war that was fought purely for religious grounds, without there being a desire to capture or regain territory, settle old scores, or persue the personal agenda of a tyrant.
You want a backup? Read the bible.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
You know my friend found lots of proof in his anus that you're a troll.
Does God allow his childrens to use that kind of tone?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:13 PM

Read John 6:66

(yes it actually is a verse)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:18 PM

You know my friend found lots of proof in his anus that you're a troll.
Ya sounds like something a minister would do to a Choir boy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
That story is in the Bible, I'll find it given enough time (if nothing else I'll call my dad who's a minister and ask him where it is).
Ok, I was wrong, I misremembered the story. I was thinking of Mark 9:14-22. It was the apostles who were unable to cast out the spirit and gave up, but then Jesus was able to.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:22 PM

That's right, cause most ministers are married, unlike catholic preists who oftne do take out sexual frustrations on choir boys. Serious star wars guy, I don't mindi f you're an ass, but don't be an ignorant ass.

Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:24 PM

That's right, cause most ministers are married, unlike catholic preists who oftne do take out sexual frustrations on choir boys. Serious star wars guy, I don't mindi f you're an ass, but don't be an ignorant ass.
I donte minde iff you poste butt pleese learnn to speal.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 10:25 PM

Read John 6:66

(yes it actually is a verse)
From that moment many of His disciples turned back and no longer walked with Him.
Yeah, that's a useful bit there...

In context, this was when Jesus introduced the concept that became the sacrament of communion. Those who eat of his flesh and drink of his blood shall live forever.

Of course, he also said "This is the bread that came down from heaven; it is not like the manna your fathers ate--and they died. The one who eats this bread will live forever." (John 6:58), which would seem to imply that taking communion would grant immortality, and not in the "live forever in heaven" sort of way.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:31 PM

It would imply that if you were ignorant to the rest of the bible I suppose.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 10:32 PM

Jesus taught an accepting religion?
Man you really are ignorant hahaha, read a bible before you tell someone what they believe.
Matthew 5:43-48:
43�_"You R169 have heard that it was said, `YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.' 44�_"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45�_so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46�_"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47�_"If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48�_"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect
Unless you're going to say that Matthew wasn't preaching the word of Jesus (in which case, why does he have a Gospel of his own?), I think it's safe to say the the religion of Jesus was a caring, forgiving, loving, and accepting one.

Matthew 6:5-8 (probably my favorite passage)
5�_"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6�_"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. 7�_"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. 8�_"So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him
Stop trying to present yourself as the penultimate of Christian faith and piety. Truely I say to you, you have your reward in full. Don't tell me I need to read the Bible.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:38 PM

Perhaps you just need to read your bible and understand it who am I to say you don't read it... although most people who read their bibles actually absorb something I've found.

Christianity was never taught as accepting, if you look at what Paul wrote, it talks about battling with concepts of what people think. Jesus Himself tore a strip off the religious leaders several times that we know of.

Accepting is not what Christianity is. Towards the world we're not supposed to hold anyone to our standards, but within the church we have some very deffinate things that we need to abdie by and can not accept any difference from those otherwise we compromise what we stand for, and who we love.

Do I ever hold anyone outside the church to God's standards? No. Is the church supposed to be unaccepting of worldly ideas that contradict what we know from God? Deffinately.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 10:41 PM

Do I ever hold anyone outside the church to God's standards? No. Is the church supposed to be unaccepting of worldly ideas that contradict what we know from God? Deffinately.
You say homosexuality is wrong and that gays should be banned from being legally (NOT religiously) treated as a married couple. That is holding people outisde the church to what you believe to be God's standards.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:44 PM

I accepted Christianity and God gave me this face:

Don't be like me please.
Uhh, ok.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:46 PM

Dude don't put words in my mouth!

I never once said that gays should be denied the same privilages legally as straight people.
The only concern I have with gay couples is the addoption of kids, and I think that while where are gay couples that could be fine parents, most people today are not decent parents. In general I don't think many people should be allowed to addopt but that's another issue intirely.
I have no problem with gay unions being legally recognized, however calling it a marrige is kinda dumb, you're changing something that already exists to make it suite your own desires.

even then I could care less.

And I never said I hold any gay people to my standards, I tell my nonchristian friends their music theift is wrong too, but I don't go and bash it into their heads.
just as if I had any gay friends they'd know that wouldn't be an issue with me, I've got one friend who used to say she was bi, another guy who I'm no longer friends with states he's bi, and junk, I don't think any less of him becuase he's bi (although on other things he's a twit.)

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
Christians believe that a common man shouldn't be allowed to have sexual relations with another man unless one of them is ordained into the faith. Any homosexual act commited without a priest present is irreligious, disrespectful, and frowned upon.

So you see, they aren't against homosexuality, they just like to see it done right.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:51 PM

hehe it's halarious when people assume christians are catholic.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 10:53 PM

I never once said that gays should be denied the same privilages legally as straight people.
The only concern I have with gay couples is the addoption of kids, and I think that while where are gay couples that could be fine parents, most people today are not decent parents.
I'm confused. Here, you're either changing the subject mid-sentance, or your contradicting yourself with two consecutive sentences. Are you saying that gays, specifically, should not be allowed to adopt (in which case you're contradicting your previous statement that you don't want to deny them the same legal privlidges as straight people), or are you completely abandoning the whole gay/straight thing (which is sorta the point of this thread) and saying that most people aren't good enough to be parents (again holding people to your standards)?

And I never said I hold any gay people to my standards, I tell my nonchristian friends their music theift is wrong too
I don't see how the two things are equatable at all...

Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 10:55 PM

The only concern I have with gay couples is the addoption of kids, and I think that while where are gay couples that could be fine parents, most people today are not decent parents.
Read that again and then you will know why people think you are a moron.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 11:00 PM

You can express concern and state facts without putting your standards onto other people, and I was stating that there are tons of people who arn't wanting to addopt for good reasons.

One major concern I have is with gay parents who don't care that their kids will get teased and picked on for having two dads or something, and who might not even really know how to parent expecting to get a kid.
Everyone says OH GAYS SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE KIDS, and people get out raged when they can't, but does anyone ever ask these people WHY they want a kid.
And "becuase we want someone to love" is a bogus awnser, if you want that get a dog... they sound like 15 year old girls who get knocked up so they can have a little baby that they forget grows up and actually wants a real mom.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Read that again and then you will know why people think you are a moron.
Currently, his brain's Input system is broken so he cannot understand anything that we're saying to him.

I guess we should pray for him.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 11:02 PM

One major concern I have is with gay parents who don't care that their kids will get teased and picked on for having two dads or something...
How is it any different from their kids being teased and picked on for having fat parents?

Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
How is it any different from their kids being teased and picked on for having fat parents?
IN that case I think Superchickens parents are the ones getting teased

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2003, 11:08 PM

You can express concern and state facts without putting your standards onto other people, and I was stating that there are tons of people who arn't wanting to addopt for good reasons.
You didn't say anything of the sort. You said that there are gay people who want to adopt but that you think they shouldn't because most people are bad parents.

One major concern I have is with gay parents who don't care that their kids will get teased and picked on for having two dads or something, and who might not even really know how to parent expecting to get a kid.
You think they don't care that their kids might get teased and/or picked on? They know exactly what that's like, as they almost definitely had to deal with it growing up gay. And if they live somewhere that they didn't have to deal with that, then neither will their kids be likely to have to deal with the teasing.

Everyone says OH GAYS SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE KIDS, and people get out raged when they can't, but does anyone ever ask these people WHY they want a kid.
And "becuase we want someone to love" is a bogus awnser, if you want that get a dog... they sound like 15 year old girls who get knocked up so they can have a little baby that they forget grows up and actually wants a real mom.
Just because you don't understand why people want to have children doesn't mean they shouldn't have children. Raising a child is a completely different experience than having a pet dog. The fact that you equate the two just shows you don't have the life experience to be participating in this discussion. Please stop.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 11:10 PM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2003, 11:30 PM

Simply because you devalue human life to being of the same value as an Experince, shows that you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Interesting how the only gay hate on these boards comes from Jesus freaks.

Its either "they're incapable of love", "they're mentally ill" or the insinuation that "gay = paedophile" comes up as soon as the Jesus freak can hit the "reply to topic" button. And these are just the first few examples (I thought of) of recent hate posts.

On the flip side of the coin you don't see (or read) of gay people openly attacking (unless in defence) religious people. To generalise :- gays have been on the wrong end of the nasty stick by being the subject of discrimination, vilification and sometimes physical violence and because of knowing what its like to be harrassed so many gays have the attitude of "live and let live".

The question is :- Why is there so much hate in religion? Why are they on the attack? Its not even a case of "turn the other cheek" as gays aren't the ones throwing the punches. Why do they want to impose their religious beliefs on others?

I know this does not apply to all religious people on this board nor does it apply to all religions but the vocal christians here sure sound like they wish they could click their fingers to make a bunch of us burn in hell.
Ah yes, a religion thread. You see, most religions are very intolerant and certainly of a past era. Why are there so, so many rules you have to follow in order to be classified as a good person, who knows.

This topic reminds me of the recent story regarding that goon Rick Senorum (sp?), the PA senator. As a PA resident, and a registered republican (which is going to change), he is an embarrassment with his ridiculous comparisons. What he said about consensual gay relations equaling incest is another example of intolerance and an unwillingness to face truths with an open mind. Yeah, he was supposedly only talking about the constitution, but he also never retracted his statements.

There are many other cases where I scratch my head wondering why people won't do things just based on some dogma. (Abortion comes to mind)
Can you tell I don't practice/believe anything?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2003, 12:13 AM

Simply because you devalue human life to being of the same value as an Experince, shows that you shouldn't be allowed to have kids.
WTF does that mean? How do gays "devalue human life"?
If anything it should be recognized as wrong for valid reasons and then move on to why speeding is wrong, and why music theift is wrong, but of course that probably doesn't even belong in a public sermon, but rather in private bible studies where you can deal with people's questions so it doesn't become a case of blind faith after what someone else said but instead with what God says.
WHAT? How bout you tell us EXACTLY what 'valid reasons' there for homosexuality being 'evil'.
Originally posted by torsoboy:
the answer to your question (why is homosexuality wrong/evil/a sin) is an answer that you will not accept. we believe that it is a sin because that is what jesus taught us. [look up sodom/sodomy in the bible. or anything about man laying with man. or anything about fornication(as of now the men are not married as far as i know)]
"Because" is not an answer, it doesn't matter if you add "the bible says so" to the end.
Originally posted by torsoboy:
for example: people who think war is evil, stand up against war. They gather groups and start yelling and screaming about how wrong war is. they burn flags and pictures of the president. they feel that the people that are causing the war should be punished. etcetera.
So the taking of human life and homosexuality can be compared equally? I think not.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 12:27 AM

hehe it's halarious when people assume christians are catholic.
you say potato...

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 12:27 AM

Thanks Superchicken - people like you make me feel much more happy with myself.

So - the main reasons for the religious hatred of gays is two reasons :-

1. the clergy must be involved in all gay sex - without a priest gay sex is just wrong
2. homophobia is increased to counter-act the latent homosexuality in the love between Jesus and his followers. "Hey, I'm not gay but I sure do love that guy over there with the beard and cute sandals. Is he single?"

Disappointing though - where is Zimp? Hope he isn't ill.
this sig intentionally left blank

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
Thanks Superchicken - people like you make me feel much more happy with myself.

So - the main reasons for the religious hatred of gays is two reasons :-

1. the clergy must be involved in all gay sex - without a priest gay sex is just wrong
2. homophobia is increased to counter-act the latent homosexuality in the love between Jesus and his followers. "Hey, I'm not gay but I sure do love that guy over there with the beard and cute sandals. Is he single?"

Disappointing though - where is Zimp? Hope he isn't ill.
lol. I love too how the freakin Pope had to have a great big meeting with all his underlings to discuss whether or not to address and curb the problem of priests molesting patrons of thier church. HELLO - you do!

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2003, 01:44 AM

One thing I don't understand, is why some are so adament and vocal about gays going to hell...yet fail to mention other sinners.
I don't see people holding signs up saying God Hates Liars, or God Hates People Who Have Pre-marital Sex"
Nevermind everything else the Bible says people will go to Hell for...just concentrate on the gays.
I forget where I was going with this now

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 03:45 AM

good point Andrew - why do JFs concentrate purely on gays and not on adulterers?

Conversely - why don't they praise people whom the bible mentions favourably? Like you never see JFs carrying signs "blessed are the meek" or "meek people got some great real estate coming to them" - sorry, too many Monty Python movies.

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 05:11 AM

Hmmmm

torsoboy said

"for those who say "I beleive what i believe and you believe what you believe, and we'll all be happy", what kind of crap is that? if you really believe that it is wrong, why would you let others teach your kids that it is okay? why would you want to allow the rest of the world to go on doing this thing that you think is evil (aka, fence sitting)? it sounds like a lack of moral conviction to me."

Not wishing to be offensive, but sounds like you would be a good disciple of recently infamous middle eastern religious sects, with very similar views, who decided to make others take notice of their particular religious point of view in the recent acts of terrorism perpetrated world wide. Just because you, or I believe something is wrong, ie a value judgement, and can point to either the Bible, or the Koran to reinforce/try to 'prove' a particular point of view, what an earth then makes it 'OK' to push that on others. Lets not forget the history of the Christian church, in particular Catholicism is littered with the butchering and murdering of innocent people who didn't agree with 'mainstream' held views, or where suspect to the paranoia of the Church, re heresy, and the torturing and burning alive at the stake that followed, during the horror years of the Inquisition.

I do note how it was perpetrated in the name of 'Christian love' and how it is always so conveniently swept under the carpet, or argued away as if in those 'dark ages' somehow the church was in error, but as it happened a long time ago, we'll just kind of overlook that little fact of utter horror the Catholic 'branch' of Christianity perpetrated on innocent people.

IMHO, live and let live has an awful lot going for it. Historical fact shows the effects of the opposite point of view. Time we learnt something from it I would humbly suggest.

Superchicken said:

"Man you really are ignorant hahaha, read a bible before you tell someone what they believe."

Again, I have no wish to seem offensive, however the biblical quote:

"Knowest thou that judgest, that thou art judged also"

comes strongly to mind here. I am sure superchicken, with your seemingly extensive knowledge of the Bible and Christian doctrine and theory, that you will be quite familiar with that quote.

Humility is a wonderful thing.

And I daresay, myself included, we could all practice more of it.

I'ts plainly evident in world events happening TODAY that religious intolerance is demostratably more "evil' than the evils it purports to correct by adherence to and the reinforcement of the particular religious beliefs. Be that Christianity, Muslem, Hindi etc.

If Christianity, amongst other world religions, is primarily about love, then to practice it, rather than practicing or inciting hatred, in the 'name' of love, would be a very desirable goal IMHO if the world is to progress beyond the continuing level of relgious hatred being demonstrated world wide as I type, and move to a change of tolerance and acceptance FOR ALL of mankind.

If there's ever going to be any real peace in the world, and a Happy and fullfiling life for any of us, or our children, then the world needs to move away from the path of religious fanatacism and fundamentalism that has caused so much misery through the ages, and looks so sadly like continuing, whether it be Muslim, Christian, or whatever.

Anyway, just my 2c worth.

Peace to All

Johnboi...
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 26, 2003, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by tintub:
Christians believe that a common man shouldn't be allowed to have sexual relations with another man unless one of them is ordained into the faith. Any homosexual act commited without a priest present is irreligious, disrespectful, and frowned upon.

So you see, they aren't against homosexuality, they just like to see it done right.
These words make me angry.

� No christian in their right mind endorses pedophilia.
� NO CHRISTIAN IN THE RIGHT MIND THINKS THAT HOMOSEXUAL ARE WORSE MEN THAN THEY ARE. HOMOSEXUALS ARE JUST THAT - MEN, NO DIFFERENT EXCEPT SEXUAL ORIENTATION. It is the HOMOSEXUAL act that is wrong.
In vino veritas.

deekay1
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:

? No christian in their right mind endorses pedophilia.
...they just practise it a lot.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2003, 08:35 AM

No christian in their right mind endorses pedophilia.
NO CHRISTIAN IN THE RIGHT MIND THINKS THAT HOMOSEXUAL ARE WORSE MEN THAN THEY ARE. HOMOSEXUALS ARE JUST THAT - MEN, NO DIFFERENT EXCEPT SEXUAL ORIENTATION. It is the HOMOSEXUAL act that is wrong.
Are people who sin not sinners?

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 08:36 AM

The answer is really more simple than all of this yammering suggests.

The bible was written by men who took all of their fears and prejudices and justified them by making up God and the whole pile of bull**** that is...the bible.

This is not a book written by enlightened men. It is a compilation of zealous rantings that were discovered by other zealots who DECIDED that they were all the works of "the lord". The ideas in the bible are VERY old and out of date.

"I got sick eating some pork, pork therefore is unclean, God said so."

"I accidently saw my Dad maked and it freaked me out! That must be a sin."

"My uncle butt-raped me and it REALLY hurt, therefore gay people are sinners."

Lets just assign EVERYTHING we don't like to our religion. I hate it when people obsess about their stupid...fucking...cars, LET'S MAKE IT A SIN!

Yeah, I'm oversiplifying a little but this is how I see it. Religions are were made up to explain what we don't know, to justify our existence, and to justify our own idiotic beliefs. Hating, or at least "not embracing" homosexuals is one very small part of the whole reason that religions exist in the first place.

--Oh yeah, and Catholicism is not a religion. If it never had existed and people tried to start practicing it today, it would be called a cult and an abomination.--

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

gadster
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 10:14 AM

Say, how come all these religious threads have the WORST SPELLING EVER?
e-gads

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 10:36 AM

? No christian in their right mind endorses pedophilia.
? NO CHRISTIAN IN THE RIGHT MIND THINKS THAT HOMOSEXUAL ARE WORSE MEN THAN THEY ARE. HOMOSEXUALS ARE JUST THAT - MEN, NO DIFFERENT EXCEPT SEXUAL ORIENTATION. It is the HOMOSEXUAL act that is wrong.
"It is the homosexual act that is wrong."

I find myself drawn to challenge that which is a subjective opinion presented as fact.

It is wrong TO YOU. Lets face it, we all have our own opinions on many different topics.

However, seeking to justify YOUR OPINION and present it as fact by quoting or misquoting Biblical scripture in any way you may choose, or perhaps quoting Christians generally, as a religious group that holds your personal opinion/belief as you have done here, so as to present your opinion as objective fact is a general ploy and fundemental mistake that seems to be very common amongst the more fundementalist Christian element in society.

The premise is that a literal interpretation of Biblical scripture cannot be questioned or faulted, and therefore is above criticism, or any sort of rational analysis or debate. Much in the same manner as the more extremist adherents to the Koran.

The fact that different branches of the Christian church have different viewpoints on this, is conveniently overlooked.

The pre-eminent feature of religious fundementalism/dogma, is that it flies in the face of rational logic, and propogates intolerance and hatred across many different societal boundaries and cultures, despite claiming to do so in the name of 'love' or Brotherly Christian love, as the seemingly more homophobic members are want to describe it.

I greatly respect and belive in the message that Christ taught of love, tolerance, and forgiveness.

However when it is interpreted by fundementalists in which ever particular way they wish to choose, and then wielded by them against others that they do not philosophically agree with, I feel bound to express the viewpoint that Western Christian fundementalism appears to be almost as harmful to society, albeit as it appears, in not such an overtly violent way, as that which presently stems from the various extremist sects preaching their particular extremist viewpoint of the Koran at this present time.

To my way of thinking, fundementalism is a particular ill of modern society, be it Christian or any other sort of religious faith.

The teachings of Christ almost seem quite opposite to the viewpoint expressed in this thread by various so-called Christian members. Tolerance, healing, forgiveness, charity, humility being amongst them.

Indeed, one wonders if fundementalism really has any connection with the central message of Christ any more. Perhaps the philistines mentioned in scripture, could be more readily found in this day and age amongst the fundementalists themselves.

I do not wish to offend, either in my comments, or the manner in which I've expressed them, however I'd love to see/hear more fundementalist Christians actually practicising, instead of preaching, the Christian message of love, peace, and goodwill to ALL men.

And not presenting their personal religious dogma and opinions, as unassailable fact.

Peace to ALL

Cheers

Johnboi..
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

Zimphire
Baninated
May 26, 2003, 12:54 PM

Wow I wasn't even apart of this thread and I don't know HOW many times the star wars loser mentioned my name.

Unhealthy obession anyone?

I guess some people want people to accept them the way they are, but don't think they need to do the same to others. Oh, oh, the hypocricy.

We will see who is wrong and who isn't in the end I guess. I know I wouldn't want to take my chances. The odds aren't very good.

coolmacdude
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 02:04 PM

Jesus taught an accepting religion?
Man you really are ignorant hahaha, read a bible before you tell someone what they believe.
This argument is caused by a misunderstanding of the Bible. Jesus didn't teach an accepting religion in the respect that he accepted as OK things contrary to his teaching. However, he didn't hate people who practiced those things either. The Bible teaches that Christians are to love all people, regardless of what faith/beliefs/actions they consider right. Nowhere in the Bible does it say you have a right to hate someone if they do X. The Bible clearly says that each persons life is based on his choices alone, no one else can make choices for him. While the Bible does teach that Christians are to witness to others, once they have done so, if people reject that and choose not to believe in God, that is their choice. No malice or contempt should be held against them for that.

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 03:05 PM

What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Amorya
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 03:11 PM

Quoting from the thread I just linked to... I thought this post was quite qood

I thought I'd inject a little public service announcement into the discussion. Here, for the facilitation of discussion, is a handy cut-out-n-keep guide to the various standard attitudes towards this Question. Now there is no need to spend a page saying nothing new to specify your position, you can simply say for example "I'm a number 1" or "I think 2 and 4". Although the crusaders amongst you will be disappointed at this curtailment of an opportunity to spout, it will make it easy to spot any new and original points and arguments. So here they are:

1) Fags are intrinsically evil and are all paedophiles anyway [I am a bigot]

2) Homosexuality is inconsistent with six passages in scripture [I am the Lambeth Conference]

3) Homosexuality is not part of God's ordained plan for loving relationships, which require the complementarity of male and female [I am a natural law nut]

4) Homosexuals in themselves are sinful [I am judgemental]

5) Homosexual feelings/people are not sinful, but homosexual acts are [I am a dualist]

6) Gays should not be ordained [I have no idea how many already are]

7) I think 2) really, but it isn't that big a deal [some of my best friends are gay]

8) It's all a gray area [I am David Hope]

9) The evidence for homosexuality being inconsistent with scripture is questionable [I have actually looked at context]

10) The argument for homosexuality being inconsistent with scripture is incorrect [I have a gloss and I know how to use it]

11) Male-female complementarity is not the only complementarity for relationships [I think natural law arguments are idiotic anyway]

12) Homosexuals are made that way [I have a clue]

13) Homosexuality is a choice [I've never talked to a gay person]

14) Homosexual people and homosexuality are as good or bad as hets and hettyness, and homosexuality as well as hettyness is to be celebrated as a gift from God [I am incarnationalist, hurrah]

15) Lets go shag whoever we want [I am a rebellious teenager]
Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 26, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
One thing I don't understand, is why some are so adament and vocal about gays going to hell...yet fail to mention other sinners.
I don't see people holding signs up saying God Hates Liars, or God Hates People Who Have Pre-marital Sex"
Nevermind everything else the Bible says people will go to Hell for...just concentrate on the gays.
I have many many times said a sin is a sin is a sin. That having sex with another man is no worse than lying, or having permirtial sex. I have even said I was no worse or better than anyone that has homosexual sex. We are ALL sinners.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
I have many many times said a sin is a sin is a sin. That having sex with another man is no worse than lying, or having permirtial sex. I have even said I was no worse or better than anyone that has homosexual sex. We are ALL sinners.
If a sin is a sin is a sin, then that would mean that say, killing someone is no worse than having homosexual sex. You might want to think about that.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 26, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by qnxde:
If a sin is a sin is a sin, then that would mean that say, killing someone is no worse than having homosexual sex. You might want to think about that.
In God's eyes it's not. In our worldly laws it is. I have thought about it.

simonjames  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 08:38 PM

So - you know god's opinion do you? you must be mighty close

There is still no explanation as to the unreasonable concentration of hatred of gays by religious people - there are many other sinners and yet gays get singled out for the special treatment.

wilwil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 08:56 PM

KILLING SOMEONE IS NO WORSE THAN HAVING HOMOSEXUAL SEX
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

oh dear god you people are deluded!

I love the fact that these people with obvious Mental Deficiencies can argue that loving someone...or indeed ****ING MEN....COZ THATS WHAT WE DO...IS WRONG....i am sorry.....you are just completely Screwed....

Let me put it simply and succinctly...being gay rocks...i love it...and from this day on...i can produly say i have been compared to Charlie Manson!

benb
May 26, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
Yea, that bugs me too. And it makes me sad. But I think that maybe it has been a "hot topic" in America during the last few decades. Like abortion. Or the death penalty. Or school prayer. Or the pledge of allegiance.

benb
May 26, 2003, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by wilwil:
KILLING SOMEONE IS NO WORSE THAN HAVING HOMOSEXUAL SEX
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

oh dear god you people are deluded!

I love the fact that these people with obvious Mental Deficiencies can argue that loving someone...or indeed ****ING MEN....COZ THATS WHAT WE DO...IS WRONG....i am sorry.....you are just completely Screwed....
Thank you, I probably am deluded.

The notion that love is always good, or that no bad can come of love is incorrect. There are many instances where love is not right. Adultery is one, idolatry another.

I am screwed? Well, I would write more, but you would probably flame me even more than you will already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules