Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 and 14

12 and 14
arkitus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 04:46 AM

Hi

A question: Is the 14" ibook better or the 12" model? they are both 1024x768?

Bearing in mind that when i mean the 14, i mean the high-end 14.

thanks in advance.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 06:17 AM

It's better in just one area--battery life. Because it's physically larger, it carries a larger battery.

Other than that, they are the same. The screen size will have to be a subjective judgement on your part. Personally, I prefer the smaller machine. It's easier to carry. Both have beautiful screens.

Chris

arkitus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.

If they are the same, then this review most only be corrcet for the older ones right?
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...tml?tag=subnav

and will i be able to do easy php programming on an ibook?

thanks

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 01:04 PM

That review is correct for the current iBooks, but it's not showing a difference between the iBooks themselves. It's showing the effect of one having more RAM than the other. Whatever iBook you buy, I recommend maxing out the RAM at 640MB. The additional 512K SO-DIMM you'll need to buy only costs about $75.

Chris

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 01:08 PM

I just bought a 12" last week and personally, I LOVE the size. I thought it would be hard using a 12" display, but it is completely worth it because I feel like I can carry this thing anywhere. It fits in my backpack so much better than my 15" TiBook did. That thing was just clunky!

smaller = better

Does anyone think the 12" display is brighter than the 14"?

arkitus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 01:27 PM

I just dont know what to do.

12" iBook or PowerBook?!?!

biposto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by arkitus:
I just dont know what to do.

12" iBook or PowerBook?!?!
If you mean the 12" powerbook, go for the iBook, max out the ram, you will like it.
The latest revisions of the iBook (700,800,900mhz)are really good, nice specs for a reasonable price.
The 12" powerbook in its current form is somewhat crippled with only 256k cache and slower bus speed compared to its other powerbook siblings.

vickster
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 03:53 PM

I'd think the new 12" iBook 900 would likely be just as fast as the 12" PB, except in Altivec enhanced apps like P-shop or FCP...

vickster

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 04:16 PM

I bought a 12" 800mhz iBook a few months ago and didn't like the screen size at all. Although i thought i'd adjust to the smaller screen, it never happened.

Last week I traded it in for a new 14" 900mhz iBook... absolutely no problems. My eyes are fine now.

So, before listening to someone insisting "get the 12 inch", look at both models for yourself.

I will never go back to a 12".

-DJ
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 09:13 PM

The 12" and 14" are basically what everyone has said so far. What the last poster said is also important, make sure that you don't mind how big things look on the 12" iBook. For example I'm perfectly fine with my 12" iBook, but my mom wonders how the heck I can stand reading anything on it.
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

arkitus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, and regarding the 12 or 14, i preffer the 12 after seeing some photos.

About the iBook vs PowerBook part:

(1) I program PHP, mySQL, HTML and that kindof stuff ( www.arkitus.com )

(2) I do use Flash MX, Photoshop. In fact all of the macromedia set. When i mean photoshop, i mean the kind of work required to make a wallpaper every month. or maintain and create a site like my own.

(3) I will want to use programs like keynote.

(4) I do preffer the look of the PowerBook

(5) I would really like the machine that has the snappier OSX.

The question is: Which one should i buy?

Thanks

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 05:17 AM

The iBook will run your programmed tools, plus Photoshop, MX, and Keynote just fine. Of course, if you prefer the look of the Powerbook and want the snappiest OS, the Powerbook is better. But you have to ask yourself if $800 or so extra dollars is worth it to you. I am basing the dollar amount on the price of a new Powerbook versus the prices of a new "refurbished" Powerbook. It'll be less if you are going to buy an iBook at full retail price.

Chris

appleleo323
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 04:57 PM

But you have to ask yourself if $800 or so extra dollars is worth it to you. I am basing the dollar amount on the price of a new Powerbook versus the prices of a new "refurbished" Powerbook. It'll be less if you are going to buy an iBook at full retail price.

Chris [/B][/QUOTE]

Just wondering, where do you get $800 difference?? A 900 12" ibook with 256 mb, airport and 40 gb is $1428, 900 14" same specs is $1578. 12" pb is 1898 with airpot extreme, 40 gb, 256, bluetooth. are you geeting a better deal and holding out on us. J/K. I got these numbers off apple store

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by appleleo323:
Just wondering, where do you get $800 difference??
I think one of the best deals available right now is the Book 800Mhz/128MB/30GB/Combo/E/56K/12.1" TFT - Refurbished that is being sold at the Apple online store for $1049. That's $848 less than the Powerbook, but doesn't come with an airport card, has a 30GB drive rather than the PB's 40, and has 128MB of RAM with an empty slot for you to fill. Oh, and the iBook doesn't have Bluetooth.

But for everyday use, that iBook is a pretty good deal.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules