Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > iStorm... what to do?

View Poll Results: What style?
Poll Options:
Gel Button 5 votes (22.73%)
Plastic Button 17 votes (77.27%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
iStorm... what to do?
phillryu
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 02:30 PM

In iStorm's next version, we are trying to polish up the interface for compliance to Apple's HIG. Most importantly, we are including a standard cocoa toolbar. However, here is an issue where I am not sure what the best decision is.

iTunes 4, iMovie 3, iDVD 2, and Safari all sport 'plastic' buttons, with a cel-shaded look. Rumors say that Mac OS 10.3 (aka Panther) is going to support this look, and I feel that these plastic buttons are now becoming standard for metal applications.

So, the question is.. what style for iStorm? And, if you participate in the poll, why?

Edit: Also, I'd like to point out that if we were to stick with the old style buttons, they would also be resized to be smaller.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 02:42 PM

Its a tough choice but I think I may be parcial to the plastic look. Its new and fresh.

zachs
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 04:07 PM

I'd go with Plastic, simply because this is the direction Apple seems to be going in, at least with brushed metal apps.

ambush
Banned
May 26, 2003, 04:20 PM

None of them are good, IMHO.

Also, you better offer something that could compete with Hydra's "freewareness"

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 04:53 PM

Hydra doesn't support RTF files, (aka picture, font formatting), chat, TeX, and other collaboration tools like a sketchpad and voice messages. Yes, it's freeware, but iStorm has its obvious advantages.

We are considering releasing a barebones version of iStorm with RTF sharing and chat for free, but that is just under consideration.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 04:54 PM

For all of you who complained about iStorm's metal interface, 2.5 will allow you to switch between Aqua/Metal interfaces, so you might have that to look forward to. (And it will be a complete switch, with separate looks and icons.)

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 05:12 PM

Here's a tip: a quality GUI is not judged by how much uneeded screen-space it takes up!. Your program, while nice, isn't worth the price.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 05:29 PM

InvisibleX, we are implementing a "Pro" view, which minimizes the button to a single line, along with the necessary status text, at the bottom of the window.

And the fact is, iStorm really isn't worth the $20 for people who don't need it. But for people who want to collaborate over a network, of course it is! Just like how people will pay 50 dollars for a computer game they want.

EDIT:

We have decided that iStorm 2.5 will let users switch between aqua/metal, and also novice/pro, with metal/novice being default. Along with the cocoa toolbar, this update will address the three main GUI complaints, which were:

No standard cocoa toolbar
Metal interface
Button takes up too much room

Finally, plastic buttons will be used for metal, and gel buttons used for aqua. Thank you for participating in the poll, and giving feedback.
( Last edited by phillryu; May 26, 2003 at 06:01 PM. )

ambush
Banned
May 26, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Hydra doesn't support RTF files, (aka picture, font formatting), chat, TeX, and other collaboration tools like a sketchpad and voice messages. Yes, it's freeware, but iStorm has its obvious advantages.

We are considering releasing a barebones version of iStorm with RTF sharing and chat for free, but that is just under consideration.
Yeah well even if I you gave me iStorm for free, I'd prolly choose Hydra because of

- Programmer plugins
- Code colour formatting
- HIG Compliant UI
- Nice-in-the-dock icon
- Free
- I don't care about the layout/colour/font of text when I coedit it.
- The fact that it can replace BBEdit lite most of the time (as a simple text editor)
Yeah the iChalk/TeX things are cool, but I don't need them at all.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 06:33 PM

True, iStorm was never meant for programming. iStorm's primary user group is students and teachers. Hydra's group is programmers.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
InvisibleX, we are implementing a "Pro" view, which minimizes the button to a single line, along with the necessary status text, at the bottom of the window.

And the fact is, iStorm really isn't worth the $20 for people who don't need it. But for people who want to collaborate over a network, of course it is! Just like how people will pay 50 dollars for a computer game they want.

EDIT:

We have decided that iStorm 2.5 will let users switch between aqua/metal, and also novice/pro, with metal/novice being default. Along with the cocoa toolbar, this update will address the three main GUI complaints, which were:

No standard cocoa toolbar
Metal interface
Button takes up too much room

Finally, plastic buttons will be used for metal, and gel buttons used for aqua. Thank you for participating in the poll, and giving feedback.
Actually I'd buy a game and use Hydra

Umm, don't you think it would be wiser to use plastic w/metal and gel (a proper aqua button, mind you) with aqua?
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 03:41 PM

InivisibleX, read my post above yours again, that's exactly what we are planning to do. (Plastic for metal, gel for aqua.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules