Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Will the MS Bluetooth mouse work with OSX??

Will the MS Bluetooth mouse work with OSX??
mc786030
May 28, 2003, 10:37 AM

As topic...so I can just put it next to my PB12 and I can use it?? Will I need drivers?? Thx!

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2003, 10:40 AM

i tried and i couldn't get it to work, but maybe i was doing something wrong. i couldn't find any drivers for it either, besides the bluetooth control panel that is in OSX.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
May 28, 2003, 10:58 AM

I got it to work without any special drivers. One point to note though is that it will not work unless you log in with an account that has bluetooth configured for the mouse. In other words, it won't work if you boot from a CD.

havyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
I got it to work without any special drivers.
Did you have to plug in the USB receiver though? I'm sure it would have worked had I done that, but I wanted the built-in BT to pick it up w/o that extra bit...

starman
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2003, 11:18 AM

Worked for me without any drivers.

HOWEVER, my TiBook doesn't have Bluetooth built-in so I had to use the MS BT dongle, but it worked perfectly.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 28, 2003, 11:20 AM

Try a search?

JB72
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 07:02 PM

I use the M$ BT mouse + keybord for my HTPC. Just for kicks I took the keyboard over to my Mac w/ IOGear BT dongle to see if it would work. Ironically, it worked fine, and setup was a ton easier, and faster than in Win XP.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by havyn:
Did you have to plug in the USB receiver though? I'm sure it would have worked had I done that, but I wanted the built-in BT to pick it up w/o that extra bit...
Nope - built-in bluetooth is fine. Note though that the response is not quite as smooth as with a regular mouse. It's OK for general tasks, but you probably wouldn't want to use it when playing games.

k2director
Senior User
May 29, 2003, 02:40 PM

Looking for clarification:

Do ALL the buttons on the BT Mouse work, or just the left, right and scroll wheel?

I'm only going to get that mouse when you can program all the buttons, including Forward and Back, as you can other MS mice in OS X.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
May 29, 2003, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
Looking for clarification:

Do ALL the buttons on the BT Mouse work, or just the left, right and scroll wheel?

I'm only going to get that mouse when you can program all the buttons, including Forward and Back, as you can other MS mice in OS X.
No, the custom buttons aren't usable yet. I don't know if Microsoft will update their Intellimouse software to account for built-in bluetooth on the Mac either. Their PC software won't even work with any bluetooth adapter other than the one supplied with the mouse.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 09:53 AM

does it also work with other bluetooth adapters?

Forum Links
Forum Rules