Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > RootMenuItem customization- Tequa ddn

RootMenuItem customization- Tequa ddn
Butt_O'sigh
May 19, 2003, 10:19 PM

sample movie

Tequa ddn 6L60#5

-----
Butt_O'sigh @ padma colors
http://www.desktopper.net/padmacolors/
iChatadmacolors

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 10:38 PM

I don't quite understand what I am seeing. Please elaborate!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 10:57 PM

He's having 'layo' fun
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

swiz
GUI Punk
May 19, 2003, 11:52 PM

Now smeger, you know better than anyone that "layo-fun" is an oxymoron right .

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Butt_O'sigh  (op)
May 20, 2003, 12:14 AM

completion

Tequa ddn 6L60 #7

-----
Butt_O'sigh @ padma colors
http://www.desktopper.net/padmacolors/
iChat : padmacolors

Butt_O'sigh  (op)
May 20, 2003, 05:37 AM

Tequa ddn 6L60#8
dxb 6L60#7
Restore

iChat : padmacolors

regardz,

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 11:28 AM

Does this sort of thing take in Cocoa apps or is it a Carbon thing only?

smeger
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 02:55 PM

All apps use a Carbon menubar, so it should work everywhere.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
You've helped others work this out before haven't you Jason? Seeing as you know the ins and outs of this menubar Layo hack, any chance you might be able to share your knowledge... a tutorial or brief overview as to how this particular hack is done?

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 04:03 PM

Hmmm... do you think Apple might eventually do the finder etc. in Cocoa or is that a ways off yet?

smeger
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
You've helped others work this out before haven't you Jason? Seeing as you know the ins and outs of this menubar Layo hack, any chance you might be able to share your knowledge... a tutorial or brief overview as to how this particular hack is done?
I've been planning to add a section to the tutorial on my webpage, I just haven't had the time.

I've also taught Max how to do 'em, so if you don't want to wait for hell to freeze over and me to have spare time, you could try bugging him.

Mr. O'Sigh & Izawa (are you guys the same person?) know how to do 'em really well, too, but the lack of English as a first language might make it tough for them to explain the process. There's also a guy named Ben who hangs out on the ResEx fora who knows how to do OS 9 ones well, and the knowledge generally applies to doing OS X ones, too.

Not enough time in the day...

smeger
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

Hmmm... do you think Apple might eventually do the finder etc. in Cocoa or is that a ways off yet?
I don't think we're ever going to see a "Cocoa" Finder, per se. The difference between the two APIs is gradually disappearing, and even now, almost anything you could name that people consider to be "Cocoa" is actually a hybrid between Cocoa, Carbon, and Core Foundation.

Apple has put too much development effort into the DataBrowser control that is the heart of the Finder for them to scrap it.

I think the most likely future is that HIViews will become more prominent and you'll see most "Carbon" apps staying with Carbon Events, the new (for OS X) window manager stuff, HIViews, Quicktime, AppleEvents, and FSRef file manager calls, and letting the rest of the horror that is Carbon die out.

</ramble>

Butt_O'sigh  (op)
May 20, 2003, 08:29 PM

Butt_O'sigh  (op)
May 21, 2003, 06:00 PM

except for the menu bar status items

barbarian
Senior User
May 24, 2003, 03:38 PM

Wow... I've been dying for a simply hack that turns the blank spaces into separator lines for ages.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 25, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Butt_O'sigh:
a tutorial (Japanese)
http://www.desktopper.net/theme/4-53/
Is anybody else having problems getting Desktopper to translate via Altavista in Safari or is it just me? ... it will load the translated page and then jump back to an untranslated Japanese version of the Desktopper index page. I've had a hell of a time translating desktopper lately and it really is the best resource there is for learning the ins-and-outs of theming... have they changed their code in some whay that's hindering the translation? They can't be doing it on purpose...

Sage
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 12:38 PM

I'm having the same problem with the translator just jumping back to the Japanese page. I can get Izawaa's site to translate, but that's it.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2003, 01:09 AM

a tutorial (Japanese)
http://www.desktopper.net/theme/4-53/
Butt_O'sigh, why are we having problems getting Destopper to translate? - without the great information there I'm lost... help!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 06:52 AM

except for the menu bar status items
Well, they're an evil hack, but their menus should actually be drawn using the menu manager, I'd think?

smeger
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:44 AM

Turn off Javascript in your web browser to get Desktopper to translate properly.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2003, 12:05 PM

Turn off Javascript in your web browser to get Desktopper to translate properly.
It doesn't show anything then... bah!

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 02:35 PM

Yup, all you get is "Javascript: off" from Desktopper

BAH!

Mac Guru

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2003, 11:30 AM

Most honorable Butt_O'sigh, fellow Kaleidoscope Schemer for many years I am eager to play with this wonderful menu discovery, however Desktopper.net will no longer translate from Japanese to english with Altavista. The RootMenu tutorial will not translate, neither will any of the wonderful Desktopper tutorials we English-speaking theme enthusiasts have been using for our inspiration and learning. This translation problem seems to be a recent event - perhaps something at Desktopper has been changed and is now having a negative effect on our translation efforts. I have discovered that you are the webmaster at Desktopper.net so I am hoping that you will be able to figure this out - without this translation problem fixed we who do not speak Japanese are unable to share in your amazing discoveries.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 29, 2003, 05:15 PM

I just tried it again - the Javascript:off thing is new, it used to work.

By the way, BBX, that might be the single most polite post I've ever seen.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2003, 01:22 AM

I just tried it again - the Javascript:off thing is new, it used to work.

By the way, BBX, that might be the single most polite post I've ever seen.
Ah, yes - well Japanese society is in fact the most polite you're likely to encounter =) But the real reason I address my Japanese friends in this manner is because it seems to produce cleaner translations than sloppy everyday english (you'll notice that my post contains few if any ' characters) - you never know whether they're fluent in english or if they're just getting by with an online translator (like we english-speaking simpletons do when we try to decipher Japanese tutorials and the like).

I'm very big into the Japanese trip now - all of my themes will have their own Japanese titles in addition to the standard english ones as well as actual Japanese/English bilingual logos. I was going to name my WIP theme Miraikane (Mee-Ra-Ka-ee-ka-nay) which means futuremetal for both english and Japanese audiences, but I shortened it to Mirai (just 'future') for the western crowd... it's still Miraikane in Japanese however. The other one I'm working on, Utopia, translates into 'future dream' for the Japanese (with a Japanese glyph representing dream for the main logo) but I'm not sure what the pronunciation is. Up until now I've had to get the words from Anime fansites, look up their corresponding syllabic katakana glyphs in online tables and then hunt through funky Katakana fonts in illustrator looking for the correct glyphs... not easy with some of these futuristic Katakana fonts - I actually messed up the spelling of Miraikane first time out (Takashi Izawa pointed that out to me much to my embarassment - I tried to honour my Japanese colleagues with a Japanese title and inadvertantly ended up pissing all over their languange). What I really need is a Japanese-speaking-and-writing buddy I can work this stuff out with...

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2003, 09:17 AM

Ah, yume. One of my favorite movies; anyone with a pair of working eyes owes it to themselves to seek a copy of Akira Kurosawa no Yume (Akira Kurosawa's Dreams)
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by rgoer:
Ah, yume. One of my favorite movies; anyone with a pair of working eyes owes it to themselves to seek a copy of Akira Kurosawa no Yume (Akira Kurosawa's Dreams)
Haven't seen that one yet - I did just see the Seven Samurai, which is one of the best (and most moving) action pictures I've ever seen... the cinematography and art direction were just stunning. My brother is a huge Akira Kurosawa fan and has all his movies on DVD, but he lives in another city and won't lend them to me So 'Yume' means dreams (is it the same in the singular?)... Miraikane and Miraiyume - hey I like that

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2003, 10:30 AM

Butt_O' Sigh... yes you can translate the text paragraph by paragraph or line by line but it tends to be time-consuming and very unpleasant - there is still no way to view the entire page translated with the images in-line. The main directory for the Desktopper.net homepage also snaps back to Japanese after the initial translation so finding the tutorial one is looking for becomes very difficult. It was much better before when one could simply navigate the entire site in translation. I suppose the good old days when this was possible have passed

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2003, 05:37 PM

So 'Yume' means dreams (is it the same in the singular?)
Yep. There is no such thing as "plural" in japanese, except for the suffix "tachi" which can only be added onto nouns/pronouns that have to do with human beings (for example, watashi is "me/I" and "watashitachi" is "we/us").
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Forum Links
Forum Rules