Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Accelerated XFree86 for darwin/Mac OS X ?

Accelerated XFree86 for darwin/Mac OS X ?
pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 06:54 PM

I am just wondering if darwin/OS X will get accelerated X server soon. Using XFree is really painful in fullscreen mode.

Is XFree hardware accelerated under linux, or is it the same implementation as the darwin/OS X one ?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 08:35 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pat++:
<strong>I am just wondering if darwin/OS X will get accelerated X server soon. Using XFree is really painful in fullscreen mode.

Is XFree hardware accelerated under linux, or is it the same implementation as the darwin/OS X one ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Run rootless, then there is some hardware acceleration...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 09:58 PM

I see no difference. You're talking about XDarwin, right? What is it gonna take to get real OpenGL support for this? I run the same programs on an SGI machine and they're glassy smooth. XDarwin they're crappy and slow and jumpy.

XTools even claims OpenGL support but it doesnt seem any faster than XDarwin.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 11:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by awaspaas:
<strong>I see no difference. You're talking about XDarwin, right? What is it gonna take to get real OpenGL support for this? I run the same programs on an SGI machine and they're glassy smooth. XDarwin they're crappy and slow and jumpy.

XTools even claims OpenGL support but it doesnt seem any faster than XDarwin.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Um, last time I checked, scrolling in a Mozilla document in XDarwin was updated more frequently and less jumpy in rootless mode compared to full-screen mode.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2002, 01:01 AM

That may be, but I was thinking more OpenGL 3d object manipulation type performance, and I just tried it again, and see no difference between rootless and fullscreen mode. Have the Xfree86 developers said anything about future OpenGL support? I haven't been able to find anything.

s_l_o_w__k_i_l_l_s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2002, 02:07 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by pat++:
<strong>Is XFree hardware accelerated under linux, or is it the same implementation as the darwin/OS X one ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yes, on Linux for most modern graphics cards you can get an accelerated X driver, then you just alias X to it. Linux systems can run Doom and other 3d games at high framerates, run high-end animation, etc. Check linuxhardware.org for details (see recent article on the Radeon 8500, for example).

I would think you could re-compile the accelerated drivers to make them work for X on the Mac, but have never tried (I'm more of a text kind of guy). My G4 has a Radeon 7500, so if you find a better driver than what Fink supplies, let me know!
The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten!

P
Jun 10, 2002, 11:09 AM

Ho hum, I think we've been over this before, but I guess we can do it again:

If you kill Quartz (by logging on with &gt;console) and start XDarwin, you will get accelerated graphics. They can not be used when Quartz is running, which is why fullscreen mode is completely unaccelerated. The default window manager twm makes it seem even slower - swtching to something like windowmaker will partly fix this.

There is some acceleration in rootless mode, if not much. Current focus is to improve this for the next version, XFree86 4.3, along with a new built-in window manager.

Open GL in X11 is called GLX, and XFree86 4.2 supports full GLX software rendering. Hardware acceleration is also in the cards, but this depends on the new rootless mode being implemented first. It could happen in time for XFree86 4.3, or maybe not.

XTools supports only hardware acceleration (2D and 3D) in rootless mode.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

pat++  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2002, 05:10 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by P:
<strong>Ho hum, I think we've been over this before, but I guess we can do it again:

If you kill Quartz (by logging on with &gt;console) and start XDarwin, you will get accelerated graphics. They can not be used when Quartz is running, which is why fullscreen mode is completely unaccelerated. The default window manager twm makes it seem even slower - swtching to something like windowmaker will partly fix this.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I did try this and runing from the console is as slow as fullscreen quartz mode (I am using windowmaker).

Anyway... here is the response from Torrey Lyons who is working on XFree for darwin :

Hi Torrey,

I noticed that fullscreen mode on darwin/OS X is not
hardware accelerated and is very slow on my iBook. I just
wanted to know if you have plans to support hardware
acceleration soon... When can we expect to have this
implemented ? Thanks.

We have plans. :-) We are working on speeding up rootless mode first, but there should be substantial improvement in full screen mode for the next full release (XFree86 4.3). I would guess that it will be a couple months before we have a test release with a faster full screen mode.

--Torrey

Hopefully we'll get acceleration for 4.3

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2002, 09:08 AM

I logged in on the console and ran X (tried twm and gnome-session with sawfish) and both seemed completely without acceleration. I think for now I will stick to rootless within Aqua.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

P
Jun 11, 2002, 01:02 PM

All chipsets supported by XFree86 4.2 are listed here:

<a href="http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status.html" target="_blank">http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status.html</a>

I seem to remember that there was a problem with acceleration not working on some iBooks/PowerBooks, because those chips weren't supported.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Greg Parker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 01:58 PM

First, please distinguish between "2D accleration" and "OpenGL acceleration". The two mechanisms are unrelated.

For 2D graphics, XDarwin is currently unaccelerated. We are currently working to use CoreGraphics to replace some of the X server's drawing operations. This will be faster, and benefit from all of CoreGraphics' current and future optimizations for AltiVec and graphics cards.

Note that 2D graphics in full-screen mode are generally slower than the same operations in rootless mode.

For 3D graphics (OpenGL/GLX), XDarwin currently uses the Mesa software renderer. We are currently working to use Apple's OpenGL.framework instead. This will provide hardware acceleration for all cards that have GL support in Mac OS X.

Note that the "supported video card / chipset" list for XFree86 is absolutely irrelevant for XDarwin. We use Apple's higher-level APIs and never talk to hardware directly, so we don't need different code for each card.

We expect to release a test version of the OpenGL support soon. Check <a href="http://sourceforge.net/projects/xonx/" target="_blank">http://sourceforge.net/projects/xonx/</a> or join the mailing lists there for updates.
XDarwin - XFree86 for Mac OS X - http://mrcla.com/XonX/ http://sf.net/projects/xonx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules