Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Can't navigate to Web Site when accessed behind router.

Can't navigate to Web Site when accessed behind router.
KiwiKen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2003, 10:21 PM

I am setting up OS X Server for educational and personal use and am having a few difficulties.

What I have:
I have an ADSL/Ethernet router with two Macs and an Airport attached. One of the Macs is the OS X Server.

I have a static IP and domain name registered with my ISP.
I have the server on a static IP that is valid for my LAN. The router is set up to route any TCP activity on port 80 to my server.

Problem:
From my LAN, When I enter www.mydomain.com into a browser, I get nothing. If I enter the local IP address of my server, I see the web site.

If I dial in to an ISP and navigate to www.mydomain.com, I see my web site.

Why can't I navigate to my web site from my LAN using the URL?

KiwiKen

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 11:23 PM

i get the same thing with stuff on my server setup. I don't knwo why it does that though. Maybe it can't 'find' your site using the http method because it's already sitting on it?

merlin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 04:11 AM

Normally if you can browse by IP but not by domain, it means you have some kind of DNS problem.

It sounds like the DNS for your domain is not resolving when you try to get to from your LAN.

Are you running your own DNS servers?
Are the DNS entries you use when connecting via DSL different from when you dial in?

What happens if you type this from a terminal screen (while connected via DSL)?...

nslookup www.mydomain.com

(replace "mydomain.com" with your domain)
This space intentionally left blank...

KiwiKen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by merlin:
Normally if you can browse by IP but not by domain, it means you have some kind of DNS problem.

It sounds like the DNS for your domain is not resolving when you try to get to from your LAN.

Are you running your own DNS servers?
Are the DNS entries you use when connecting via DSL different from when you dial in?

What happens if you type this from a terminal screen (while connected via DSL)?...

nslookup www.mydomain.com

(replace "mydomain.com" with your domain)
When I do nslookup I get the ISP assigned static IP . (219.88.71.109). My machine is on the local lan with an 192.168.1.x number.

I have "solved" it, although not to my satisfaction by adding 192.168.1.x to my hosts file. I would like to understand the logic of the failure though.

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2003, 06:06 PM

Are you by any chance using a proxy to access the internet? If so, then you need to teel your computer to bypass the proxy setting for local addresses. In Safari, go to preferences/advanced and click the 'proxy' tab. In the field below, enter 192.168. and http://www.mydomain.com ,which will cause all traffic toward these addresses to bypass the proxy.

jsteinborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 04:04 PM

Would it help to use another set of DNS entries (different than your isp)?

Forum Links
Forum Rules