Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare, is it worth it?

Applecare, is it worth it?
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2003, 01:18 AM

I'm one of those people that hate to buy the extended warrenties... thinking you shouldn't need to have them, everything should work and if it breaks, they should help you fix it. Or by the time it breaks, that it will be time to get a new one.

Anyway, I've never bought Applecare, but I was wondering what it gives you that the regular warranty doesn't?

Is it worth it?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 01:46 AM

BUY IT.

You'll feel a LOT better if something goes wrong because, trust me, something ALWAYS goes wrong.

Also, I know firsthand that the level of support is superior when you have it.

Lastly, when and if you resell your system you'll be happy because your system will be worth more. No one wants to buy a system out of warranty.

Don't worry -- the money is worth it.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 01:48 AM

I have never purchased Applecare and have owned a gazillion Apple's.

I would not bother with a desktop but if I planned on keeping an Apple laptop for more than a year I would consider it seriously.

Anytime an Apple has broken on me, it has been within the first year covered by the normal warranty.

One thing else to consider is that it will add significantly to resale value and/or saleability.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 02:22 AM

From experience: BUY IT!

I'm on my 3rd PowerBook in 4 years and I should have had APP and been a lot happier. Although I might not have bought my new PowerBook now... but now I have APP so now I feel I can live with this machine for 2.5 more years without to worry.
/Petra

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by daredevil:
I'm one of those people that hate to buy the extended warrenties... thinking you shouldn't need to have them, everything should work and if it breaks, they should help you fix it. Or by the time it breaks, that it will be time to get a new one.

Anyway, I've never bought Applecare, but I was wondering what it gives you that the regular warranty doesn't?

Is it worth it?

Yes, Applecare is worth it. But especially on Laptops. I had an unfortunate experience where the motherboard went kapoot on my poor little iBook. Well Apple said that it would have been fully covered if I had Applecare. Well I didn't so I ended up selling it for a really cheap price and let the new owner get it fixed.
I purchased a new PB 17 and bought Applecare right away. I can only imagine how much it may cost to get Big AL 17 fixed when something goes wrong.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 10:12 AM

Just confirming what others are saying, if you're going to get a laptop, get it. I bought it for my iBook and used it. My hard drive was really loud, but still fuctioned, but Apple replaced it after the 2nd plus some months into the warranty. I think the piece of mind is worth the cost. And the service is bar none.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 10:59 AM

Is Applecare worth it?

In a word, yes!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2003, 02:40 PM

For a PB or iBook, Applecare is a must, IMO. For a Powermac or iMac it's nice to have on occasion, but you won't always get your investment's worth out of it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 02:59 PM

Just echoing everyone else--if you are keeping the laptop more than a year, AppleCare is a great idea. Absolutely essential.

If you are an inveterate upgrader, it may not be as big a deal, though saavy shoppers will check to see if you have AppleCare on the used machine.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2003, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Just echoing everyone else--if you are keeping the laptop more than a year, AppleCare is a great idea. Absolutely essential.

If you are an inveterate upgrader, it may not be as big a deal, though saavy shoppers will check to see if you have AppleCare on the used machine.
I like in NYC... so is TekServe an Applecare service center? Does that mean a 300 dollar repair at TekSErve is free and Apple pays them for it?

I don't see how it works exactly.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 07:20 PM

just to voice a dissenting opinion, I have owned several Powerbooks/iBooks and I have never bought AppleCare. Instead, I simply purchase the computer with a credit card (American Express) that will double the warranty. That essentially gives me a two year warranty for free. The money that would have been spent on AppleCare usually gets converted into RAM, iPods, etc.

I'd have to agree with the above poster -- in general, spontaneous failures with electronics tend to occur in the first few months of purchase.

iXavier
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 07:36 PM

Just to comment in general at resale value, warranties seem to carry very little of it on e-Bay.

Person to person sales I think have a better resale value for the warranty, but those shopping on e-Bay don't bid any higher for the AppleCare on a computer, even if it is a notebook.

The AppleCare is worth it, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the resale value of the machine is going to be astronomical because there's some time left in the extended warranty.

x.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 07:51 PM

I don't buy AppleCare & I own 6 PBs all are insured by Safeware.com.

Covers much more than AppleCare for a lot less! It covers theft, surges, spilled drinks, cat urine, kid's accents, people tripping over powercord, screen damage,..... everything but acts of war!

They have replaced 2 powerbooks with no deductable ( 1 lightning.... 1 theft!)

shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by crouchingtiger:
just to voice a dissenting opinion, I have owned several Powerbooks/iBooks and I have never bought AppleCare. Instead, I simply purchase the computer with a credit card (American Express) that will double the warranty. That essentially gives me a two year warranty for free. The money that would have been spent on AppleCare usually gets converted into RAM, iPods, etc.

I'd have to agree with the above poster -- in general, spontaneous failures with electronics tend to occur in the first few months of purchase.
I agree with crouchingtiger (great user id by the way!). Many credit cards automatically double the warranty. Although with this option you might not get the extended phone suppport (which I never use anyway) and it'll probably be more of a pain to get reimbursed for any repairs, I simply cannot justify $350 for what essentially comes out to one year. I'd rather take a 2 year warranty for free, hope for the best in the third, and add insurance (a homeowner or rental rider is usually very inexpensive) along the way.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 9, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
I don't buy AppleCare & I own 6 PBs all are insured by Safeware.com.

Covers much more than AppleCare for a lot less! It covers theft, surges, spilled drinks, cat urine, kid's accents, people tripping over powercord, screen damage,..... everything but acts of war!

They have replaced 2 powerbooks with no deductable ( 1 lightning.... 1 theft!)
You know, I have always wanted to get the scoop from someone that had safeware insurance and actually had a claim. It sounds like they fulfilled your claim satisfactorily.. is that right? Do you have any pros & cons when dealing with them. And, how much do you pay for the insurance for the Powebook.

I have always thought of getting the Safeware insurance but nobody seemed to know if they actually made good on claims or if you got the endless run around.

If they are good, then that is an ideal solution for LCD damage. Since they cover accidental damage like whooooooops there goes the 17 inches off the end of the table.

flyingcub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2003, 02:20 AM

I've had Applecare on my previous Powerbook and in the end it was worth it. I always wondered about policies like safeware and just checked their site. It seems they are great for accidents (of all sorts), but do not cover repairs due to mechanical failure. ("Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction" in their terms). Looks like a great compliment, but no replacement. Perhaps if you feel you don't need the hotline, the answer is paying w/ Amex and getting additional policy like Safeware.

Naomi

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 02:40 AM

"I like in NYC... so is TekServe an Applecare service center? Does that mean a 300 dollar repair at TekSErve is free and Apple pays them for it?

I don't see how it works exactly."

That is correct--TekServe repairs it for free (to you) if covered by AppleCare.

Some of these methods are v. clever, like the double-warranty with a credit card purchase--has anyone actually used that one? How do you get Apple to honor that?

iDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2003, 08:17 AM

I got my 17" AlBook at the end of April and have also been trying to decide about purchasing Applecare - my question is: do you have to purchase Applecare within a certain amount of time after buy the powerbook? I'm just afraid I'll debate this issue too long and find out I no longer have the option of getting Applecare.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 09:39 AM

AppleCare is an expensive warranty. Don't forget that when your computer breaks, you'll be sending it to Apple for as long as Apple decides to keep it. Most of the posts I've read around here have involved repair times measured in weeks. Should you pay $300+ to have them keep your computer for 2-3 weeks? If you use your computer for business, you could lose more than the price of a new computer while waiting. Oh, and the time they give you is an estimate. This is a major problem with using an Apple in a business environment.

Bottom line: it would be worth it if it were onsite, but it is not.

Please don't take this as a flame. I love my PowerBook, but I'm extremely frustrated at the lousy support if it were to need repair. I'm not Apple bashing - I really think this needs to change.

Karim
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
AppleCare is an expensive warranty. Don't forget that when your computer breaks, you'll be sending it to Apple for as long as Apple decides to keep it. Most of the posts I've read around here have involved repair times measured in weeks. Should you pay $300+ to have them keep your computer for 2-3 weeks? If you use your computer for business, you could lose more than the price of a new computer while waiting. Oh, and the time they give you is an estimate. This is a major problem with using an Apple in a business environment.

Please don't take this as a flame. I love my PowerBook, but I'm extremely frustrated at the lousy support if it were to need repair. I'm not Apple bashing - I really think this needs to change.
I agree something needs to change. Maybe a two-tiered system of Applecare with a more expensive Applecare+ that gives a guaranteed replacement computer *BEFORE* you have to ship your defective one back to them guaranteed by a credit card.

Luxury car dealers do it when your car is in the shop why not a luxury computer.

daniel999
Jun 10, 2003, 02:56 PM

I want to buy a powerbook. Should I get applecare after there's problem because its so expensive...

Karim
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by daniel999:
I want to buy a powerbook. Should I get applecare after there's problem because its so expensive...
You can only buy Applecare for a product while its original warranty (1 year) is still in effect. IE if your Apple is over a year old it is too late.

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 11:23 PM

Just buy the warranty if you come up near the 1yr deadline and still have the computer. Nuff said.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by wallinbl:

No offense, but in the past two and half years I've shipped off 2 PB G4s and an iBook/700 (under original warranty for all). Turnaround time on each occasion was less than 72 hours (usually 48)--from the time I send it in via Apple-provided Airborne Express box to when it was returned (always satisfactorily). Turnaround time on towers/desktops taken locally has always been longer.

I always purchase AppleCare five days before the 1-year warranty expires.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

daniel999
Jun 11, 2003, 03:31 AM

Originally posted by dettociao:
Just buy the warranty if you come up near the 1yr deadline and still have the computer. Nuff said.
But They said they've got a promotion which it's almost half price if I brought it with my PB!! Should I get it now or wait until the end of original warrenty?? Please give advice
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

bcoutlander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 09:24 AM

I would like to know where you can get AppleCare for almost 1/2 off when buying a new pb? I am getting to buy myself a 12" and would definitely take advantage of that offer.

daniel999
Jun 11, 2003, 11:47 AM

I just order my 12" PB in Hong Kong and they say they are doing some sort of promotion which the applecare only cost HK$1550 (It cost HK$2610 on apple's website). I didn't buy it anyway coz I think its still too expensive.... (as a student)
The shop is located in 12th floor in Windsor House.
( Last edited by daniel999; Jun 11, 2003 at 12:31 PM. )
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

daniel999
Jun 11, 2003, 11:52 AM

O...yea... they give me an imac mirror as well
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

Forum Links
Forum Rules