Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My first MAC: 15"867MHz Ti

My first MAC: 15"867MHz Ti
abundrefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 12:45 PM

I know, I know...the WWDC is here...monday...and it COULD bring us a new 15".

But here (in Brazil) the prices are so high that I wont take the chance to see a 15-incher getting more expensive than the Ti-Book already is. I will take the dropping prices on the Titanium to GRAB IT since enough money just came up.

I am SO EXCITED!!!
I would like to hear about owners of this machine, if they like it, what's GREAT and unique about it, if there's something you don't like about it. etc...

But anyway...I'M HAPPY!!!!!

Thanks, all of you guys...you have been helping me to take this tough decision since the beginning of the year.

Sincerely,
Andre.
Playing the groove is like driving a fancy car: you drive slowly so all the people can check you out. - Wynton Marsalis.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:56 PM

Some advices: 1. Good choice!

Check the stiffness of the hinges, if too tight (You have to open the machine with both hands, one holding back the base unit, one lifting the screen, even after some days) ask your shop to readjust them (it�s not a big deal), it will definetely reduce the risk of of hinge break.

If you plan to move it a lot get a good bag for it, that will reduces the risk of early paint flaking.

Have fun!

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by abundrefo:
I know, I know...the WWDC is here...monday...and it COULD bring us a new 15".

But here (in Brazil) the prices are so high that I wont take the chance to see a 15-incher getting more expensive than the Ti-Book already is. I will take the dropping prices on the Titanium to GRAB IT since enough money just came up.

I am SO EXCITED!!!
I would like to hear about owners of this machine, if they like it, what's GREAT and unique about it, if there's something you don't like about it. etc...

But anyway...I'M HAPPY!!!!!

Thanks, all of you guys...you have been helping me to take this tough decision since the beginning of the year.

Sincerely,
Andre.
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome!

I guess when people say things like "wait for the new PB's at WWDC", they very rarely take into account our overseas friends who have to pay a premium (as if we in the States don't already to an extent) for Apple hardware.

I just got my Ti a few weeks ago (had an iBook before that) and I LOVE it.

Things I like:

it's FAST (esp. compared to my old iBook)
it's GORGEOUS (you'll be surprised how many comments you get when you whip it out in public)
it's SMALL (for a 15" notebook, it doesn't get much thinner/lighter).

Things I don't like:

I'm scared to death of scratching it, so I'm like some sort of powerbook nazi when it comes to handling it... I end up wiping it down at least once a day and shooting my girlfriend a stern look if she sets it down on the table too fast.

The STRONG desire to purchase another one as soon as I have a compelling reason (970 rev. B, some sort of hardware defficiency), which means I'll make an excuse to at some point. Someone in these forums told me once (forget who, sorry) that PB's are addictive... they are!
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 11:35 PM

Congratulations on your purchase!

I love my PowerBook! In fact, what's not to love I can't think of anything unsatisfying about it, although I would like to have a Super Drive (my is a Combo).
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

suthercd
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 12:04 AM

Put a piece of cloth over the keys when closing the screen. After time, the keys make marks on the screen. Try to not get in a habit of handing it by the screen. Find a replacement for the 4 rubber pads at the corners of the bottom. The ones there will slip out and get lost. When transporting it, protect the finish- it scratches fairly easily.

You made a great choice. I have a 500 G4 Ti that was ordered the first day the G$ book was released and just purchased a second- this one a 1Ghz. These poerbooks are state of the art.

Enjoy!!
Craig

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:11 AM

CONGRATS on your new TiBook and your first Mac!

I think you'll be thrilled with your TiBook regardless of what WWDC brings to the table...enjoy your machine!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

prodigy1387
Jun 20, 2003, 09:37 AM

Congrats! I just also recently got a 1ghz ti 15" and i love it more than anything else. i also upgraded from an ibook 500 g3 and it is substantially faster. it looks great, there's nothing not to love ...im looking for lots of enjoyment out of this computer. enjoy yours as well!

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2003, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
CONGRATS on your new TiBook and your first Mac!

I think you'll be thrilled with your TiBook regardless of what WWDC brings to the table...enjoy your machine!
Completely off topic.... but how's the 12" workin out for you AssassyN? I know you dearly loved your 17... is the speed difference noticeable?

Thanks,
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 10:01 AM

CONGRATULATIONS!

Forum Links
Forum Rules