Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > launch.com under OSX?

launch.com under OSX?
malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 12:02 AM

Hi,

I recently was shown launch.com by a (pc) friend. This website by Yahoo! plays your favorite music videos for free all day, with ratings, by genre and whatever u want - but not on a mac with OSX.

Whatever I tried, it ends up with a popup window saying "error. Must use Netscape 4.7" which is just for classic. Mozilla, newest Netscape, Camino, Safari (v85) etc - none will do it.

Anybody got an idea? I thought I'd remember a browser where you could manually set the browser as which it would be recognised. But I forgot which one it was...

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:20 AM

I used to always run it with Classic using Netsacpe 4.7 with real player installed in OS9... that was last summer

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 AM

I was forced to run Netscape 4.7 in classic whenever I wanted to see videos. Anyone know another way?

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by xyber233:
I was forced to run Netscape 4.7 in classic whenever I wanted to see videos. Anyone know another way?
wow this is true (*pc choir laughing at us*)?

OMG.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 06:11 AM

Hve you tried OmniWeb? The "Compatibility" preference allows you to pretend you have another browser (including PC ones) so you are not refused by sites like this one.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
Hve you tried OmniWeb? The "Compatibility" preference allows you to pretend you have another browser (including PC ones) so you are not refused by sites like this one.
AAH! Omniweb was the one? I will try it! Thanx.

--------
edit:

I tried it with the same results. What exactly did u config? Did u have to install WinMedia under Classic?
( Last edited by malique; Jun 22, 2003 at 11:10 AM. )

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 05:04 AM

Sorry, I didn't actually try launch.com myself. I only know from past experience that Omni gets you into sites like this. I don't even use WiMP so I couldn't tell you about configuring it.

Where exactly does it choke now? It may be OmniWeb's handling of WiMP files. (Just a guess though)

poocat
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 11:26 AM

hi.

first, there are about six threads on this topic somewhere in this forum. searches will help.

second, it's a known microsoft mess. wmp for x does not support all of the codecs of wmp9. yahoo uses one of the two they don't like. it doesn't matter what browser you use, it's wmp that's screwing you. yes. this is DEFINITELY one of the lamest parts of the web on the mac.

yes, people laugh.

if anyone figures out a way to make it work, put it up. there was a direct hack somewhere, i think...

poocat.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by poocat:
here was a direct hack somewhere, i think...

threads about this? Didn't even think about that, thanx. The thingy with the direkct HACK would be interesting...

maybe vlc (a new version is out today!) can handle a stream - when I get the URL...

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 03:41 PM

We used to be able to make it work by pasting this into WMP:

http://launchtoday.launch.yahoo.com/...unch.yahoo.com

and just changing the ID # of the video you wanted to watch, but launch.com has changed the URL format and it doesn't work now. They do change it periodically. I have no idea how to get the current format to paste it into wmp, I tried looking at the page source and maybe someone could find the current URL..

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
We used to be able to make it work by pasting this into WMP:

http://launchtoday.launch.yahoo.com/...unch.yahoo.com

and just changing the ID # of the video you wanted to watch, but launch.com has changed the URL format and it doesn't work now. They do change it periodically. I have no idea how to get the current format to paste it into wmp, I tried looking at the page source and maybe someone could find the current URL..
Ya, I saw this in the other thread. Myproblem is: I don't want to see ONE movie, I luv the idea that thru rating and influencers and stuff I could build together my own MTV - so I'd need the my videos-feature etc.... :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules