Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mac BitTorrent file sharing

Mac BitTorrent file sharing
Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 03:02 PM

Does any one know any good mac bit torrent sites???

I tryed

http://bittorrent.kicks-ass.net/

but all I get are errors.

I have never managed to get any files downloaded using the mac version.

Do any other MacNNers have any advice?

Thanks.
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:
Does any one know any good mac bit torrent sites???

I tryed

http://bittorrent.kicks-ass.net/

but all I get are errors.

I have never managed to get any files downloaded using the mac version.

Do any other MacNNers have any advice?

Thanks.
I use torrent all the time to download live concerts. I don't really know of many sites for Mac stuff other than the one above though, but torrent definitely works on the Mac.

-matt

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 03:26 PM

What he said. I use bit torrent a lot, but I've never used it for pirating software (I'm usually downloading live audio), so I'm not sure of whats out there...

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:28 PM

i used http://torrentreactor.com to get you know what last night. worked great.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:57 PM

if you don't have good upload speeds bittorrent somewhat sucks.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 04:35 PM

I used it to get a certian pre-release OS last night, and it worked on about the 5th try. When it works, it's very good, but it doesn't work at all half the time, and just leaves lots of HUGE garbage files.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Fallout:
I used it to get a certian pre-release OS last night, and it worked on about the 5th try. When it works, it's very good, but it doesn't work at all half the time, and just leaves lots of HUGE garbage files.
I've never had bit torrent "not work." What's probably happening is the trackers are overloading from the amount of traffic being requested. If that happens you wont connect to anything. But that's not the fault of bit torrent, it's the fault of the crappy tracker and the sheer amount of volume.

The "HUGE garbage files" are placeholder files for when your download completes. It sets aside enough room for all the files at the start of the download so it doesn't run out of room before it's done...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
The "HUGE garbage files" are placeholder files for when your download completes. It sets aside enough room for all the files at the start of the download so it doesn't run out of room before it's done...
Which is a pretty good idea, BTW. Think of how frustrating it would be to run out of room with 1 MB left to go on a 2 GB download.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Which is a pretty good idea, BTW. Think of how frustrating it would be to run out of room with 1 MB left to go on a 2 GB download.
Well yeah... but on a 300 mhz PC with 64 megs of RAM, creating a .98 GB garbage file takes a long time; it's painful when I'm trying to look busy/work. My hard drive's been thrashing for an hour now, I just keep hoping my boss doesn't walk by and look at my taskbar to see what the heck is going on.

My workstation here at work is a bit lacking, but yeah, BitTorrent works well if your network is configured right.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

york28
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 11:11 AM

You should auto-hide your task bar.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by york28:
You should auto-hide your task bar.
Hah. Well as a matter of fact, I got to work today and my boss said they had a meeting and one of the other workers mentioned that I have a hard time staying on task. I.. I... grrr.

So now they're transferring me to a Mac shop for the rest of the Summer. Heh, normally I'd be stoked... but I'm a hard worker, and this kinda comes as a slap on the wrist and an insult. What would my mom say? I'm a failure!

edit: Ohh... they aren't singling me out for being a slacker... the other department just needs Mac help. I get my own Mac workstation now. For a minute there I thought I was in trouble.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jun 26, 2003 at 02:17 PM. )

elucid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2003, 01:15 PM

hello

why use these torrent sites when you could use mldonkey, which searches and connects to bittorent,edonkey,fasttrack,etc....

i swear by it but anyone know something i don't?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by elucid:
hello

why use these torrent sites when you could use mldonkey, which searches and connects to bittorent,edonkey,fasttrack,etc....

i swear by it but anyone know something i don't?
mldonkey is a little tricky to get working... For example: I consider myself a fairly adept user but I've never gotten mldonkey to work so well that I'd swear by it. I downloaded one fairly large movie once... but it took days. Who knows... but BitTorrent works well for me. The reasons I swear by BitTorrent are the same that you swear by mldonkey; it works for me.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jun 26, 2003, 09:11 PM

MlDonkey is ok, but sometime I never get a connection and files just stay there and say stalled while other times I get 70kbs+ download speeds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules