Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen flickering......

Screen flickering......
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 11:36 AM

700 combo.
my screen just started flikering. Not horribly, but every few seconds/min it dims a bit then back to normal. I've never noticed this before even on my 500.

Should I run and sell it or is it fine? I dont have apple care. I bought it in November as a refurb.

everyonce in a while the screen will just go dark. You can still see that its on and whats on the screen (barely) but it takes a restart to fix it.

I'm scared

ibook_steve
Jun 25, 2003, 12:58 PM

Either your backlight inverter, the board that generates the high voltage to active the backlight, or the backlight cables is failing. It's possible that the cables are being crunched in the hinge. Go to the Apple Store and see what they say. I think you're going to need a repair here.

Steve

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 04:00 PM

you could allways buy an 3 Year Extended AppleCare Warrenty (for about $245) that way your covered, cause if the LCD goes, your book aint worth poop! (apple charges $220 for Labor when I got my 500mhz iBook's screen fixed, lucky I had the Extended Applecare Warrenty, so it was covered)

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 04:37 PM

Same symptoms, but the problems accelerated. After a couple weeks, the screen would jolt between various brightnesses and black. Since Monday, only black. Sending it in tonight to be repaired. From reports on the forum, sounds like the logic board is another possible point of failure. I agree with carnage. If you can still buy AppleCare, I'd suggest you do so and get it taken care of.

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 04:27 PM

went to the new Apple store in Chicago
(see my photos HERE
and talked to them about the flickering. Said it was the back light and it needed to be replaced. Also said it was still totally under warrenty. no cost to me whatso ever. NICE. now if they have to send it away, I will

mark2
Jun 28, 2003, 04:52 PM

You can buy Apple Care until the last month of your original warranty. Check with AC seller, the exact date to be sure.
Do a google of smalldog and go check their prices for Apple Care. They often have the lowest price.
Glad you're going to have your computer fixed under warranty.

I'm still plugging along with an ibook 500. It's a little slow, but I love this machine and I plan to keep it as long as it keeps on working. So far, knock on wood, it's been completely trouble-free.
Got AC a long time ago.

Giles Booth
Jun 30, 2003, 03:47 AM

SeSawaya, I had exactly the same problem with my dual-USB iBook - it was 18 months old but luckily it was still covered by the store's extended guarantee and they sent it back to Apple who fixed it - I am definately going to buy AppleCare though as I asm sure the problem is likely to re-occur. The store actually lost my iBook and they were going to give me a brand new one - then they found mine ;-(

mark2
Jul 8, 2003, 10:52 AM

Here's a link to a thread containing a LOT of information about the problem of shorted display cables on iBooks. This information may be helpful to those whose machines are no longer under warranty

http://forums.dealmac.com/read.html?...1205&t=1251205

Forum Links
Forum Rules