Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Visiting NYC

Visiting NYC
jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 06:41 PM

I friend and I are going to NYC the first weekend in August and staying for about 4 days.

What should we do? Tips? suggestions? What to avoid, etc.

We're a couple of cheap college students, but do intend to have some fun.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2003, 06:45 PM

I know nothing about NY but I remembered this thread and it might get you started.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2003, 08:13 PM

When I go back to NYC, definitely want to visit the Soho Apple Store.

I would recomend visiting Ground Zero!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2003, 08:51 PM

I'll be in NYC this coming weekend. I'm treating my partner and myself to a couple of nights here. I think it is going to be a fun weekend.

Edit: grammar!
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Jul 6, 2003 at 09:13 PM. )

MisterX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2003, 09:03 PM

Mac Store!!!!!

Its Better To Burn Out than fade away

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 02:58 PM

I would recommend the Museum of Natural History. You will get a chance to see the newly renovated Hall of Sea Life (or whatever it's called). You'll definately want to get to the top of the Empire State Building.

If your going to stay in New York City, the best place to stay is the Marriot Marquis. It is right in the heart of Manhattan at Times Square. You can go to the top of the Marriot Marquis to eat. The top slowly spins, giving you a view of the whole city. Also, I'd recommend Knickerbauchers, which has some of the best food I've ever had. Go for the steak dinner. That particular restaurant is also closed to the Apple SOHO store, to it would be a convenient stop for you.

You can shop 5th Avenue, take in a show on Broadway (Phantom of the Opera highly recommended), revisit your childhood and go into FAO Schwartz. There are a million things to do....these are just some of my favorites.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2003, 03:27 PM

A friend of my brother's wife bought a bunch of fake designer handbags on the streets and sold them for a healthy profit down here (DC) with full disclosure of their "knock-off" status. She made a bundle and now has set up a little business, not unlike Mary Kay, where she is hosting parites and selling the stuff.

Anyway, my point is, perhaps you can fund your trip by selling fake stuff to other poor college students that can't afford the real deal.

Just don't be a jerk and tell them it's real.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2003, 03:28 PM

I second the Museum of Natural History. Wonderful place, though weekends it gets very crowded with little kiddies.

If you are into museums, just wander down the Museum Mile.

If you have the time and patience, you can wait for cheap seats to a Broadway show. I believe you buy them at the door for that day's show.

Have fun

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
I second the Museum of Natural History. Wonderful place, though weekends it gets very crowded with little kiddies.

If you are into museums, just wander down the Museum Mile.

If you have the time and patience, you can wait for cheap seats to a Broadway show. I believe you buy them at the door for that day's show.

Have fun
Wife and I were in NYC a month ago for a few days.

Def. check out the Museum of Natural History. Well worth the $12 "recommended" entrance fee.

For B'way tickets, get in line by, oh, say 2:00 at TKTS in Times Square for the evening shows. We saw Thoroughly Modern Milly, and enjoyed it, well, thoroughly. They don't start selling tickets until 3:00, but you really need to be in line by 2:00 (or even earlier) to get tickets to any show.

While you're standing in line, send someone from your group up to find the scouters for Letterman. You'll have to answer a question or two about the show to get tickets. I think they do one show Mon.-Wed. and two on Thurs.

If you want off the beaten path restaurant recs. just say so. Most expensive meal we ate was $70 for two, and included a bottle of wine. Most dinners hovered around the $35 mark.

Have fun,

Kevin

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 05:26 PM

If you want to go off the beaten path (well relative for tourism, anyway...) check out the following:

- The Cloisters. Take the A to the end of the line. It's really nice up there; great medieval art/architecture, and lovely views of the Hudson.

- Wander around Carl Shurtz Park (up by Gracie Mansion); it's very much a quiet, neighborhood scene there

- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and wander around Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill. Beautiful Browstone blocks, and Montague street has some funky stores and nice restaurants. Check out the Transit Museum while yer there, its cool.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 11:13 PM

I happen to love The Upright Citizens' Brigade Theater, but I haven't been there in a year or so. Basically, it's cheap ($5 - $7, or sometimes free) sketch comedy, and it's usually HILARIOUS. Be aware: you have to call and make reservations in advance.

If you're looking for a fun and crowded dessert place, try Serendipity 3, and definitely go for the Frozen Hot Chocolate. Again, call and make reservations in advance.

Finally, I just read something in the New York Times (free reg. required) about this thing called "The Angel Project," which is some weird theatrical piece that apparently consists of a walking tour that allows you to see nine reasonably famous different locations on or around 42nd Street, from unusual perspectives. I'm still pretty confused about the details, but it seems totally worthy, if you have $90/person to spend on it. ($20/person for students.)

ENJOY!

xtal
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 10:14 AM

I just returned from a week long trip to NYC (my first time there) and it was great! Like you, I am also a student, and found that this gave me such great discounts at several places.

I would suggest an afternoon in Central Park, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA, relocated to Queen's), SoHo, Greenwich Village (great neighbourhood for drinks), and of course, the Empire State Building's observation level (do this one at a time to catch a sunset and stick around for some great night views of the city).

Do you need suggestions on where to stay? I stayed in a cheap (for NYC) but extremely clean and comfortable hotel near the Empire State Building (34th and Broadway to be exact).

Because you're on a bit of a time budget, I would stick to one or two museums, Central Park, Times Square and the Empire State building. There are maps and such everywhere, and you should have no trouble finding your way around. Have fun!

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

xtal
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 10:17 AM

I completely forgot to mention student rush tickets for musicals. These are available the day of the show, and are around $25 or so. Well worth it, and much cheaper than the TKTS booth in times square. You need your student ID, and not all shows offer them. Some that do are: Chicago, Aida, and 42nd Street. Call the theatre in advance to ask about student rush tickets, or just rush tickets. I saw Chicago from the 4th row for $25, and it was great!

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
I would recommend the Museum of Natural History. You will get a chance to see the newly renovated Hall of Sea Life (or whatever it's called). You'll definately want to get to the top of the Empire State Building.

If your going to stay in New York City, the best place to stay is the Marriot Marquis. It is right in the heart of Manhattan at Times Square. You can go to the top of the Marriot Marquis to eat. The top slowly spins, giving you a view of the whole city. Also, I'd recommend Knickerbauchers, which has some of the best food I've ever had. Go for the steak dinner. That particular restaurant is also closed to the Apple SOHO store, to it would be a convenient stop for you.

You can shop 5th Avenue, take in a show on Broadway (Phantom of the Opera highly recommended), revisit your childhood and go into FAO Schwartz. There are a million things to do....these are just some of my favorites.
I second this post!

May I add a dinner suggestion:

Sparks Steakhouse (lookup address), somewhere down 41st, or 39th... something like that, you could walk to it from Grand Central if you want to. It's pricy, but amazing food. It's famous because it's where Castellano got shot in 85 or 86'.. don't remember what year. There is a reason why the mob loves the place. The food is amazing. You pay for it, it's not cheap... but it's worth doing once in your life.

I would also recommend Carmines (Timesquare) for dinner. Good location, great food, and suprisingly a ton of food for your money. 4 people can eat for aprox. $80 (including desert, and appetizers). For midtown NYC, and for the quality/size of food, that's pretty good. Sadly, you need either a reservation 3 months in advance, or be prepaired to wait.

Also good is "restraunt row" in midtown. I think it's like 43rd street. It's a street filled with resturaunts in the basements of all these old appartment. Each one is good, with it's own destinct style/feel. Prices vary. Lots of variety. Not exactly sure what street, but it's something like 43rd street, and perhaps 7th Ave? Some of the older local hotels know the street by "resturaunt row", or by some other similar name. Ask anyone in the Hotel for a street lined with these resturaunts, and they should know.

Can also call up Comedy Central and catch a taping of the Daily show (also in Midtown). Free tickets, doors open @ 5:00 or so. Good couple hours of fun... then you still have your evening.

Some advice: Eat during off hours. Brunch, late dinners, lunch-dinners are good. Less waiting, and if you go for lunch-dinner.... lower prices. The waiting can kill you, especially in the summer with all the toursists. Just adjusting your feeding time like this can add hours to your day (if you want to go to popular places to eat).

enjoy.

P.S: Got some family coming for a visit in a few weeks. That means I get to play tourist with them! Always fun.

jersey
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 01:48 PM

My best suggestion is to plan ahead. Get a map and plan your time before you arrive. If youre lost dont be afraid to look like a tourist, just ask someone. Most people are more than willing to point you in the general direction of something. Hit mid and uptown stuff one day and downtown the other. (Personal opinion, downtown will be way more fun.)Hit the Met. one day and leave Times square for that evening as well. Definitely visit the Soho Apple store. Since youre a student you'll probably enjoy a trip down St. Marks place. Be sure to stop into Kims music/video store.Catch a show at CGBG too since you'll be in that area. After that may I suggest you dine at a place named Risa. It's at 477 E. Houston st. across from Soho Billiards. Wonderful Italian food at a reasonable price. Myself and 3 others had dinner there a week ago and it was a bit more than $100 for four meals, several appetizers and drinks. But get there early (7:30 ish) or they will be filled with reservations. After dinner head down the block and around the corner to Puck Fair for some drinks. It's located at 290 something on Lafayette st. Good times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules