Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > America's Army - What's the word ?

America's Army - What's the word ?
PacHead
Baninated
Jun 13, 2003, 04:54 PM

So I read America's Army is coming for Mac, supposedly in June.

Well, it's now almost the middle of june. Anybody know anything about it ?

And this game is free ! and it's supposed to be pretty cool & realistic . Anybody ever try it on the pc side ?

I hope the servers rock. US military, hehe. . . .

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 05:16 PM

It's almost the middle of June so that means we have more than half a month left. So just be patient for now Last I heard it's still in beta testing.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure but I really like that game. I can't wait.

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Jun 13, 2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
I'm not sure but I really like that game. I can't wait.

And I'm sure the US Army really likes that you like that game. Afterall, Uncle Sam wants YOU!

(I suppose you can ignore this comment if you're not an american.)

JB72
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:
And I'm sure the US Army really likes that you like that game. Afterall, Uncle Sam wants YOU!

(I suppose you can ignore this comment if you're not an american.)
Haha I'm sure they do. I think I'm a tad beyond switching my career to "soldier" at this point though. I'll just take the game .

JB72
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 08:10 AM

Looks like it's coming in July. Sweet.

Mac Attack

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2003, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
Looks like it's coming in July. Sweet.

Mac Attack
Sweet.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 08:42 PM

Off of their Website

---

The minimum system requirements for America�s Army: Operations are:
Pentium III / 766MHz
128MB RAM
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
DirectX 8.1
32MB 3D Graphics card supporting hardware
transformation and lighting
600MB disk space
4x CD Drive
DirectX 8.0 compatible sound card
56Kbps modem or faster net connection

The recommended system requirements for America�s Army: Operations are:
Pentium 4 1.4 GHz
256MB RAM
Windows ME/2000/XP
DirectX 8.1
64MB GeForce3 or similar 3D card
1GB disk space
4x CD Drive
EAX 3.0 compatible sound card
Broadband network connection
----

Wonder What Ours Will Be

cdrgonzo20
Jul 2, 2003, 10:48 PM

the only requirements are gullibility and ignorance.
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
-------------------------------------
My system specs:

2 furry caches
17" diaganol quad pumped weener
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR
overpriced, underperforming, but sleek nonetheless.

I also have a G4.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2003, 12:02 AM

Even if it's a great game, I just can't bring myself to support army propaganda.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2003, 10:56 AM

IMHO best game since Goldeneye...

I never get addicted to video games...

I never missed dinner in my entire life.

I was playing this, and forgot all about eating.

It's just to damn good.

Conscript
Jul 4, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Even if it's a great game, I just can't bring myself to support army propaganda.

Alpha-sphere
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2003, 07:23 PM

Played this game on my PC when it first got out. Was queuing @ fileplanet the instant it came out But haven't played it for a long while now. Back then i was hooked on Tactical Ops and still am. Tactical Ops can also be run on a mac. Needs some modification though to get 3.40 working but well worth the hassel.

I will install Tactical Ops as soon as i have a 15" powerbook. And maybe AA too if i don't get all hang up on Tactical Ops
Powered by a 15" alu powerbook superdrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Conscript:
Why does this merit a rolleyes? The army is trying to get people to enroll by making a video game. Killing people in real life is not like a video game, my friend. I really can't support this idea.

cdrgonzo20
Jul 6, 2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Why does this merit a rolleyes? The army is trying to get people to enroll by making a video game. Killing people in real life is not like a video game, my friend. I really can't support this idea.
Our tax dollars to indoctrinate tomorrow's youth. Another wonderful step into a dark future.
My system specs:

2 furry caches
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR

I also have a G4.

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 02:03 AM

The one positive thing this game gives our future troops is a chance to understand the real thing. It's not just a game where you keep coming back until the time limit is over. Survival is important.

I've heard that the game is good and look forward to playing it. It was commissioned long before the current messes and, though I'm against war in general, I see a need to give the troops any tool that will help them survive better.
folding@home is good for you.

cdrgonzo20
Jul 7, 2003, 03:09 AM

i have no problem helping troops survive, but that is not the purpose of this game. The game was developed as a means of recruitment. The notion that a computer game could in anyway impart the sense of true battle is ludicrous, which is precisely why this game is so dangerous. You can now play a game that shows you everything great about being in the army without the one major drawback, the fact that you have to kill or be killed.

This is a situation where not downloading or playing the game sends a strong message. Not playing says that you do not in any way support the production of propaganda...

I'm a filmmaker and i would be furious if the government made a film that was free admission in an effort to increase recruitment. I can't understand why fans or producers of video/computer games are not equally outraged. Even without a political agenda I think most people would agree that a free and democratic government should not rely on such tactics to persuade its populous, who should rightfully be its rulers.
My system specs:

2 furry caches
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR

I also have a G4.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2003, 01:03 PM

If you don't like the game, then fine, don't download it.
I'm sure there are many, many mac users who will download this game and find it enjoyable. Not all mac users are liberals you know.

It's free and if its good, then what's there to complain about ?

Propaganda ? Indocdrinating ?

Are there subliminal messages included in the game that brainwashes people or something ? Do they have hidden frames everyonce in awhile, telling people to recruit ?

No, of course not, lol. (Unless you're some wacky, conspiracy believing leftist perhaps)

If somebody wants to release a free game as a means of promotion or advertisement, then so what. There's hardly any games that make it to mac to begin with. Let's not complain about the few that do, least of all, a game that will not cost anything to buy, and is supposed to be pretty good to boot.

And, promoting for the USA military is good anyhow. I've never been in the military myself, nor do i have any plans of signing up, but I don't see anything wrong with using the game as a recruiting tool. We could use more people in the military, as there are doubtless other wars to be fought in the future.

Why this hatred of the military ? Ah, you must be one of those peaceniks who was against the war in Iraq also probably.

And from what Ive read, the game is not a simple "Kill em All" type of first person shooter as other games. It encourages teamplay and strives to be realistic.

Of course it cannot be compared to real life ! It's a friggin' game.
If anybody has a problem distinguishing from a game and real life, needs to seek phsyciatric help. A game is the least of their problems.

Since you're a filmmaker, i suggest you go and make some films ala "michael moore". Now there's a guy who doesn't deal in propaganda and nasty lies. (not)

Try to be proud of your country, instead of being an American with dubious patriotic values. A distrust of your own military ? Oh well, if it's that bad, move to another country. You speak of the USA as if it was commie Russia back in the sixties or something.

Here's the announcement from the game's website regarding the mac version, which was posted on july 2.

Mac Attack:
This month, Mac gamers will be able to join the ranks of over 1.7 million registered players of America�s Army. This Mac release of America�s Army version 1.7 will be available for download via the Akamai premium download site hyperlink on our downloads page. Keep an eye out for a �Mac attack� on America�s Army later this month.

Happy Killing !

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
<snip>
Ugh, horrible post. Too many contradictions to count.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
Ugh, horrible post. Too many contradictions to count.

Yeah, your post makes some excellent counter arguments !

I give your debating technique 10 points ! (not)

bousozoku
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
i have no problem helping troops survive, but that is not the purpose of this game. The game was developed as a means of recruitment. The notion that a computer game could in anyway impart the sense of true battle is ludicrous, which is precisely why this game is so dangerous. You can now play a game that shows you everything great about being in the army without the one major drawback, the fact that you have to kill or be killed.

This is a situation where not downloading or playing the game sends a strong message. Not playing says that you do not in any way support the production of propaganda...

I'm a filmmaker and i would be furious if the government made a film that was free admission in an effort to increase recruitment. I can't understand why fans or producers of video/computer games are not equally outraged. Even without a political agenda I think most people would agree that a free and democratic government should not rely on such tactics to persuade its populous, who should rightfully be its rulers.
Perhaps, you should be attacking the Marines or Navy filmmakers who show miltary life to be one accomplishment after another without conflict in their various infomercials and advertisements.

If your hope is realised, maybe the American people will wake up and start noticing that they are constantly deceived.

Pachead:

You show such blind trust of the military and the government. People can disagree with the war in Iraq without being peaceniks. It doesn't make them any less American for doing so. Your comments to that end show such a misunderstanding of what America really is.
folding@home is good for you.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2003, 03:27 PM

Please people, its a game...Do you complain when people give you free samples at the local supermarket? Ofcourse not...or atleast I hope . Anyway, I myself have never played this game and am looking forward to it, I just hope its a clean port, they should take example from UT2k3.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Please people, its a game...Do you complain when people give you free samples at the local supermarket? Ofcourse not...or atleast I hope . Anyway, I myself have never played this game and am looking forward to it, I just hope its a clean port, they should take example from UT2k3.
They guy who ported UT2K3 is porting AA... and it looks like he's looking for beta testers.

cdrgonzo20
Jul 7, 2003, 06:51 PM

Indeed I am a peacenik, but that is not why I take issue with this game. While you may attack me as a liberal, leftist, peace lover, anti patriotic or any of a host of other ad hominim remarks that are popular presently, my problem with the game transcends rash political definitions... I believe that the government of a free society has no right to intrude on any art form in an effort to direct societal change. A free society requires that the people are informed by a neutral source, and any intrusion into that requirement should be deemed harmful to the society.

Since Michael Moore seems to be your artist of choice, I will say this then. If Bowling for Columbine were produced by the government and shown for free I would not only boycott it, I would protest it. Once again, consistency is the key here and I do have a point... I'm not sure I followed your point about my being a filmmaker, but the reason I initially made that known was to underline how furious I would be if MY artform were likewise infringed upon, and how disappointed I am that another form of art, games, are being used by the government as forms of propoganda.

The government finds ways to rid itself of the rules most colleges are required to follow during the recruitment process. For example, the military is able to make all sorts of promises to potential recruits that may or may not be accurate, but are illegal for normal colleges to make. The game follows a similar, but more subtle pattern. In creating this game, the military has created a world in which a player can go through certain army-like drills without any of the pain or difficulty involved in such drills. There will be no tears shed while capping a 3d model, and there will be no sweat while navigating obstacles. If that is not a form of subliminal attack, then it is at best a sinister form of advertisement.

Please hold back responding if the best you can do is call me a peacenick or a liberal. honestly, I respect you, but I hear that **** far too often and its all too convenient to attack me rather than attack my arguments on their own merits. Peace.
My system specs:

2 furry caches
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR

I also have a G4.

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Jul 7, 2003, 07:27 PM

You certainly have the right to your beliefs, but why this need to rain on everybody elses parade, who might find this game to be interesting ?

And speaking of ad hominem attacks, i believe your first post in this thread went something like this:

"the only requirements are gullibility and ignorance."

If that doesn't smell like a troll, then I don't know what.

You wandered into this thread attacking, don't be surprised when people strike back.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2003, 11:17 PM

Disturbingly close to Political Forum?
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by blizzard:
Disturbingly close to Political Forum?
Disturbingly.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 02:21 AM

cdrgonzo20 "I believe that the government of a free society has no right to intrude on any art form in an effort to direct societal change"
Why not beeing opposed to gravity and evolution as well? Any group that holds power and influence be it government, a ethnical group or a organisation use art in one way or the other to make people "think different" or "just do it".....

Having done a year or service (not in the US army) I agree with the notion that if you can not tell the difference between a game and RL you have problems. Playing AA will not change my opinion about the US army or the politics that governs it anymore than playing BloodRyne would change me from a blood donor to a noucturnal creature that break in to blood banks

If it is a good game offered for free I will play it

cdrgonzo20
Jul 8, 2003, 03:50 AM

My original post was indeed based on insults, and for that I duly apologize. However, those are characteristics that I genuinely believe somebody who downloads and plays this game displays, and since it wasn't used in response to any specific argument, it was not intended to hold any bearing on my future points.

Granted you won't become bloodrayne, but is that a reasonable outcome? On the other hand, becomming a recruit for the military is a potential, realistic outcome of playing AA. I take issue specifically with the government influencing an art form that is entirely reliant on revenue for survival. Naturally people will favor free over not, and this intrusion upsets the natural market forces. This is why I feel the analogy to films is accurate. If the government began releasing big budget movies for free admission, naturally people would favor seeing the free movie over ones that cost money. Those who are uninterested in watching said film are relegated to paying for it through taxes.

The point is not whether you can tell the difference between real and virtual, the point is that the game blends the two in a potentially damaging way. My statement that one must be ignorant to play this game has little to do with telling the difference between real combat and virtual, and everything to do with the idea that one must be ignorant if they believe this game is not crafted ENTIRELY for the purpose of recruitment, and is therefore far more dangerous than it may externally appear.

It is for these reasons I suggest boycotting. Notice not once did I mention any current events bearing on my arguments or any contemporary political stances. This is not remotely close to being a discussion on politics, it is a discussion on whether or not we should be downloading a GAME, and this is a GAME forum. This game may well change the future of the industry if it is a large success. If we envision two potential futures, one where this game was inneffective, and one where this game was effective, I believe the former is the more desireable outcome. I would like to see games evolve into pure art, yet that is not possible if games are to be created as effective marketing tools rather than effective entertainment. Go buy metroid prime or some equivelent game that cost oodles to make in addition to extraordinary talent and effort thrown in from game designers who are payed by your purchases. That game is art...Peace.
My system specs:

2 furry caches
198 lb ham
44x36x57 CWR

I also have a G4.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2003, 07:32 AM

So how is AA different from any other game where you pretend you're an army officer running around blowing **** up? Can you argue that MOH is also a recruitment tool, because it accurately illustrates the finer points of being in the army? Or is it different because it was commercially created, and not released for free? It's kind of a fuzzy line you're stepping on there. And the argument about freeware means that you are also opposed to running a utility like Silk on your system since that would mean disrupting the natural economics processes at work...why use a free utility when you can have one that you should pay for? I'll grant that Silk doesn't have a shareware competitor, but you get my drift.

In any case, AA has been out for almost a year for the PC, and so far its impact has been negligible at best. So don't lose any sleep over its Mac release.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by cdrgonzo20:
Granted you won't become bloodrayne, but is that a reasonable outcome? On the other hand, becomming a recruit for the military is a potential, realistic outcome of playing AA. I take issue specifically with the government influencing an art form that is entirely reliant on revenue for survival. Naturally people will favor free over not, and this intrusion upsets the natural market forces. This is why I feel the analogy to films is accurate. If the government began releasing big budget movies for free admission, naturally people would favor seeing the free movie over ones that cost money. Those who are uninterested in watching said film are relegated to paying for it through taxes.
As someone who has been recruited by the Army AND the Air Force, and by corporate recruiters, I can tell you that they have deserved their reputation for dishonesty (the Army ones, not the Air Force), but by far some of the worst experiences I have had have been with corporate recruiters. They are a blood-thirsty lot.

The fact that the Army makes television commercials, theater commercials, encourages favorable representation in movies, supports ROTC, etc, just means they are doing what is necessary to actively recruit people in a society where young people are increasingly wooed by high profile jobs in tech and business.

At any rate, I would be more than happy to eliminate the National Endowment for the Arts as I have every objection to that that you have for this game.

So lighten up - all video games are propoganda - NONE OF IT IS REAL!

JB72
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
IMHO best game since Goldeneye...
It definitely has that Goldeneye feel. It's one of the best FPS's out there, it's free, and they're bringing it to the Mac. I'm all over that.

I can understand if someone has political objections to it. But I'll be playing it regardless. More bandwidth for me .

Forum Links
Forum Rules