Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Arrgh!! How can I fix this??? (AC adaptor)

Arrgh!! How can I fix this??? (AC adaptor)
oldmaccy2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 08:12 AM

Help. Please.
The brass tip of the central spindle of the power adaptor has snapped off, and is lodged INSIDE (deep inside) the power socket.
How the **** am I going to get it out?
I will have to buy a new adaptor I know, but unless I can get the bit out I won't be able to use it!
How easy is access to the power socket from the inside? Will I be able to push it out with a needle or similar? Or will the 'latch' inside make that impossible?
Can this part (the socket) be replaced easily, or is it (please no) soldered to the motherboard?
I am GUTTED. My life revolves around this computer.
Reassuring words requested please!

mark2
Jul 8, 2003, 10:33 AM

Sorry, I don't know a sure solution to your problem. This is something I've worried about. I think this design (with this very thin plug) is one of the weakest parts of the power supply.
I used to repair electronics and some of the techs have a very fine set of needlenose pliers. With these, they may be able to get enough of a grip to pull the broken piece out of the plug. You could call a few of the local electronics repair shops and ask if they think they can do this, or if they would be willing to look at it. If they can reach it, it should only take a second to remove it, and should cost next to nothing. Doesn't necessarily have to be a computer tech, just someone who knows what he's doing.

As far as the plug is concerned, you should be able to find a replacement. Take it to an electronics parts distributor and they may be able to help you. It should be a very minor task to have the new plug soldered onto the end of your power supplie's wire lead.
Again, this is a minor task and it shouldn't cost you more than a few bucks, if you find an ethical tech. It would just take a few moments work to get this replaced.

Please let us know how you get it fixed, I'm sure this won't be the last time we hear about this.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 10:47 AM

Maybe you should consider taking it to an Apple store, I'm sure they've dealt with something like this before.

oldmaccy2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2003, 08:13 AM

Well, here's the result:

I tried using the most needley of needle-nose pliers to grab the bit, but all that happened was that it got pushed further in.

However, it is now so far in that I can insert a new plug (borrowed for the moment) and all works fine.

Not the most ideal of solutions, as my ibook now has a piece of metal rattling (not literally) around its head like an old war veteran, but at least it works.

I will see if I can get the old adaptor plug fixed, but I'm not hopeful as it seems to me to be an Apple custom part (three annuluses on the spindle as far as I can see) and non-standard, but I'll let you know.

Otherwise it's off to spend 10% of the cost of a whole new ibook for a new one.

Or there's always ebay.

Forum Links
Forum Rules