Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another big Nintendo GameCube game bomb...

Another big Nintendo GameCube game bomb...
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:22 PM

I am sure that many of you including myself have been waiting for another great GameCube game since Zelda is over with....

Well, Wario World is out in a few days, problem is... get this.... it is 5 HOURS LONG!

What the hell!

People are still bitching that Luigi's Mansion was 10 hours but 5? What the heck!

Anywho, here is hoping that Mario Cart and F-Zero kick major butt.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/425/425079p2.html

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2003, 08:27 PM

Yeesh, 5 hours? Meh, I wasn't excited for the game anyway; I'm holding out for Mario Kart and F-Zero.

Immortal K-Mart Employee  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Yeesh, 5 hours? Meh, I wasn't excited for the game anyway; I'm holding out for Mario Kart and F-Zero.
Wow, I have to say I am shocked that you didn't say it is worth it if the 5 hours is good.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:35 PM

Never was interested in Wario, still isn't. The true summer gems will be Mario Kart and F-Zero. I just CAN'T WAIT for those two games.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 08:38 PM

5 hours is perfect for really casual and beginner gamers.

It takes all levels.

BlackGriffen

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
5 hours is perfect for really casual and beginner gamers.
That want to blow $50 for 5 hours?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
That want to blow $50 for 5 hours?
In what metric? There's no way I could finish any game in 10 hours, even less in 5. I play games rarely, but I am not a beginner.

For example, I just finished playing A Link to the Past, and I estimate I played 100 hours, CHEATING.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
In what metric? There's no way I could finish any game in 10 hours, even less in 5. I play games rarely, but I am not a beginner.
Well if you can't finish Luigi's Mansion in 10 hours then I am surprised that you can even figure out how to turn on the TV

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 08:55 PM

Well if you can't finish Luigi's Mansion in 10 hours then I am surprised that you can even figure out how to turn on the TV
Maybe if there weren't any ghosts or monsters I could walk through all the levels in 10 hours.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 09:11 PM

I think difficulty and replay value are both factors being ignored by IKME. It may not be hard for you, but perhaps you aren't the target audience. My guess would be that this game is meant to be a "pick up and play" type game that little kids and casual gamers can cut their game-teeth on.

BlackGriffen

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 09:31 PM

Vice City is still fun. So's Gran Turismo.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by NoMoreBanning68:
Vice City is still fun. So's Gran Turismo.
What? No Gamecube is for kiddies and they should stop making hardware comments?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 10:15 PM

What? No Gamecube is for kiddies and they should stop making hardware comments?
Isn't that a given? Even you just said it.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by NoMoreBanning68:
Isn't that a given? Even you just said it.
Na, GC has a few wicked cool games. Just not many mature ones as PS2 or XBox. Don't mean they are any less fun though.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:34 PM

Metroid: Prime was the best game I ever played. It's not meant for kids, trust me.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Metroid: Prime was the best game I ever played. It's not meant for kids, trust me.
Ya it was awesome, so was the last Zelda, the system was worth it just for those 2 games.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 10:53 PM

Na, GC has a few wicked cool games. Just not many mature ones as PS2 or XBox. Don't mean they are any less fun though.
Exactly the reason I passed on the GC. N64 had some great games too, but suffered from the same lack of variety. Sad to see Nintendo having the same problem again.

5 hours? There's really no good excuse for that. I hope it's priced low.

At least everyone can look forward to Soul Calibur 2.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 11:05 PM

Ya it was awesome, so was the last Zelda, the system was worth it just for those 2 games.
Is it really worth your time starting a thread just to bash the GameCube?

I have 5 games for my GameCube and I love all of them. I'd rather have a couple good games than a ton of so-so ones. It's cheaper that way, and it takes up less time.

I think it's funny that a) you're attacking the GameCube for having A game that is short, and b) that you felt you had to start a whole thread about it and c) that you feel you have to attack everyone who has anything positive to say about the 'Cube.

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
it's funny that a) you're attacking the GameCube for having A game that is short, and b) that you felt you had to start a whole thread about it and c) that you feel you have to attack everyone who has anything positive to say about the 'Cube.
Wow you're an idiot. I have have said more positive about the GC then negative in this thread and I am not attacking anyone who says something positive about the GC.

Or is there a don't ever say anything bad about the GC rule here?

Now THAT is funny.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2003, 01:06 AM

OK I am scared, this just gave a very poor outlook for Mario Cart.

I know, I know it is not coming out for months and speed is the last thing they worry about. didn't help us much with OSX 10.0 saying that though did it.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/428/428291p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
OK I am scared, this just gave a very poor outlook for Mario Cart.

I know, I know it is not coming out for months and speed is the last thing they worry about. didn't help us much with OSX 10.0 saying that though did it.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/428/428291p1.html
Damn, that isn't good.. Fran's a honest reviewer and I agree with him most of the time.

Sometime Nintendo's being too stubborn. Mega-kiddy graphics made me sick

------

Wario.. Coming from a great developer like Treasure, I'm really disappointed. They've done many better/longer games than Wario

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 01:25 AM

I've never had much faith in Mario Kart since, with the exception of Crash Team Racing, every post-Super Mario Kart kart racing game has been weak. (Yes, that includes Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart: Super Circuit.)

But that has nothing to do with what's wrong with Wario World. The problem with that one was outsourcing development to Treasure. Treasure makes some incredible looking games (anyone remember Gunstar Heroes?), but they're always short and shallow.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2003, 01:30 AM

5 hours isn't bad, seriously for a game of this type.

For things like say, Max Payne, it would be a total rip off, because usually that is about the story. However, this is a completely different style of game, it can't be judged in the same way.

Have you guys evern played any of the old school games.. like Star Fox, Star Fox 64, Super Mario World 1, 2, 3.. anything like that? Seriously, I could beat these games in way under 5 hours.. probably more than one too. But, these are some of the most enjoyable games of all time.. they have such immense replay value.. I can't count the number of times I have played them, over and over and over again..

I think this game falls in the same genre.

Keep in mind, Nintendo has always made these kinds of games.. since their inception. Their games are about being fun, and original. That's it. It doesn't matter how long the game is, if one can play it over and over again.. if it's a fun and exciting experience every time. It's the old axiom, quality over quantity.

And really, these types of games appeal to all ages.. all gamers. They are grass roots, and pure.. they are about what games were in the first place, something meant to be fun, and really, that's the bottom line for me at least.

One should at least try it...

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 02:03 AM

Five hours wasn't bad before most games had save options. When you had to start at the beginning every time, it meant you played for five hours every time.

Now that we don't have to start at the beginning every time, five hours is five hours. Too short.

Damn those evil memory cards!
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2003, 12:29 PM

I am sure that many of you including myself have been waiting for another great GameCube game since Zelda is over with....
I got Tiger Woods 2003 a couple days ago - outstanding game! If you like golf, get it. It's totally fun and has a huge amount of game modes... it reminds me of Mario Golf.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2003, 01:41 PM

I loved super mario cart 64.

Why in the hell doesn't nintendo understand that we want SPEED! I mean they are making F-Zero aren't they.

No way in hell are those kiddy graphics eating up the CPU so that we can't get a good sense of speed for christs sake!

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

permanent68
Banned
Jul 13, 2003, 01:50 AM

Hey my PS2 is in the other room. I think I'll go play the excellent GT3...or wait, maybe I'll play Grand Theft Auto... or maybe I'll play frequency... or a bunch of other of my cool games. Ah, its so nice to have a system with a lot of games....

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by permanent68:
Hey my PS2 is in the other room. I think I'll go play the excellent GT3...or wait, maybe I'll play Grand Theft Auto... or maybe I'll play frequency... or a bunch of other of my cool games. Ah, its so nice to have a system with a lot of games....
If GC is just a kiddy system, it doesn't matter that game selection is limited. Do you know how long it takes kids in the 7-13 range to save $50?

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
If GC is just a kiddy system, it doesn't matter that game selection is limited. Do you know how long it takes kids in the 7-13 range to save $50?
Since when do kids EVER buy a game on their own.

Anyway, Wario world just got another blasting review and not cuz it is short as hell:

http://planetgamecube.com/reviews.cf...profile&id=359

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
wow... you named 3 whole games... i wish game cube had 3 whole games

1. Metroid Prime
2. Zelda
3. Resident Evil 0 (i wont include RE1 Remake even tho I should)

To Be Released
1. F-Zero
2. Mario Kart
3. Soul Caliber
4. Resident Evil 4

now i have a ps2 with all the games you just mentioned, and yea they are fun but there are good games on the gamecube too... it is funny that a mac user that understands quality over quanity can be such a d0uchebag about a system that has a higher ratio of quality to crap

benb
Jul 13, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Since when do kids EVER buy a game on their own.

Anyway, Wario world just got another blasting review and not cuz it is short as hell:

http://planetgamecube.com/reviews.cf...profile&id=359
Ok. Then do you know how long it takes kids to convince thier parents to buy them a $50 game? Most kids don't pay for video games 2 times a year: Christmas and thier birthday.

permanent68
Banned
Jul 13, 2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
it is funny that a mac user that understands quality over quanity can be such a d0uchebag about a system that has a higher ratio of quality to crap
Uh oh. Now you get to be proven wrong. higher ratio you say? Wow. That's great. Unfortunately it still sucks. Think horespower per liter. A honda engine can make 100hp/liter. Impressive. Does this mean it is fast? In comparsion, to say a big block mopar V8? No. Just because it has a higher RATIO, does not mean it is fast.

Take gamecube: 5 good games/only 20 games produced for the game cube. A good game ratio of 25%. Wow!

Now a PS2: 50 good games out of 500 games produces. Only 10% good game ratio.

YET... with the PS2... I still have access to 45 more good games than you do with a game cube!

And yes, I know they made more than 40 games for the GC, I was just keeping everything simple in order to prove why your 'good game ratio' idea is a stupid thing to base one game system over another.

- Ca$h

Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Ok. Then do you know how long it takes kids to convince thier parents to buy them a $50 game? Most kids don't pay for video games 2 times a year: Christmas and thier birthday.
Oh great idea, since Nintendo is trying to convince everyone that they are NOT for kids it is ok that they come out with 2 games a year cuz kids only get games on the b-day and x-mas.

That is an awesome way to sell systems and convince the 18+ market.

Talk about your Nintendo apologist

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2003, 03:10 PM

Man, it's almost a PC v. Mac debate.

They're just video games. You play what you enjoy. Some people have this idea that they can only play video games with an ... "adult" feel, I guess it is? That's great. Others seem to confuse the concept of actual computer graphics with art style. Graphics are graphics. You apply whatever art style you want to to graphics to get the look the artists or developers desire. Zelda looks the way it does because of they art style they chose -- some people make it sound like there is an actual type of "kiddie graphics," and actually have a complex that prevents them from playing anything that could even be remotely enjoyable to anyone who's not an "adult." Why not just play your favorite games and shut the hell up about it already?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2003, 03:55 PM

MindFad, I agree 100% with your theory. Some people think that Art Style and 3D models can't match.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jul 13, 2003, 05:51 PM

Adam, weren't you at the E3 show some weeks ago? Did you play a pre-version of Mario Kart? Was is fast?
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2003, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by fhoubi:
Adam, weren't you at the E3 show some weeks ago? Did you play a pre-version of Mario Kart? Was is fast?
Nope I never went there. Perhaps you confused me with someone else?

I'd love to go there sometime though

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2003, 08:15 PM

gimme a freaking break. I personally love the gamecube since every single game I want is a gamecube game.. rofl..

my xbox continues to gather dust because not a single game I want for it is NOT available on the gamecube..

Not to mention I'd rather save up to get a gamecube and get all the good games then just stick with the xbox and it's lousy stuff.

5 hour game? By who.. It took me 3 *MONTHS* to finish the first half of zelda oot and that was playing it practically every day for at least an hour...

maybe it's just because I like to enjoy the games I buy not race to see how fast I can beat them
Aloha

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Link:
5 hour game? By who.. It took me 3 *MONTHS* to finish the first half of zelda oot and that was playing it practically every day for at least an hour...
In that case I think you would be very entertained by a simple bouncing ball then.

Plus of OOT took you 1 hour a day for 3 months then Wario would only take you 5 days at an hour a day.... and that SUX!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Man, it's almost a PC v. Mac debate.
Except for the price of a PC or Mac you can by the gamecube, ps2 & xbox.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by FauxCaster:
Except for the price of a PC or Mac you can by the gamecube, ps2 & xbox.
Huh? Is that supposed to be funny?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 02:50 PM

To put in perspective, I once had all three systems, and now I'm left with the GameCube. By choice. I don't care what anyone else says. Super Smash Bros. Melee is probably the best multiplayer game out there, Metroid Prime I enjoy more than Halo, Zelda is the most enjoyable game...

I know I named three, but I'm not here to give all of you my whole game list. For those of you that still think that Metroid Prime is a "kiddie game," you're not very intelligent.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

benb
Jul 14, 2003, 03:25 PM

Oh great idea, since Nintendo is trying to convince everyone that they are NOT for kids it is ok that they come out with 2 games a year cuz kids only get games on the b-day and x-mas.

That is an awesome way to sell systems and convince the 18+ market.

Talk about your Nintendo apologist
I could care less about this Nintendo's image and their marketing.

I only whated to prove SWG wrong. Which I did. Kids that don't buy games usually get them for Christmas and their birthday.

Talk about you typical K-Mart employee, incredibly stupid.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 04:07 PM

lol sad thing is I'm one of those 'kids that only gets things 2 times a year'

I dun really mind though.
Aloha

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 14, 2003, 04:14 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 12, 2004 at 02:06 PM. )

willed
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by wataru:

I have 5 games for my GameCube and I love all of them. I'd rather have a couple good games than a ton of so-so ones.
Yeah, but I'd rather have a ton of great ones (a la PS2)

permanent68
Banned
Jul 14, 2003, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by willed:
Yeah, but I'd rather have a ton of great ones (a la PS2)
freakin' werd up man.

- Rob

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 05:45 PM

I'm going to buy one simply because I want to play the new Zelda game. That game sold at least one system for Nintendo.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
As long as it was simply bouncing in and out of your cake hole. At least you'd STFU half the time.

Heck. I think most us us would pay $50 to see that. Even if it only lasted for 5 hours.

So. Do you take PayPal?

I have PayPal.

benb
Jul 14, 2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by iNub:
I'm going to buy one simply because I want to play the new Zelda game. That game sold at least one system for Nintendo.
Make that 2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules