Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The Missing Sync for PocketPC!

The Missing Sync for PocketPC!
ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 02:15 PM

It's available today with some pretty killer features!
  • Backup and Restore Handheld Data
  • Install Pocket PC Applications
  • Share your Mac's Internet Access with PocketPC when docked
  • iCal Conduit
  • Address Book Conduit
  • iTunes Plug-In (manage your PPC's MP3's within iTunes!)
  • iPhoto Plug-In (export photos directly for display on PocketPC)
  • Mount your Pocket PC's internal memory and expansion cards as volumes on the Mac desktop
http://www.markspace.com/pocketpc.html

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 03:10 PM

Anyone use this yet? It appears to be better than pocketmac. but does anyone have any hands-on experience to share?
Backup your Backup

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 04:14 PM

Are the addrsss book and iCal conduits two-way? Meaning, can I enter info to the calendar on the PocketPC and have it show up in iCal and vice versa?

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Are the addrsss book and iCal conduits two-way? Meaning, can I enter info to the calendar on the PocketPC and have it show up in iCal and vice versa?
Yes, it appears so. The first reviewer on VersionTracker had only good things to say about it. I would tend to agree, I used Missing Sync for Palm and it was fantastic.

I think I might buy an iPaq 2215, Palms are boring me to death these days (I sold my Tungsten T a while ago.)

ckohler  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 09:57 PM

I've installed this and it performed flawlessly using my iPaq 3650 (upgraded to PocketPC 2002). In fact, it's easier to set up than the real Activesync on Windows... and even uses the same sound effects.

A few cool things: You don't have to have the app running when you dock your PocketPC. It'll launch automatically. Also, it has some handy Dock menu options for mounting/unmounting, installing a file, etc.

Overall, I'm impressed.

mattmarshall
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 12:32 AM

do you have to install it on the pocket-pc using a pc? this is the case for pocketmac, which makes it completely dumb and useless.

is this a completely mac-only solution?

- matt

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 05:41 AM

Completely Mac - there is nothing to install on the PocketPC. One small issue is that it can't work with a firewall enabled.

Other than that, it works really well.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
One small issue is that it can't work with a firewall enabled.
Is the firewall limitation in the missing sync program itself? It would seem that if it was acting as an iSync conduit, the firewall would not be a problem. Is this only a problem with wireless access or with a USB cradle connection as well?

I'm really wanting to get this, but my previous pocket pc syncing debacles have me reluctant.
Backup your Backup

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by israces:
Is the firewall limitation in the missing sync program itself? It would seem that if it was acting as an iSync conduit, the firewall would not be a problem. Is this only a problem with wireless access or with a USB cradle connection as well?

I'm really wanting to get this, but my previous pocket pc syncing debacles have me reluctant.
I know that a lot of people are afraid after the PocketMac fiasco, but from the things I've read so far, the reviews seem overwhelmingly positive. I might be getting an HP 2215 tuesday so I'll let y'all know how it goes.

klinux
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 05:21 PM

Overall it works well albeit slow. For me, it synced fine although I have two other devices that I want to test.

My few complaint is that it does not sync to Entourage. Address Book is nicely tied in to the OS and apps but it is not as functionally as a full-fledged PIM program. Also, Calendars on PPC cannot sync into the same category as iCal. Again, can't sync to Entourage either but Mark Space has made it clear that this is not available in version 1.

This is a problem on the PPC side but it cannot display Unicode (non-English) so even though something would look great on Address Book/Entourage/iPod, it looks terrible on PPC.

Lastly, I only tried it once and took a while to fix it but I had major problem when I synced the device back to Outlook XP where it deleted events.

MS has also just release a bug fix too. Very responsive company.

alpha rays max
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 09:36 PM

I'm using it with a Dell Axim X5 and it's worked flawlessly so far. I have very basic needs however which do not include Entourage support so I don't even care about that personally.

For iCal, Address Book, installing .cab apps, and whatever else, it seems to be working great!

It is a Mac-only solution, btw.

Forum Links
Forum Rules