Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Toshiba's Answer To The 17-inch Powerbook

Toshiba's Answer To The 17-inch Powerbook
iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 04:23 PM

See it here.

It's pretty nice...for a PC notebook.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 04:24 PM

(But, no, I wouldn't want one.)

Toutgood
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2003, 05:07 PM

What the f*ck is the use of a laptop that to so humungous you don't want to take it anywhere?

I had a toshiba satellite before my tibook and the thing weighed like a gazzilion pounds.

Forget the screen size, pc makers. Make your smaller laptops more powerful with longer battery life and the sky's the limit. Then again Windows still sucks so never mind. I wouldn't mind running Slackware on one of them ultraportables though. Anyone ever tried Linux, like with say a Tecra or something? (Yes I digress)

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2003, 05:17 PM

The word Fugly (F'd up UGLY) comes to mind.

Of course, that's the major difference in Apple vs the rest of the world. Apple makes the best OS, and the most awesome looking machines to go around it.

djjava
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by macnnhelpme:
The word Fugly (F'd up UGLY) comes to mind.

Of course, that's the major difference in Apple vs the rest of the world. Apple makes the best OS, and the most awesome looking machines to go around it.
the thing weighs like 30lbs... (really, close to 10)
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2003, 05:38 PM

There are already some threads on that piece of crap.

But yeah, fcukin' butt. Ugly.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2003, 06:26 PM

Did you know that it comes with four wheels?

Yeah! I couldn't believe it but it does. And brackets that mount to the underside in each corner and then the wheels snap onto the brackets...it's the world's first laptop that also doubles as a skateboard!

What other uses could it have?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 08:01 PM

It weighs like more than Steve Balmer.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 08:11 PM

"Looks like ass" comes to mind.

Pangasius
Jul 15, 2003, 08:15 PM

What a piece of ****!

If they are going after Apple that sad excuse for machinery won't cut it. LOL ROFL

urrl5201
Jul 15, 2003, 09:59 PM

After buying one I took it out into the public and was arrested, then thrown in jail. It seems a customer sitting next to me in a local starbucks laughed himself to death after taking just one look at the thing. Other similar incidents across the continental United States created an immediate nationwide ban. These laptops now have a warning label. Symptoms begin with hours of uncontrollable, unstoppable laughter resulting in severe belly ache, cramps of the abdomen, then convulsions, a stomach rupture and subsequent death. If you should see one of these laptops and even so much as feel a smile comming across your face TURN AWAY QUICKLY and consult your doctor immediately. Do not ignore the symtoms. Smack yourself HARD in the face until help arrives. Ice cold water also helps, especially when poured down the back of the victim. Other temporary remedies include having someone kick you very hard in the crotch or biting your own tongue repeatedly. Remember; there is hope for T.M.L.S. (Toshiba Medusa Laughing Syndrome) providing help arrives in time.
( Last edited by urrl5201; Jul 15, 2003 at 10:16 PM. )

todrain
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 11:10 PM

Too big... i hated the 6.8lbs of the original iBook.

While the 17" Powerbook isn't too bad, the Toshiba reminds me of the Mac "Portable"

geekwagon
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 01:29 AM

I actually played with one of these for a few minutes at my local CompUSA. I own a 17" Powerbook and have owned several desktop-replacement (read: huge) notebooks, like the Inspiron 8500, but this thing was just way too big and heavy. Not to mention thick, one of the things that makes the 17" livable is that it is so thin. Not so with this beast.

Aesthetically, I actually kinda liked the glossy black trim around the screen. It looks kinda like the finish on Sony's "entertainment displays" or NEC's new TFT displays. Unfortunately, it follows the recent trend of Intel based laptops of having dozens of lights all over it, all flashing at different times in different colors. I freaking hate that. I mean, blinkenlights are cool and all, but having 4 different colors of LEDs all over the thing just looks awful, IMO. The xServe is an example of good blinkenlights. Those new Compaq laptops are an example of very BAD blinkenlights.

Disko_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 12:23 AM

You think the toshiba's is bad... wait till you see the Acer.

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as1700.htm
It's about 5cm thick. (2 inches) The screen is about as thick as a 17" powerbook's body! And it's crap.

Nawoo
Jul 18, 2003, 12:43 AM

I don't know whether to or to . Just looking at those huge bricks makes me feel sorry for those who actually buy them

Lebensm�de
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
Just looking at those huge bricks makes me feel sorry for those who actually buy them
Slab, I believe, would be the more appropriate term...

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 04:51 AM

If you're going to buy that Acer you may as well buy a television with WebTV if you want to get on the internet. Same difference.

H-U-G-E.

Forum Links
Forum Rules