Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Falling down around my ears...

OS X Falling down around my ears...
superblue
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 10:11 AM

First Mail started unexpectedly quitting on launch, tonight I try to watch a DVD only to find DVD player does the same, and now I find Software Update's getting in on the game too.

I've run Jaguar Cache Cleaner, used Pacifist to reinstall Mail and DVD plyer, repaired permissions and offered a sacrifice to the spinning beachball... all to no avail...

I know it looks like a clean install is on the cards, but with only a short time till Panther, I'm loathed to do it. Any suggestions before I give in?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2003, 10:15 AM

DoctorW
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 10:15 AM

Try a different user account on the same machine first and see what happens there.

superblue  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by DoctorW:
Try a different user account on the same machine first and see what happens there.
Ah yes, forgot to mention that - done it and problems remain.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:42 AM

Tried just doing the 10.2.6 Combo update?
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

techtrucker
Senior User
Jul 23, 2003, 12:41 PM

Boot in single user mode and do a fsck? Repair permissions?
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by superblue:
First Mail started unexpectedly quitting on launch, tonight I try to watch a DVD only to find DVD player does the same, and now I find Software Update's getting in on the game too.

I've run Jaguar Cache Cleaner, used Pacifist to reinstall Mail and DVD plyer, repaired permissions and offered a sacrifice to the spinning beachball... all to no avail...

I know it looks like a clean install is on the cards, but with only a short time till Panther, I'm loathed to do it. Any suggestions before I give in?
I had a miliar problem three weeks ago and found a bad memory module. No problems since. Had me worried though

superblue  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 09:36 PM

Well I've booted from the 10.2 CD, repaired disk and repaired permissions with no effect.

Interestingly enough there are quite a few users over in Apple's discussions with recent experiences of apps quitting with no fixes - perhaps since the 10.2.6 update...

Is starting to look like Disk Warrior or reinstall *sigh*

superblue  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Tried just doing the 10.2.6 Combo update?
It's already on 10.2.6. Once panther's up and running with no problems, I'm just going to avoid these 10.x.x updates - they seem more bother than they're worth. It's always that 'performance enhancements' line that gets me - but I think when it comes to 10.3 I'll accept that it just isn't going to get any faster and save myself the headaches.

Terri
Senior User
Jul 23, 2003, 09:46 PM

I keep a virgin install on a firewire drive just for this. In ever case so far booting from the firewire drive and having Carbon Copy Cloner replace the system and the root library has fixed all problems.

This takes about 15 minutes versus and whole lot more time doing a archive and install.

I have learned to keep a copy of a few things that a few programs put in the root library folder, like the stuff that Photoshop puts in there. This way I don't have to reinstall any programs with the exception of Quark 6, I hate Quark.

Not sure what is going on but it has something to do with one of these folders. Replacing just one seems to leave me with a machine that will not boot. Replacing both works great and the machine boots right up with all the settings still in place.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 09:48 PM

Try renaming the /Library directory (eg to /Librar.bak), log out and log back in and see if that helps. A new /Library directory will be created automatically.

If it doesn't help, you can delete the new /Library directory and rename to old one back to /Library.

I'd then try an archive install (so you don't lose all your user and networking settings).

superblue  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Terri:
I keep a virgin install on a firewire drive just for this. In ever case so far booting from the firewire drive and having Carbon Copy Cloner replace the system and the root library has fixed all problems.
That's a good idea - I'll keep that in mind in the future. What's Carbon Copy Cloner though? never heard of it (though I can pretty much guess what it does).

Terri
Senior User
Jul 24, 2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by superblue:
What's Carbon Copy Cloner though? never heard of it (though I can pretty much guess what it does).
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules