Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Update on the Star Wars kid

Update on the Star Wars kid
starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 08:20 AM

I dunno, but sometimes you have to laugh it off.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 08:30 AM

"Raza ended up leaving high school and finishing his year in the psychiatric wing of a local hospital."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
"Raza ended up leaving high school and finishing his year in the psychiatric wing of a local hospital."
Not nice. Poor guy.

I don't think it is worth a lawsuit though. It was a prank that spiralled out of control, not an attempt to cause intentional hurt.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Not nice. Poor guy.

I don't think it is worth a lawsuit though. It was a prank that spiralled out of control, not an attempt to cause intentional hurt.
I feel for the kid - I always have. And I want him to win his lawsuit. Anybody who's ever been ridiculed to the extent that they seriously consider leaving their high school rather show up another day deserves revenge. At least he didn't go all Columbine.

If they put him in the movie, he could play a young x-wing cadet named "Porkins"... and you'd even get continuity!
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

benb
Jul 23, 2003, 09:26 AM

The lawsuit better not go anywhere. $250,000 seems a bit excessive.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
If they put him in the movie, he could play a young x-wing cadet named "Porkins"... and you'd even get continuity!
The resemblance is truly uncanny

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 09:52 AM

Stupid kid. If one doesn't want something leaked to the Internet, don't video it in the first place.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 10:04 AM

Yepper. Don't put a video where others can get it. Just ask Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson...wait, don't
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Stupid kid. If one doesn't want something leaked to the Internet, don't video it in the first place.
Blame the victim. Excellent plan.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 10:28 AM

Well, of course, doing something goofy at the age of 15 can be put into the "isolated incident" category... right?

Some of you are really blaming the kid. Really. And what is the justification of that? Not sure I see the logic. Help me understand.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Some of you are really blaming the kid. Really. And what is the justification of that? Not sure I see the logic. Help me understand.
I blame the kid for the lawsuit, which is just stupid. So what if there is a short video of you doing something stupid on the internet? Live with it and go on, don't go around suing everyone. What kind of precedent would this set? Would it be against the law to show potentially embarrassing footage or pictures to people?

-matt
( Last edited by ratlater; Jul 23, 2003 at 10:43 AM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 10:52 AM

Precedent has already been set... thousands of times over.

Then there's this: ever been bullied? I'm not talking about being picked on. I'm talking about being bullied.

I'm torn. I'm not big on lawsuits, but, you know, schools don't stop bullies. God knows parents of bullies don't give a sh!t (I found this to be true 100% of the time when I dealt with parents of bullies when I was a teacher). Society has this delicious little "ah, what's a little picking on? Makes them stronger or sends them to the bottom where they belong" attitude. The law seems to care only when it results in some serious ass tragedy, and half the time not then... so. What's next?
( Last edited by maxelson; Jul 23, 2003 at 11:05 AM. )

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Blame the victim. Excellent plan.
If you don't want anyone to steal something from you, don't buy anything nice.

I would sue them also.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 10:58 AM

The lawsuit is a stupid idea. I can sympathize with Raza, as someone who was also persecuted mercilessly in high school. The kids who posted this to the Internet should be expelled (the video was apparently for a school project, so this is school-related, and thus the school should have jurisdiction). Then again, I'm in favor of a zero-tolerance policy toward bullying anyway, and have been since long before Columbine.

However, a $250,000 lawsuit is ridiculous. Raza is not entirely blameless in this, after all. He did make a video doing something he wasn't very good at in a manner so outrageously pretentious as to be comical, and he stored it in a way that left it vulnerable to this sort of thing. Any reasonable person, particularly one targeted by bullies, could have anticipated this possibility and taken steps to prevent it; he does not seem to have done so.

I do not mean to belittle his plight. I know something of the pain that this boy went through, and while I appear to have had a slightly better grip on my sanity, it makes perfect sense to me how he could have, in fact, been driven into a psych ward. However, he had a role to play in this, and he should accept what responsibility he has.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 11:18 AM

The video was NOT the other kids property and they don't have the rights to distribute the material.

The amount is so high just so they can settle out of court for $8000 or so.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
However, a $250,000 lawsuit is ridiculous. Raza is not entirely blameless in this, after all. He did make a video doing something he wasn't very good at in a manner so outrageously pretentious as to be comical, and he stored it in a way that left it vulnerable to this sort of thing. Any reasonable person, particularly one targeted by bullies, could have anticipated this possibility and taken steps to prevent it; he does not seem to have done so.
That's what I see, too. If you left the tape in the camera... oops. Have a good laugh at it.

If I were him, after seriously thinking about it (it would be pretty darn embarrassing to have this broadcast all over the internet), I would soak it for all it's worth. The fact that he's not taking it in good humor, not laughing at himself, encourages the original posters (and the internet in general) all the more. It's like ignoring the bully in school - if you keep ignoring him, he'll get bored and stop picking on you.

If this kid could think about it in a different light, he could get to be on Leno, Letterman, whatever. He could go on, talk about his plans for after high school, or even some group she's interested in... if he was into the Boy Scouts, for instance, the Boy Scouts would be horribly happy to have him be a spokesperson for them for a little while. All publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right.

However, this kid could not think about it in a different light, and that's what makes it sad. Hopefully he gets out of the hospital soon, that he's getting good help and that someone can show him the humor in the situation.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
The video was NOT the other kids property and they don't have the rights to distribute the material.
I do not like bullying at all - I'm very serious about that, not at all.

However, the video was NOT not the other kids property. It was more than likely the school's property. I don't think a distribution case like this has much legal standing... but I'd have to be a lawyer to know more about it.

The kid needs to laugh at this, as difficult as it may be to do. That's the only way he'll be able to get over it; more than likely, he needs to simply sit down with the people who made the tape and try to have a conversation with them. They have to be feeling a bit embarrassed that the tape got as popular as it did, too - I'm sure they never intended to send someone to the psychiatric ward.

(someone who was picked on a lot in high school, or who is still currently being picked on, will not think that last sentence is very true... but it probably is. everyone has a bit of human decency in them... at least, that's what we must think)

The kid needs to work out his feelings... I don't know if $250,000, or even $8,000, will help that much.

Michael_Jackson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 11:51 AM

I suppose that as a former class-clown, I can only feel envious for this kid. do you know how delighted I would be I if I had the power to make millions of people laugh like that? I'd carry a plastic light-saber around school with me and randomly bust out my moves during class...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
It's like ignoring the bully in school - if you keep ignoring him, he'll get bored and stop picking on you.
Ah, that old myth. If only it were true, a lot of kids' lives would be a lot easier.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
The kid needs to work out his feelings... I don't know if $250,000, or even $8,000, will help that much.
Going for a lawsuit is a very American thing, no?

If that fails, take them all on the Jerry Springer Show.

-s*

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 12:31 PM

To pick on someone in that manner - to persecute - is something considered completely out of class and immature. Unfortunately for the kid, emotional dignity cannot be built back up.
It sticks forever. I really cannot think of a pumishment, though. Money really doesn't mean anything here, and there's nothing that can be done to rebuild what he has lost.

Those kids must die.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

DBursey
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Going for a lawsuit is a very American thing, no?
Ghyslain is Canadian.

Yeah, okay ... the kid should just take the bullying and public humiliation in a spirit of good humour as intended by his well-intentioned, misunderstood tormentors ... just as the Columbine kids took theirs.

As we all know, lonely 15 year-olds are emotionally quite well-equipped to casually dismiss such public humiliation.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 01:29 PM

Ah, that old myth. If only it were true, a lot of kids' lives would be a lot easier.
It may have been a myth in your case, but not in mine.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2003, 01:30 PM

I'd sue the bastards that put the video on the internet as well. Maybe Lucas will show him some symphathy..
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 02:27 PM

even if he wins, the $250,000 figure is likely to drop exponentially.

i just watched the video, the kid looks angry, like he's blowing off a lot of steam, and good for him--instead of something like columbine. it's not the best choreographed piece of work, but doubtful most could do exponentially better. this kid really helped elevate the ridicule himself, though. if he had held his head up high and thought, 'cool, people took the time to add special effects to this lame fight thing i taped' it might not have snowballed like it did (psychiatric ward?). kids can pick on other kids easily enough, but kids have the potential to turn that harassment around pretty easily by not indulging it.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 02:33 PM

this kids seems to have a good enough attitude in this interview here:

http://www.jish.nu/2003_05_01_archive.php#200287473

EDIT: Ah, so he pursued legal action after people gave him nice things like an iPod and $4000 of other stuff... seriously guys, even if people are laughing at him, he got his 15 minutes of fame and a lot of cool stuff, a lot of people will never get their 15 minutes.
( Last edited by Stradlater; Jul 23, 2003 at 02:47 PM. )

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
this kids seems to have a good enough attitude in this interview here:

http://www.jish.nu/2003_05_01_archive.php#200287473
He wants the PC version of the iPod?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

ambush
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 02:50 PM

**** the bastards who uploaded this **** on the net.

Poor guy. The video is nice, I mean he put a lot of efforts in it.

ambush
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
He wants the PC version of the iPod?
Oh lemme guess why. [Thinks for 30 minutes]

Oh. Maybe it's because he has a PC at home? Just maybe.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
**** the bastards who uploaded this **** on the net.

Poor guy. The video is nice, I mean he put a lot of efforts in it.
i do think he's overreacting, there are a lot of sympathetic people out there. legal action is a little much, and seriously, how many of us will ever get our 15 minutes of fame? even if it may not be the type of fame we'd want, it's still more than most get. people were fundraising for him and buying him ipods and gift certificates... not bad, in my opinion.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 03:00 PM

Oh lemme guess why. [Thinks for 30 minutes]

Oh. Maybe it's because he has a PC at home? Just maybe.
Oh really, I was under the impression that THEY DON'T HAVE A PC ONLY VERSION OF THE IPOD ANYMORE DUMBASS!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by benb:
The lawsuit better not go anywhere. $250,000 seems a bit excessive.
Don't worry, it's only Canadian money.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

ambush
Banned
Jul 23, 2003, 03:13 PM

Oh really, I was under the impression that THEY DON'T HAVE A PC ONLY VERSION OF THE IPOD ANYMORE DUMBASS!
Yeah well it's more like the interviewer's a dumbass.

Maybe he just meant the new ipods.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Don't worry, it's only Canadian money.
That was funny once but things have changed of late.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 03:19 PM

That was funny once but things have changed of late.
Maybe so, I just have trouble taking currency referred to as "loonies" seriously.

(Said in good fun!)

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Maybe so, I just have trouble taking currency referred to as "loonies" seriously.

(Said in good fun!)
Hey beats being the only country in the world that still has all the bills in the same colour!

From $1 to $100 they all look the same!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 03:33 PM

Hey beats being the only country in the world that still has all the bills in the same colour!

Actually, that's changing; the backgrounds of the $20 on up are undergoing a redesign.

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the idea of that, though. They aren't changing the ink colors, only the paper color, so I'm wondering how -or even if- they intend to keep the money looking dignified, or at least not tacky.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 03:36 PM

Hey, it's COLOR dammit! You and your excessive U's.

Technically, an American bill is two color - black ink on one side, green on the other. Hence the term Greenback.

This little history lesson brought to you by the letter D and the number 15.

P.S. We do use multi-colored money in the United States. It's for a game called Monopoly. Very famous.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
To pick on someone in that manner - to persecute - is something considered completely out of class and immature. Unfortunately for the kid, emotional dignity cannot be built back up.
It sticks forever. I really cannot think of a pumishment, though. Money really doesn't mean anything here, and there's nothing that can be done to rebuild what he has lost.

Those kids must die.
Die? Even as someone who suffered similar hardships myself, I have to call that excessive.

However, a school year or two in a military school (or something along those lines) might change a few tunes. That's more what I'd like to see happen to bullies. Let those who get off on power get a firsthand taste of what it means to have none.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 03:48 PM

Agreed, lawsuits don't help anyone. Any sympathy I had for the guy is completely negated by him pursuing it in this manner. The "hey this guy's cool" is now just "what a loser".

If he'd really got his head screwed on, he'd be starting a career as a comic (Belushi, Farley, etc.).
I suspect his parents are pushing him for the lawsuit though, as they probably want a nice new house/car.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 04:03 PM

*cough*

WHO WOULDNT sue someone if they had the chance?!?!

I know I would. The world runs on money, and if you're short on it, you'll do anything for it Last I heard the kid was taking it well. But of course after taking 2 minutes to think, one comes to the conclusion: "hey can I sue someone over this?"

Chris

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 04:04 PM

Yeah well it's more like the interviewer's a dumbass.

Maybe he just meant the new ipods.
First, I'm the dumbass, now the interviewer is the dumbass.

Never would have pegged you ask French Canadian

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 04:18 PM

Lucas should put the kid in the next star wars as an extra

that would be cool

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

Is psychiatric treatment free in Canada?

If not, the family might have a pretty hefty bill. How much is Zoloft in Canada?

The lawsuit is also punitive. Have the bastards who uploaded this private video been punished by the school or courts?

The kid was humiliated to a degree few can claim to understand. It wasn't just at his school, but around the world. This kid probably feels like the whole world is laughing at him. I doubt many of you have experienced antying remotely similar.

Yeah, money won't make it all go away, but it sure as hell might make it easier. $250,000 doesn't sound outlandish to me. Hell, that might just cover the court costs. Maybe its enough money so he can attend school elsewhere. Maybe enough money so he can go to fat camp and learn to use a sword.

Its not like one of those $10 million frivilous lawsuits you read about. This just doesn't seem that outlandish to me.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Is psychiatric treatment free in Canada?

If not, the family might have a pretty hefty bill. How much is Zoloft in Canada?
yes it can be free.

Zoloft is like $100 a month, I know some people on it.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Maybe Lucas will show him some symphathy..

Most of us at ILM have seen it, and feel for him, I certainly do after getting tormented by others at school.

You never know, we might immortalise him on film.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Papa Jupe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 05:22 PM

That link isn't working for me.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by bamburg dunes:
You never know, we might immortalise him on film.
Darth Porkins with a double ended drumbstick?

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2003, 05:37 PM

Darth Porkins with a double ended drumbstick?
Don't say that, I might end up having to do the funky with his scene, lol, the irony.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Papa Jupe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2003, 05:38 PM

Well, he's getting $3,254.09 from these guys, in the form of an iPod and the remainder on a Future Shop gift card.

I'll make a video like that for 3 grand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules