Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook MacSkinz

iBook MacSkinz
macskinz
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2003, 09:35 PM

Hello All,
I'm the creator of Macskinz and would like feedback about our product. We just released skinz for the 12" iBook and I'm curious what designs you would like us to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, we will be releasing new skinz in woodgrains, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber and possibly chrome if there is a demand. We will be able to custom print Skinz very soon too.

thanks,
Doug
www.Macskinz.com

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by macskinz:
Hello All,
I'm the creator of Macskinz and would like feedback about our product. We just released skinz for the 12" iBook and I'm curious what designs you would like us to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, we will be releasing new skinz in woodgrains, brushed aluminum, carbon fiber and possibly chrome if there is a demand. We will be able to custom print Skinz very soon too.

thanks,
Doug
www.Macskinz.com
How about glow in the dark?

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2003, 11:11 PM

ive been waitin and waitin for your macskinz for my ibook
but while ive been waiting i came up with this idea for how i want my ibook to look
industrial
i got the idea when i got some plastic for my apple logo on the lid, and i got it crumpled a bit
so the glow makes it look kinda rusty now, and i thought, hell havin my ibook look like and industrial, rusty, metal
kinda how the fallout box was
it could be like the chome or brushed aluminum look, but with little rust stains, like if the metal was weathered and rusted a bit

i was wondering too, with the skinz, does where the logo is, does it glow, or is it completly opaque?
w3rd..
surrey represent

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by smic:
ive been waitin and waitin for your macskinz for my ibook
but while ive been waiting i came up with this idea for how i want my ibook to look
industrial
i got the idea when i got some plastic for my apple logo on the lid, and i got it crumpled a bit
so the glow makes it look kinda rusty now, and i thought, hell havin my ibook look like and industrial, rusty, metal
kinda how the fallout box was
it could be like the chome or brushed aluminum look, but with little rust stains, like if the metal was weathered and rusted a bit

i was wondering too, with the skinz, does where the logo is, does it glow, or is it completly opaque?
Industrial was our original intention for our now defunct "airplane skin" design. Now that we have better processes for applying the image, I was thinking of bringing it back with more of a photorealistic industrial look. I also like the idea of "glow-in-the-dark" but would have to source the plastic.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2003, 05:53 PM

Wow cool!

How much do you guys charge to ship to Singapore?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

BadBen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 07:25 PM

How a MacNN forum reader discount coupon?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 08:44 AM

How about a skin that makes it look similar to the 12" Al Powerbook?

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
Wow cool!

How much do you guys charge to ship to Singapore?
We haven't shipped an iBook Skin (you'd be the only one n your country) to Singapore yet but your shipping should be no more than $10

Thanks,
Doug
MacSkinz

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
How about a skin that makes it look similar to the 12" Al Powerbook?
thats a funny idea. We could even make them look like a Dell or Gateway or something for those Mac users who work in PC environments.

Thanks,
Doug
MacSkinz

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by BadBen:
How a MacNN forum reader discount coupon?
We'll provide a discount code to plug in when placing an order as soon as I finish imlplementing it.

Thanks,
Doug
MacSkinz

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 12:55 PM

thats a funny idea. We could even make them look like a Dell or Gateway or something for those Mac users who work in PC environments.
That's crazy talk.

Anyone who would purchase such a skin should be blacklisted and have their iBook revoked by Jonathan Ive himeself.

Particle_Man
Jun 24, 2003, 03:38 PM

I'd like to see a glow in the dark skin as well. Something more industrial would also be cool.

I like the US Flag design as well as most of the flame ones. Both the Radioactive and Biohazard symbols are well done but I'd like to see the Biohazard available with a black background. Overall they look really good. The inclusion of the clear screens makes almost any design possible which is really great.

Are they easy to remove? If removed can they be stored for reuse?
Check out my Website

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 04:16 PM

Your MacSkins look good. As soon as I have $30 to spend I think I will get one. Wish list: green skin, preferrably bright green. Actually you should make skins with the fruity iMac colors! Now that would be cool!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

klinux
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 06:04 PM

Looks good. I would be interested in either a window one (white/clear) or a metal one. Looking forward to the new product (and discount code)!

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 03:12 PM

I want that big, honkin' skull...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 04:35 PM

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Doug: I loved your G4 skinz, and since I'm an iBook user, I love the iBook skinz even more. Personally, I like the Graphite in transparent resin composite look.

My only complaint is that the Apple logo should remain visible. I refuse to get anything for my iBook that will hide the Apple logo.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 06:20 PM

These look great Doug, seem like a great way to protect the scratch-prone case of the iBook.

Quick question for you - have these been out very long? I'm just wondering about long term useage. What I'm picturing in my mind is the sandpaper effect - similar to a car bra. They're great for protection, but can "dull" your paint finish over time, due to the entire thing moving ever so slightly. Do these fit in place so snugly that they won't move around at all while in a pack, etc?

I love that radiation design. Might have to snap one up.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Particle_Man:
I'd like to see a glow in the dark skin as well. Something more industrial would also be cool.

I like the US Flag design as well as most of the flame ones. Both the Radioactive and Biohazard symbols are well done but I'd like to see the Biohazard available with a black background. Overall they look really good. The inclusion of the clear screens makes almost any design possible which is really great.

Are they easy to remove? If removed can they be stored for reuse?
Thanks for the compliments.

All you have to do is pull up at the corners with a little pressure and the Skinz come off. They could be stored with no problem.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Sosa:
Your MacSkins look good. As soon as I have $30 to spend I think I will get one. Wish list: green skin, preferrably bright green. Actually you should make skins with the fruity iMac colors! Now that would be cool!
Fruit is good. As long as we don't do anything related to an apple. The big dogs would frown on that.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Doug: I loved your G4 skinz, and since I'm an iBook user, I love the iBook skinz even more. Personally, I like the Graphite in transparent resin composite look.

My only complaint is that the Apple logo should remain visible. I refuse to get anything for my iBook that will hide the Apple logo.

Escher
we have had so much response about showing the apple logo that we are creating some designs with the Apple logo visible today. They should be available pretty soon. As for the "Graphite in transparent resin composite look", do you mean that smokey spage-age 70s look?

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by murbot:
These look great Doug, seem like a great way to protect the scratch-prone case of the iBook.

Quick question for you - have these been out very long? I'm just wondering about long term useage. What I'm picturing in my mind is the sandpaper effect - similar to a car bra. They're great for protection, but can "dull" your paint finish over time, due to the entire thing moving ever so slightly. Do these fit in place so snugly that they won't move around at all while in a pack, etc?

I love that radiation design. Might have to snap one up.
Our skinz are made from a plastic that is as thick as a credit card and when attached to the computer, don't shift around at all. I've had a Skin on my iBook for around 6 months and have no scuffing.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

tikki
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 02:17 PM

I want my Apple logo showing, and I'd consider getting one. A lot of them seem kinda tacky though. i like the subtle look of the iBook, but if I could find a skin that would keep that, I'd be pleased.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

strokemouth
Jun 27, 2003, 12:34 AM

I'm very excited to see these for the 14" models. If I could get the white cover with the skulls and bones with the apple still showing through...oh man, you'd have my money so quick.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 01:05 PM

we have had so much response about showing the apple logo that we are creating some designs with the Apple logo visible today. They should be available pretty soon.
Doug: I'm psyched that you're creating designs where the Apple logo will show through. It's really a shame that Apple makes such a fuss about use of its logo on accessories that work only with its products. But I guess it's their right. Are you simply going to use a cutout in the iBook skinz? If so, I hope you make it negative-Apple-shaped.

As for the "Graphite in transparent resin composite look", do you mean that smokey spage-age 70s look?
As for the graphite composite look, I mean a look like the shoe insert below, where you can see the graphite mesh under the clear resin. I seem to remember that you had a G4 panel like this.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Doug: I'm psyched that you're creating designs where the Apple logo will show through. It's really a shame that Apple makes such a fuss about use of its logo on accessories that work only with its products. But I guess it's their right. Are you simply going to use a cutout in the iBook skinz? If so, I hope you make it negative-Apple-shaped.

As for the graphite composite look, I mean a look like the shoe insert below, where you can see the graphite mesh under the clear resin. I seem to remember that you had a G4 panel like this.

Escher
Ou G4 Skin was ismilar but not transparent at all. None of the Skinz in the future will be transparent graphite either due to the manufacturing process. Also, we could not create a negative Apple logo window because after all it would still be an Apple logo on our product (just bigger).

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 10:17 PM

wow. i love it. i was wondering if you guys are willing to do customized skinz. im not talking about getting the clear window one. i mean lets say i present you with a design that i like. are u guys willing to make a skinz with the design i showed u?

keep up the good work & best of luck.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by RMXO:
wow. i love it. i was wondering if you guys are willing to do customized skinz. im not talking about getting the clear window one. i mean lets say i present you with a design that i like. are u guys willing to make a skinz with the design i showed u?

keep up the good work & best of luck.....
Thanks, we have just nailed down a process where customers can send us an image(digital) for us to print on the Skin. The image is printed full-bleed, stochastic, and is 7 color for a large gamut. No spot colors though.

We'll let those on our mailing list know when this is available.

Thanks again,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

map26au
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 03:23 PM

hey i like the idea of your macskinz, but none of the styles that you currently have suit my tastes (not that they aren't any good). Just a few suggestions, i agree with what people say about hiding the apple logo, please try not to cover it up at least on a few of of the skinz also heres a link on an iBook mod whuch looks extrodinary.

www.jobic.com/ibook.html

personally i'd like something like that, you can never go wrong with curves like that.

Great work by the way

map

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by map26au:
hey i like the idea of your macskinz, but none of the styles that you currently have suit my tastes (not that they aren't any good). Just a few suggestions, i agree with what people say about hiding the apple logo, please try not to cover it up at least on a few of of the skinz also heres a link on an iBook mod whuch looks extrodinary.

www.jobic.com/ibook.html

personally i'd like something like that, you can never go wrong with curves like that.

Great work by the way

map
What I've noticed is that as soon as we do curves I will hear complaints about them not being straight. Our custom Skinz should please most people that are graphically inclined.

Thanks,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2003, 04:51 PM

Hello all,
As a thanks for all the good feedback about our product, MacSkinz is offering a 20% discount on iBook Skinz to message board users. Just type "3a0073b6f35ca494" in the sale code field when purchasing. This special will last for 30 days.

Thanks again,
Doug
www.macskinz.com

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 02:19 PM

We haven't shipped an iBook Skin (you'd be the only one n your country) to Singapore yet but your shipping should be no more than $10

Thanks,
Doug
MacSkinz
Okay, thanks for the information
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

tafticus
Jul 9, 2003, 08:07 PM

I would definitely buy a Pirate skinz for my iBook...skull and crossbones or something? Yarr.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 11:51 AM

Definitely one of the cooler products for the Mac I've seen in a while.

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2003, 05:10 PM

Are you planning on releasing G5 plates...? It die for one of those cool Toxic symbols, when I get my rev B or C Powermac G5..

Dark green background, and neon colored light green for the symbol..

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by tafticus:
I would definitely buy a Pirate skinz for my iBook...skull and crossbones or something? Yarr.
Pirate Skinz sound like a good idea to me.

Doug
www.macskinz.com

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
Are you planning on releasing G5 plates...? It die for one of those cool Toxic symbols, when I get my rev B or C Powermac G5..

Dark green background, and neon colored light green for the symbol..
we have already lined up a G5 as soon as they are shipped for a product we have in mind. I need to get my hands on it to make sure it will work though.

Doug
www.macskinz.com

castle3
Jul 25, 2003, 01:49 PM

doug, i love your skinz! what if you made a binary code skin for us geeks out there? also what about creating professional covers that companies could use to identify themselves yet express themselves as well. as far as a professional looking design, i guess that would be up to the company, why dont you offer some "sample" looking designs. once again great job! looking forward to seeing new designs!
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

macskinz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by castle3:
doug, i love your skinz! what if you made a binary code skin for us geeks out there? also what about creating professional covers that companies could use to identify themselves yet express themselves as well. as far as a professional looking design, i guess that would be up to the company, why dont you offer some "sample" looking designs. once again great job! looking forward to seeing new designs!
Thanks,
I was thinking about that awhile back. There could be some mac-centric message buried in the code. I also thought the Visibone color chart would be cool for web developers out there.

Our custom Skinz should be perfect for companies to "express themselves".

Doug]
www.macskinz.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules