Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone using 900 mhz Pismo upgrade?

Anyone using 900 mhz Pismo upgrade?
rjt1000
Senior User
Jul 30, 2003, 03:57 PM

Hi fellow Pismo devot�es,

I have a Pismo 500 mhz G3 with 768 RAM and OEM 20 gig hard drive.

OS 9.2.2 flies on this baby.

But OS X 10.2.6 is noticeably slower. What makes it really hard to deal with is the PAINFULLY slow window scrolling (e.g. in Safari).

I have been considering upgrading the processor with the Powerlogix G3 900 mhz .

Will this cure the scrolling issue, or is that more a function of the non-upgradeable VRAM? Would really appreciate responces from those who have already made the Powerlogix upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Rich (Pismo G3 500)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2003, 11:39 PM

It would be a bit faster, but not having Quartz compatible video and at least 16MB of VRAM is the largest stumbling block. I personally don't think it's worth the money to upgrade the CPU. Use the Pismo as a 9.2 machine and invest some $ in a new 12" PB or a TiBook (especially now that prices are so low).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

scadboy
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 12:17 AM

balderdash, I upgraded my pismo to the g4 500mhz and I'm more than happy with the investment. Granted, I was fairly pleased with the pismo's OS X performance prior to the G4 upgrade (400 G3, 1GB RAM, fast 30GB HD). It was worth every penny of the $300 and Powerlogix was more than helpful and responsive to my questions.

I can't vouch for the 900mhz G3, but the G4 upgrade is solid and well worth the effort.

ciao,

michael

Davidarm
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 01:16 AM

I put the 900 mhz upgrade in mine (formerly 400/768M/20G) and it noticeably speeded up everything, including scrolling in Finder and in Camino. I don't use Safari, so I can't comment there. Runs hotter, but not dangerously so - the fan still never comes on. Well worth the $349 in my opinion.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It would be a bit faster, but not having Quartz compatible video and at least 16MB of VRAM is the largest stumbling block. I personally don't think it's worth the money to upgrade the CPU. Use the Pismo as a 9.2 machine and invest some $ in a new 12" PB or a TiBook (especially now that prices are so low).
He could pay $350 for the G3 900 upgrade, and bring his Pismo to within 5-15% of the CPU performance of the 12" PowerBook. Why should he spend $1250 more than the G3 upgrade would cost on a new PowerBook just so that he can get a QuartzExtreme compatable GPU?

---

rjt1000: At $350, the PowerLogix upgrade is a no-brainer if you love your Pismo. It is an incredible price for the performance boost it will give you.

Also, window scrolling is more CPU dependant than it is GPU dependant. You will notice a difference in scrolling and window re-sizing. Plus, Panther (10.3) is a godsend for Rage 128 users. Minimizing, scrolling, resizing and dock magnification are as smoothe on my Pismo 400/Rage 128 as they were on my iBook 700/Radeon under Jagaur (10.2).

Combining the G3 900 upgrade and Panther will give you a new machine.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2003, 03:21 AM

I've a Pismo G3/500 with 320MB RAM and have been using Mac OS X since version 10.1.5.
OS X has only got faster with each release.

I find it hard to imagine people wanting to remain using OS 9 as OS X has saved me so much time and frustration, having done away with extension sets, conflicts etc..
I always had a stable PowerBook using OS 9, but when things did crash it always involved then having to figure out the reasons for it etc..

If I could afford to (currently poor and unemployed) I would go straight for the G3/900 upgrade. I've not been fortunate to try out 10.3 yet but look forward to further optimisation and of course being able to continue using OS X on my Pismo.

rjt1000  (op)
Senior User
Jul 31, 2003, 10:18 AM

Hi everyone:

Thanks for all of your replies, and keep them coming--would love to hear move opinions on the matter.

I still use OS9 primarily. I have been using Mac OS's for over 15 years (geez am I THAT old), and I know em like the back of my hand. I have been forcing myself to use and learn OSX-- its usable but not pleasant on my Pismo because of the slow scrolls, window resizing etc.

I guess I am still sitting on the fence on this issue. What I really want is a seond revision 15 inch Al-book, but we havent even gotten the initial release.

The choices:

1. 900 mhz G3 upgraded Pismo
Pros: inexpensive, OS9 bootable, will give my Pismo another year or so, dont have to sell my Pismo and deal with ebay hassles.
Cons: heat issues, a week w/o my computer, 8mb VRAM wont support Quartz extreme, puttting new money in "old" technology

2. 15 inch T--book
Pros: Good values, overall well regarded, now in last revision (many of the bugs have been worked out), boots in OS9
Cons: Fragile design, paint and hinge issues, airport reception issue, will loose value rapidly once Al-book is released

3. 15 inch Al book
Pros: Attractive rugged design (I travel with this to the third world), newest technology, will be "current" for longest time (I need this computer to last for 3 years)
Cons: It doesnt exist yet, first models of new powerbooks have been troublesome, no OS 9 bootability

4. 12 inch Al book
Pros: Attractive rugged design, will be relatively "current" for a long time, relatively powerful
Cons: Small screen (my eyes aint what they used to be), Heat issues, lack of level 3 cache, no OS 9 bootability, first models of new powerbooks have been troublesome

5. Keep sitting on the fence:
Pros: no further cost, 500 mhz Pismo in OS 9 is still fine, known reliable system, as time passes technology only gets better and cheaper, dont have to sell my Pismo and deal with ebay hassles.
Cons: no longing stares in Starbucks, cant do some of the CPU intensive work I'd like to try (crunching video etc), OSX pisses me off

So, what do you guyz (gals?) think?

Thanks for your input,

Rich

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 11:08 AM

Heres a link to a discussion on this from actual upgraders to the 900Mhz.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=160972
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules