Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless Printing Rocks!

Wireless Printing Rocks!
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 05:08 PM

I finally got my 2 Macs and 2 PC"s printing wirelessly to my HP Laserjet printer.
I've also got the PC's to print wirelessly to a Canon i950 Inkjet Printer.

I switched from my Airport base station to a Linksys router and wireless print servers, it just seemed so much easier to configure the Macs with the Linksys stuff than the PC's to the Airport.

The one kink is trying to get the Macs to print wirelessly to the Canon printer.
With the HP Laserjet, I just chose it from the list under IP Printing, put in the IP address and Queue # and was wirelessly printing.

But there is no list for Canon Printers under IP printing, and leaving it as a generic printer is not working.

Does anyone know how I can get my Canon i950 to show up in the list under IP Printing?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2003, 05:17 PM

Inkjet printers are notorious for not working with network print servers. Most like "bidirectional data" connections with a host computer, and often refuse to work at all without that kind of connection. I have a HP inkjet that is glacially slow when running through a print server, but works fine when connected via USB to a computer and shared that way.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2003, 05:31 PM

It works fine with my PC's, it's the Macs that are giving me a problem.
If only there was a way to get the Canon printers in the list under IP printing, I feel my problem would be solved.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2003, 09:04 PM

Have you tried Gimp-Print?

Davidarm
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2003, 08:15 PM

Are the Canon printer is connected to the network via Ethernet, or is it connected directly to the PC? If it's connected to the PC, it doesn't have an IP address. You'll need to make sure it's shared (which it probably is since the othe PC sees it), and then use aaanorton's suggestion of Gimp-Print to connect to it via Samba. Samba printing is tricky to set up, but Gimp-Print has instructions, and once it's set up it works great - I and my wife use it every day, at home and at work.

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2003, 10:25 PM

It's connected via ethernet.
I downloaded Gimp Print today, Canon printers finally showed in the IP Printers list.
Unfortunately there are no drivers for the i950 yet.I tried it with the closest printer to mine (S800), it did finally print wirelessly but the output was very poor.

Guess I'll just have to wait until Gimp Print comes out with drivers for the i950, or perhaps Panther will have updated drivers.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 11:09 AM

I'm pretty certain that Panther's solution for this problem is including Gimp-Print in its' install as default.
But if it's connected via ethernet, it should have an IP. Describe your hardware set-up a little more. Does your router list the printer as an attached device or in its' DHCP list?

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2003, 04:29 PM

It does have an IP. Before I downloaded Gimp Print I would enter the IP address, the queue # and choose Generic Printer from the list but that didn't work.

It was the generic printer choice that I guess was the problem.
Once I was actually able to enter a Canon printer from the list it did actually print.

I'm surprised that Gimp doesn't have any drivers available for any of the i series Canon printers.
The closest printer in the list is the S800 which is a printer that I had before getting the i950.

I hope they're working on some new drivers for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules