Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > password help

password help
mywhitenoise
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2003, 10:47 PM

okay so my dad set it up as accounts, and I just got into his, he's the administrator. He changed my password awhile ago and im trying to change it back. The only thing I can think of is if I press "set auto-login". You think that means whenever someone turns on the computer they get into my account? Or does that mean when somebody clicks on my name they can get in?

mywhitenoise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 09:30 PM

so can anyone help me out?

mywhitenoise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 11:07 PM

Anyone want to at least PM me the info?

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:19 PM

Auto-login means that when you start up it will automatically login as the specified user (ie, bypass the login screen). Anyone who turns on the computer is logged into the account.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2003, 03:11 AM

Do you know the new password and are just trying to figure out how to change it to something else? Or are you trying to change your password from an unknown to something you know?

If the first, you can do it from the "My Account" preference pane. Click the "Change password" button.

If the second, you'll have to ask your dad what it is so you can change it, or have him do it for you. Only someone with admin access can change passwords without knowing the original.

mywhitenoise  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 05:25 AM

thanks for the help! The thing is, I have no idea what either password is, but he leaves the computer on all night logged in as the administrator. So any help on how to change it under his account?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 05:41 AM

If your father here posts that he's fine with it, we will tell you how to change all the passwords on his computer.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Cipher13
Aug 5, 2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by mywhitenoise:
thanks for the help! The thing is, I have no idea what either password is, but he leaves the computer on all night logged in as the administrator. So any help on how to change it under his account?
That would make you an unauthorised user... no?

Forum Links
Forum Rules