Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Many CD Audio Players Have You Owned?

View Poll Results: How Many CD Audio Players Have You Owned?
Poll Options:
0 1 votes (2.04%)
1 4 votes (8.16%)
2 8 votes (16.33%)
3 4 votes (8.16%)
4-5 10 votes (20.41%)
6-7 4 votes (8.16%)
8-9 6 votes (12.24%)
10-12 5 votes (10.20%)
13-15 3 votes (6.12%)
16-19 3 votes (6.12%)
20-24 0 votes (0%)
25+ 1 votes (2.04%)
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll
How Many CD Audio Players Have You Owned?
schalliol
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 01:25 PM

To go along with the How Many CDs Do You Own? thread, how many CD Players have you owned?

This could mean a lot of things, so here's the deal:
  • CD-Audio Players
  • Excluding Computers where you use as CD-ROM players or recorders too
  • Can Include DVD-Video Players
  • Including DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD players
  • Including portable units
  • Including car units.
I realize that this may end up with few responses, but I'm a geek, I like my players, live with it.
( Last edited by schalliol; Aug 4, 2003 at 02:04 PM. )
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 01:39 PM

just 3...the sony i got way back in 85 or so, the portable i got in 93 (no longer used...ipod is way better of course!) and last year i got a dvd-audio player (the old sony finally kicked the bucket)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 01:45 PM

[list=1][*]Mid 80's Sony CD "Boom Box" (not super boomy just nice, with 1 tape deck)[*]Sony D-11 Discman[*]Sony D-35Discman (my most favorite piece of electronics I have ever owned, this was like late 80's and it had a rechargable battery, a battery expansion add on, a wireless remote, direct access track buttons (like num. keypad), music calendar function, A-B, all sorts of awesome programming, huge (2"x1"?) LCD, very thin)[*]Some random 5 disc Sony changer[*]Edit: I forgot my Sony D-335 Discman (Veru nice metal unit with optical out and wired remote, not many features though)[*]Sony D-848K Discman (Car unit with wireless/wired remote-goes in cradle) 10 second ESP auto open close and dual color backlighting)[*]Sony ES CDP-XA3ES Single Disc Player (awesome quality-at least I like it still)[*]Sony D-465 Discman (After the demise of my other car unit, this one added a really nice rechargable battery, optical out, metal design again, wonderful ESP -something happened to the 848K and this replaced it well)[*]Sony Mobie EX CDX-C910 Car Head Unit (I really am a fan of it still, copper chassis, ESP, DSP control, great quality that just doesn't stop, workes great with the AUX-RCA/USB adapter I use with the iPod)[*]Sony ES CDP-XA3ES Single Disc Player (awesome quality-at least I like it still)[*]Blau Houston (it was ok and worked ok as a replacement in an old 2-spkr Carolla we had[*]Aiwa Car Deck in an old Camry replacing the Carolla - works fine, cheap, aux input on front[*]Sony DVP-S360 DVD Player[*]Harmon Kardon CD Player that came in our Z3[/list=1]Well, I think that covers it until the Acura TSX comes in.
( Last edited by schalliol; Aug 4, 2003 at 07:59 PM. )
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 01:59 PM

� SONY Car CD Player
� Some Wal*Mart CD Player Boom Box
� and about 3 other no name brand CD Players

Mac Guru

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 02:02 PM

Please excuse James for not reading directions It looks like he's probably still in the range on the poll though even if the computers are removed.

He had an iBook and iMac up there (he removed them since my original post).

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 02:42 PM

I'm almost ashamed to think about it but I'm a hopeless gadget-head too:

1. Early Sony ES player (gave to friend)
2. Sony 5-CD carousel changer (ex took with her)
3. NAD player with compression circuit (nice feature for making car tapes - I still have it sitting around)
4. early Sony Discman
5. newer Sony Discman (stupid battery died and costs $40 to replace)
5. Sony desktop 3-CD/minidisc system
6. Sony 200-CD carousel (for sale)
7. early Denon DVD player (now fails to read discs)
8. Samsung DVD player
9. Teac player in recording studio, pawned by my stupid musician friend

Do minidiscs count? That would add two more devices.

yzeater
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 02:50 PM

One in my saab...
Two portable cd players...
Divx / DVD / CD player...
5 disc changer...
Boombox in my room...
CD Alarm clock...
One in the mercedes...
One in the Pilot...
That's all I believe

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:

1. Early Sony ES player (gave to friend)
3. NAD player with compression circuit (nice feature for making car tapes - I still have it sitting around)
6. Sony 200-CD carousel (for sale)
7. early Denon DVD player (now fails to read discs)

Do minidiscs count? That would add two more devices.
These sound like good units, can I be your friend too? You're welcome to send any ES units you no longer need You didn't like the 200-disc changer? I decided against getting one since I would want to transport the discs between cars and home, etc., though it's less of a problem with the iPod here, but I think now it might be nice to have one of the big DVD changers so all the discs just stay in there unless needed elsewhere.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by schalliol:
These sound like good units, can I be your friend too? You're welcome to send any ES units you no longer need You didn't like the 200-disc changer? I decided against getting one since I would want to transport the discs between cars and home, etc., though it's less of a problem with the iPod here, but I think now it might be nice to have one of the big DVD changers so all the discs just stay in there unless needed elsewhere.
I've found that changers don't really suit me. I don't like 3-10 disc changers because I tend to fill them and neglect them and end up listening to the same CDs over and over. I have a huge CD collection, and switching them around, dealing with the cartridges/carousels, keeping track of the booklets/jewel boxes, etc. is a nuisance. Much easier for me to keep them together and deal with just one CD at a time.

I thought the 200-CD changer would be a good solution - they provide albums that hold all of your CD booklets in order - but it didn't really work for me either. To find a particular CD you had to find the albums, then look through the albums, then dial up the CD number, then wait for the changer to cycle, etc. And if you ever removed a CD or booklet, it was easy to lose track of things. Again, much easier for me to deal with one CD at a time. Besides, I have a lot more than 200 CDs.

So now I have an iPod which renders the changers obsolete. I can see a changer being useful for DVDs but I still tend to prefer dealing with one disc at a time. It's easier for me to keep track of things, plus I get more enjoyment out of getting a disc out and looking at the documentation at the same time.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I still tend to prefer dealing with one disc at a time. It's easier for me to keep track of things, plus I get more enjoyment out of getting a disc out and looking at the documentation at the same time.
I hear you there. I really wish I had something like an iTunes interface for DVD/CD Changers. The units are good enough now that on the high end of a Sony ES or similar, I could be happy with the changer quality. It probably still wouldn't be as good as the single disc unit I use, but that would work for me. There is something similar, though not quite as good, from a Company called Escient that might do what you need if you want to go changer.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 01:08 PM

Me too, me too. I still own the first Sony Discman ever released in Europe. Still works, too. No error correction at all.

Otherwise, no idea. Does 'lots' count as an answer?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 02:30 PM

Sheesh, just in my home, offices, car right now I do a rough count of about 8 players/DVD players,etc. of some nature excluding CD-drives in computers.

Owned in my lifetime?

I think the first CD-Player I ever bought was around 1988- I'd guess I've owned 20+ or so since then- but mostly the cheap virtually disposable kind.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 03:43 PM

If memory serves (not counting ones in computers, cuz that's just silly)

1. A top loading 5 disc changer, made by, I think, Toshiba? You put the CD's in like a record player. I bought this becuase it was the onlt on at the time that you could change CD's while one was playing. As it had to sit on top, I bought a cool front loading turntable made by Sony. This was in '86-87.

2. Replaced cool but inconvinient top loader w/ single tray loader made by Onkyo.

3. Portable player by Optimus (Radio Shack).

4. Alpine CD changer for the car.

5. Better portable player made by RCA (skip protection!)

6. JVC CD head unit for car.

7. DVD player becomes CD player.

8. New CD player (stock) in new Honda.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 10:40 PM

Interesting topic, I've had so many, I can't remember them all here's a few that I can remember:

1985 bought a cheap no name cd player and 2 cds, I was so excitied I took a picture of it.

1987 moved up to a decent Onkyo single disc unit
1989 my first "high end player" Adcom single disc, sounded great, but skipped a lot
1990 Denon 1560 with a Theta DSPre Basic outboard converter
1994 Pioneer CLDD 702 LD player hooked to the Theta
1998 Adcom GCD-750 a sweet player, sold it for economic reasons
1999 Cheap Teac Player
2000 Cheap Pioneer DVD Player
2001 Technics DVD-A10 DVD Audio player, nice.. stil have it
2002 Sony SCD-C555ES 5 disc SACD changer.. current rig, sounds great.

had about 3 portable players in the past two Sonys and a Kenwood
had a few car players
Current car system Mazda 6 disc in dash changer with Mazda 100 watt sub
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

talisker
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 11:23 PM

I came fairly late to the CD party, having stuck with vinyl for a long time, so have only had:

Marantz something-or-other hifi CD player (fairly cheap but served me well)

Technics no-frills portable discman thingy

Rega Planet (2000 model) - my current home player, toploading with awesome sound, although an annoyingly picky little sod when it comes to less than perfectly clean CDs. Might well change it soon.

The standard one in my Honda CRV.

I must admit I'm tempted to connect up some sort of computer to my hifi so that I can import all my CDs, stick them away in a box, and have jukebox style action. However I'm amazed there isn't yet a practical, good quality device for this from a hifi manufacturer. Maybe its time is just about to come. Struck me that what would be great would be to be able to upload everything uncompressed (ie - AIFF files, rather than MP3). That way not only do you have the best sound quality, but it means that you always have easy access to the raw original files in case you want to convert to a compressed format for your iPod or whatever in the future. Obviously if you import all your CDs at say 256kbps MP3 then you're kind of stuck with that bitrate and algorithm whatever you might want to use them for in future, as converting them would sound like arse. Obviously you could reimport again from CD but frankly that's far too much bother. And anyway, if a CD is 750MB(ish) then 200 of them would take up 150GB, and as far as I know it's pretty easy to get that much storage.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 10:33 AM

6:

3 Sony Discman players
1 no-name portable player
1 Pioneer DVD player
1 Pioneer LaserDisc player

(though I accidentally voted 4-5 because I forgot the LD)

The first one was the D-2 Discman.
( Last edited by GoGoReggieXPowars; Jun 1, 2004 at 04:52 PM. )

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 10:48 AM

Easily over 25, I'd say.

EDIT: Just counted 27, but I KNOW I'm forgetting some.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Just counted 27, but I KNOW I'm forgetting some.
Dammit, that's why we can't have nice things!
Seriously, what the hell happened to them all?

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Just counted 27, but I KNOW I'm forgetting some.
Incredible! Are you as extreme about MacNN posting as many other things too? If you get a chance, I'd love to hear which one's you've had, as since CD's inception 27 is a lot to have purchased!

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2003, 04:30 PM

Probably around 20...lots of car units in that number....I switch between cars very often,and most of the times the cd-player is part of the deal...

I still have one of the first Philips players around,working in a very old set....maybe it's a collectors item by now.....
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Cipher13
Aug 6, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Dammit, that's why we can't have nice things!
Seriously, what the hell happened to them all?
Haha, well, most of them still work, actually

Originally posted by schalliol:
Incredible! Are you as extreme about MacNN posting as many other things too? If you get a chance, I'd love to hear which one's you've had, as since CD's inception 27 is a lot to have purchased!
Naw, MacNN is an exception

I can try to list some, I'm not sure how well I'll go though. Most of them are actually fairly recent; nothing really old-school, as I am only 19... included are a fair number of car players, as pete.z said - it's all part of the deal.

As for the others, well, the portables... they get beat around a fair bit. The first few were just cheap ones, when I wasn't as into music as I am now. Since they went south I got a Sony discman, and that thing was practically invincible... till it broke (fixable).

Other than that, I just have a fair number of them. Currently, my best system, is the Panasonic surround system.

The rest aren't anything special, really.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 03:54 PM

Back from the dead! This is just a fun list for me, whether you all want to reply or not... Here's an updated list for me:[list=1][*]Mid 80's Sony CD "Boom Box" (not super boomy just nice, with 1 tape deck)[*]Sony D-11 Discman[*]Sony D-35Discman (my most favorite piece of electronics I have ever owned, this was like late 80's and it had a rechargable battery, a battery expansion add on, a wireless remote, direct access track buttons (like num. keypad), music calendar function, A-B, all sorts of awesome programming, huge (2"x1"?) LCD, very thin)[*]Some random 5 disc Sony changer[*]Edit: I forgot my Sony D-335 Discman (Veru nice metal unit with optical out and wired remote, not many features though)[*]Sony D-848K Discman (Car unit with wireless/wired remote-goes in cradle) 10 second ESP auto open close and dual color backlighting)[*]Sony ES CDP-XA3ES Single Disc Player (awesome quality-at least I like it still)[*]Sony D-465 Discman (After the demise of my other car unit, this one added a really nice rechargable battery, optical out, metal design again, wonderful ESP -something happened to the 848K and this replaced it well)[*]Sony Mobie EX CDX-C910 Car Head Unit (I really am a fan of it still, copper chassis, ESP, DSP control, great quality that just doesn't stop, workes great with the AUX-RCA/USB adapter I use with the iPod)[*]Sony ES CDP-XA3ES Single Disc Player (awesome quality-at least I like it still)[*]Blau Houston (it was ok and worked ok as a replacement in an old 2-spkr Carolla we had[*]Aiwa Car Deck in an old Camry replacing the Carolla - works fine, cheap, aux input on front[*]Sony DVP-S360 DVD Player[*]Harmon Kardon CD Player that came in our Z3[*]CD Player that came in the PT Cruiser[*]Honda 6-Disc in dash CD Player that came in the Acura TSX[/list=1]Well, I think that covers it!

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 04:53 PM

I can't believe I mispelled "Pioneer" it's not like I don't have a tonne of their electronics...

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 10:06 PM

In my 20 years of owning CD players, I've only had 6, and three of those were discmen.

1. Until I started driving, I used my dad's hand-me-down 3/4 size simple black Hitachi from mid eighties. He's still got it around somewhere, I think. 1985-1992
2. Portable (I think it was Kenwood), black discman. Stolen from my car. 1990-1992
3. Another discman, same model or updated model of same type, to replace the above stolen player. 1992-1995
4. Yamaha 6 CD changer. Only had this for about a year before giving it to my sister when I moved to Hong Kong. 1994-1995
5. Gorgeous Denon brushed steel F1 series mini comp system. Still use it and love it. I think it must be the most beautiful system ever manufactured. No bevels. No grooves. Just flat steel front with round steel buttons. 1996-present
6. Tiny portable Sony silver discman. Latch broke and I gave it away. Would have replaced it but then I got my first iPod. 2000-2002

I won't count my old VCD player (don't have anymore) or DVD player (don't have anymore either), as I never used them to listen to CDs.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules