Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > This is what is new in Panther 7B28

This is what is new in Panther 7B28 (Page 3)
Zoro
Aug 8, 2003, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
WHOOOOP!

: jumps up and down :

: jumps some more :

I hatehatehatehateHATE the audio compression on my DVDs when I play them on the Mac.

Live concert DVDs are virtually unwatchable to me, and many movies' soundtracks ruined.

-s*
It seems that you can already do that in jaguar. The tip is from http://www.macbidouille.com

Set
DisplayDolbyLineMode
and
DolbyLineMode
to true in com.apple.dvdplayer.plist

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 10:34 AM

Actually, now 3rd-party PrefPanes can be removed via right-click, or Ctrl-click.

screenie:

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Actually, now 3rd-party PrefPanes can be removed via right-click, or Ctrl-click.

screenie:
Yep, that's in 7B21 as well....very handy.

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 12:00 PM

Now all they need to do is implement live updating in System Prefs (so you don't have to quit and launch it).

SYN
Senior User
Aug 8, 2003, 12:25 PM

it works for some extensions, like screen savers..
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
He obviously dislikes himself, to attack so many people in here.

Max asked him once, I don't think he ever got a answer.
You want an answer? You can get a DVD player that plays it 10x better then your Mac for $100.
Guess you really have no money so you can�t complain about audio comression.

And Zimph, you never answerd someone elses question of why the hell does it matter if you STEAL 10.3 betas even if you pay for the final. You are still stealing.

Obviously you are a hyprocrate and diskliek yourself to argue your butt off on every subject cuz you are always right.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You want an answer? You can get a DVD player that plays it 10x better then your Mac for $100.
Guess you really have no money so you can�t complain about audio comression.

And Zimph, you never answerd someone elses question of why the hell does it matter if you STEAL 10.3 betas even if you pay for the final. You are still stealing.

Obviously you are a hyprocrate and diskliek yourself to argue your butt off on every subject cuz you are always right.
Personally... if I'm buying an OS (say Panther), I'm PAYING MONEY for the user experience. I don't see any problem with wanting to test it out before it's ready for prime time, especially if you're PURCHASING the final version.

It's a grey area, but I hardly call it "stealing". I, for one, have downloaded (legally of course *cough*) several games to test out their performance on my Ti...

If they play well, I run out to the store and pay full retail price just like everyone else. If they don't, I delete them and never look back, having not wasted my $50 on a game that runs like ass due to a bad port or what have you.

In this case, someone just wants to get a sneak peak at Panther before everyone else. Might not be entirely "legal"... but that doesn't make them a thief (IF they are buying the final version mind you... if not then stealing it is).

I develop software at work (though nothing exciting... database conversion tools in *nix mostly, I'm a sysadmin not a full-blown developer by day)... IF for some reason someone wanted my software (it's only really useful to this office specifically) "early" before I was finished, but was a garaunteed sale afterwards I'd have no issue letting someone take a peak, as long as they accepted responsibility for anything bad that might happen as a result of running unfinished code.

I also think if Apple minded people hammering on the Panther beta so much, they'd go through some steps to make it more difficult to obtain Let's be real folks... anyone (even my mother) can get on BitTorrent or some such and snag a copy... even some MINIMAL protection (an serial or something... though most Mac users hate the idea, as do I) would indicate a desire on Apple's part to keep these as contained as possible. My personal take is that they like the publicity. If everyone goes around spouting off at the mouth how great Panther is... more people are likely to buy it on release. You can't BUY better advertising.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2003, 12:42 PM

Using the Apple calculator [Advanced] in Classic and Jag, an incorrect answer would be given to 1.6970-1.6937.

Has this been fixed? And does anyone understand what caused the problem in the first place?
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 12:48 PM

On the DVD player:

This is true... My panasonic progressive scan was like $85... granted I got my friend's 25% employee discount @ Worst Buy, AND it was on clearance... but still it's a KICK ASS player, and the quality is absolutely top notch for the price.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2003, 12:50 PM

Guess you really have no money so you can�t complain about audio comression
Hey, Zimphire had nothing to do with the DVD audio compression thing - that was me.

Remember?

Now: Even if I WERE prepared to spend $100 on an additional box (plus whatever it would take to buy a TV that's substantially larger than my computer monitor), which, as I've pointed out, I'm NOT, it STILL wouldn't integrate as nicely into my audio setup as the computer ALREADY IS.

So, no DVD player for $100 will be "10x better then [sic]" my Mac, for several reasons:

1. it doesn't come with a monitor.
2. it is an extra box.
3. it doesn't integrate as nicely into my existing audio setup.
4. it's 100 dollars, versus a box I ALREADY OWN (and be sure, when I buy Panther, it won't be for the DVD audio).
5. it won't rip, re-compress and burn DVDs

So, I realize that FOR YOU, it won't make much of a difference.

I'd appreciate it, though, if you'd just STFU long enough to realize that it might be an important feature to others, for reasons that are apparently beyond you.

Such is life.

Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to go back to jumping about the room.

-s*

hype
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 01:15 PM

-placing fonts in the library...one of the coolest things imho about 9 was that you could drop a font file into the system folder and it would be automatically placed in the correct spot. Has this been implemented yet? And what about emptying the trash...does it tell you how much space will be cleared up when the trash is emptied? Two small things that I loved about 9...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Jonesy:
Great! So you can look up yellow and white pages in the USA. After all this time in OS X I think Apple should get off their asses and provide some useful Sherlock channels to the rest of the world. They have promised Cinema listings, phone book and eBay for ages.

Forgive me if I don't get excited about another improvement I can't use because Apple UK / Europe are too lazy.
Apple doesn't provide these services. If they exist, request that their source (or Apple) write a channel to support them.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by hype:
-placing fonts in the library...one of the coolest things imho about 9 was that you could drop a font file into the system folder and it would be automatically placed in the correct spot. Has this been implemented yet? And what about emptying the trash...does it tell you how much space will be cleared up when the trash is emptied? Two small things that I loved about 9...
If i remember correctly, steve showed in the keynote that double clicking a font shows a preview of it, and there is a install button under the preview.

dunno bout the trash

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 02:13 PM

Can anyone confirm that Final Cut Pro 4 works 7B28?
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

jb8748
Aug 8, 2003, 05:25 PM

In Mail's General preferences pane there is a check box for 'Index decrypted messages for searching'.

Anyone know what that is for? Is it to do with File Vault or is support for PGP or similar on its way?

James

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 05:32 PM

I believe it is for searching in Mail, which indexes all messages. Some people may not wish PGP messages to be so searchable. If one knows the index structure then it isn't that hard to reconstruct messages from it.

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by jb8748:
In Mail's General preferences pane there is a check box for 'Index decrypted messages for searching'.

Anyone know what that is for? Is it to do with File Vault or is support for PGP or similar on its way?

James
If you get an encrypted message from somebody, leaving it ON indexes the encrypted message so you can search it just as you would search any unencrypted message. Leaving it OFF leaves the message encrypted.

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
Using the Apple calculator [Advanced] in Classic and Jag, an incorrect answer would be given to 1.6970-1.6937.

Has this been fixed? And does anyone understand what caused the problem in the first place?
It gives the answer as 0.003300000000000081. I believe the correct answer is 0.0033000000000000806, but it rounds it. So it's "correct", just rounded.

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
Personally... if I'm buying an OS (say Panther), I'm PAYING MONEY for the user experience. I don't see any problem with wanting to test it out before it's ready for prime time, especially if you're PURCHASING the final version.
I'm one person who totally agrees with you here. I don't see what is wrong with downloading the Panther pre-releases if you are going to buy the retail version.

However, in my opinion, Apple does not stop people distributing and downloading these pre-releases because they make the people who use them rant about the great new features in the new OS version. Nobody really believes if Apple CEO Steve Jobs says Expos� is great but when the actual Mac users are saying this then Expos� almost certainly is great. This is the perfect way for Apple to hype their new OS and it also provides the real hardcore Mac fans with what they want: to use the next Apple OS as soon as possible.

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I believe it is for searching in Mail, which indexes all messages. Some people may not wish PGP messages to be so searchable. If one knows the index structure then it isn't that hard to reconstruct messages from it.
Does Mail offer built-in PGP now?

Sorry if I'm way behind.

kman

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by iJed:
However, in my opinion, Apple does not stop people distributing and downloading these pre-releases because they make the people who use them rant about the great new features in the new OS version. Nobody really believes if Apple CEO Steve Jobs says Expos� is great but when the actual Mac users are saying this then Expos� almost certainly is great. This is the perfect way for Apple to hype their new OS and it also provides the real hardcore Mac fans with what they want: to use the next Apple OS as soon as possible.
That is the best observation I've ever read about why Apple leak beta "on purpose".

jb8748
Aug 8, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by kman42:

Sorry if I'm way behind.

kman
I suppose that was really my question when I saw the checkbox. I haven't seen any PGP support in Mail (I think there was an unofficial plugin I saw once).

Does the checkbox imply it is/will be built in?

If it is already in, how do I use it?

Thanks for the answers, James

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 8, 2003, 10:52 PM

Actually if you knew how I was getting them...

Obviously you are a hyprocrate

A what?

Oh hypocrite. When have I ever said anything to anyone about using beta software?

and diskliek yourself to argue your butt off on every subject cuz you are always right.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 02:46 AM

I know this was discussed before in this thread
HERE about "floating-point math."

Has the Calculator been corrected in the latest Panther release? Or does this still happen:

1 - 0.9 - 0.1 = -2.775558e-17 **It should be 0

But:
1 - 0.1 - 0.9 = 0

Just wondering if this has been corrected.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:15 AM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
I know this was discussed before in this thread
HERE about "floating-point math."

But has the Calculator been corrected in the latest Panther release? Or does this still happen:
1-0.9-0.1 = -2.775558e-17

What's even weirder is that:
1 - 0.1 - 0.9 = 0

Just wondering if this has been corrected.
1- 0.1 - 0.9 gives me 0.
( Last edited by zachs; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:05 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 03:17 AM

Yes, I understand that 1 - 0.1 - 0.9 = 0.

But, 1 - 0.9 - 0.1 = should also be "0"

But Mac OSX's Calculator shows -2.775558e-17.

zachs
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Yes, I understand that 1 - 0.1 - 0.9 = 0. But

1 - 0.9 - 0.1 = -2.775558e-17

This is what Mac OSX's Calculator shows instead of "0".
No, no. I meant that the Calculator in 7B28 gives me the correct answer, 0.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 03:23 AM

zachs: Thanks. Good to hear that Apple has corrected this.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by hype:
try http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/LibrarySorter/

ambush
Banned
Aug 9, 2003, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by Melchizedek:
Can anyone confirm that Final Cut Pro 4 works 7B28?
Why does that matter? You know it'll work with the final version.

And Zimphire, stop sinning all over the place!

restbeckett
Aug 9, 2003, 08:08 AM

If the the fella wants to know just tell him. It sure beats downloading-installing and finding out that it doesn't work.

So Yes it works perfectly. Haven't tried iMovie yet though. But who cares.

stew
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That is the best observation I've ever read about why Apple leak beta "on purpose".
Of course Apple is leaking betas on purpose. They just call it "seeding", and every Apple user is free to join it by becoming an ADC member and purchasing seeding keys or by applying for Customer Seeding.

Thus, since the beta seeds are products that are available for purchase from Apple, obtaining them from sources other than Apple and not paying for them is piracy.

Stink different.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
\And Zimphire, stop sinning all over the place!
Yes I know, tsk tsk.

I think it's actually turning the SWF on.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Why does that matter? You know it'll work with the final version.
Sheesh... I was just asking... Why are people so hostile here lately? That thread on cut/copy/paste was pretty rediculous IMO.

4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4

osxisfun
Aug 9, 2003, 12:50 PM

I like your quote.

So true.

entrox
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 01:37 PM

Sheesh... I was just asking... Why are people so hostile here lately?
Because it is an unnecessary question: FCP /will/ work in the released versions PERIOD. If you are no member of the seeding program, you have no business with the current Panther previews. Even if you are a member, you have no business working with or testing FCP on Panther. Developers should test the core OS and their own applications with it and nothing more. Some people in here get hostile, because those who ask such questions usually pirate a copy. And those who don't get hostile are either indifferent to the issue or have pirated the OS themselves.

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
Because it is an unnecessary question: FCP /will/ work in the released versions PERIOD. If you are no member of the seeding program, you have no business with the current Panther previews. Even if you are a member, you have no business working with or testing FCP on Panther. Developers should test the core OS and their own applications with it and nothing more. Some people in here get hostile, because those who ask such questions usually pirate a copy. And those who don't get hostile are either indifferent to the issue or have pirated the OS themselves.

I don't have ANY version of Panther, but I do OWN an academic version of FCP4, and I was just curious if it worked any better than it does now, not that there is anything WRONG with it now, but I hope to see speed increases across the board with all applications and I wanted to know how FCP4 was affected, if at all. You know, I'm not the only one on this board, let alone this thread, asking about compatibiliy issues between Panther and applications. Why don't you scold them too?

We already know that the final build of Panther will fix most application imcompatibilities. We're just curious about the present build is all. Again, this board is way hostile lately...
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4

entrox
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 04:59 PM

I don't have ANY version of Panther, but I do OWN an academic version of FCP4, and I was just curious if it worked any better than it does now, not that there is anything WRONG with it now, but I hope to see speed increases across the board with all applications and I wanted to know how FCP4 was affected, if at all.
That's not what you asked and furthermore, I never implied you had a pirated FCP copy.

You know, I'm not the only one on this board, let alone this thread, asking about compatibiliy issues between Panther and applications. Why don't you scold them too?
I didn't scold you - I merely answered your question: why are some people so hostile towards that kind of inquiry?

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
I didn't scold you - I merely answered your question: why are some people so hostile towards that kind of inquiry?
I guess you did. I won't ask any more questions.
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 09:41 PM

Come on people he only asked a question.

Either answer it, or if you can't or won't, don't!

Theres no need to flame him cus' he asked a simple question.
Luke

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Come on people he only asked a question.

Either answer it, or if you can't or won't, don't!

Theres no need to flame him cus' he asked a simple question.
You forget where you are.

The HAVE to do it.

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
You forget where you are.

The HAVE to do it.

yeh your right...I'm remembering where I am now...sorry wasn't thinking clearly - its late
Luke

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 10:27 PM

Bluetooth is still seriously messed up in 7B28. Plugging in a bluetooth adapter causes Address Book to crash (or not load if you try to run it). It's better than in the previous versions (setup assistant will actually run now), though...

Oh, and accessing Core Audio no longer causes a kernel panic as in 7B21.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

dividend
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 10:48 AM

In Jaguar, if you have Swedish characters such as �, � and �, then addressbook does not sort them correctly. �,�,� should be the three last characters, but they are in address book AND in finder sorted under a and o.

Is this corrected?

ryju
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 11:56 AM

Can someone tell me if the "network" works. Whenever I choose Network in the Finder (in 7A202) it stalls, then I see the other computers but there's nothing in their folders.

Thanks in advance.

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2003, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Can someone tell me if the "network" works. Whenever I choose Network in the Finder (in 7A202) it stalls, then I see the other computers but there's nothing in their folders.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah that happened to me in 7A202 as well. Unfortunately with 7B28, I don't even make it that far. All I see is the 'localhost' icon.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
No, no. I meant that the Calculator in 7B28 gives me the correct answer, 0.
That's great. A stupid, but annoying bug since at least 1984 and System 1 from what I understand.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:

It's a grey area, but I hardly call it "stealing". I, for one, have downloaded (legally of course *cough*) several games to test out their performance on my Ti...

If they play well, I run out to the store and pay full retail price just like everyone else. If they don't, I delete them and never look back, having not wasted my $50 on a game that runs like ass due to a bad port or what have you.

In this case, someone just wants to get a sneak peak at Panther before everyone else. Might not be entirely "legal"... but that doesn't make them a thief (IF they are buying the final version mind you... if not then stealing it is).

I develop software at work (though nothing exciting... database conversion tools in *nix mostly, I'm a sysadmin not a full-blown developer by day)... IF for some reason someone wanted my software (it's only really useful to this office specifically) "early" before I was finished, but was a garaunteed sale afterwards I'd have no issue letting someone take a peak, as long as they accepted responsibility for anything bad that might happen as a result of running unfinished code.

I also think if Apple minded people hammering on the Panther beta so much, they'd go through some steps to make it more difficult to obtain Let's be real folks... anyone (even my mother) can get on BitTorrent or some such and snag a copy... even some MINIMAL protection (an serial or something... though most Mac users hate the idea, as do I) would indicate a desire on Apple's part to keep these as contained as possible. My personal take is that they like the publicity. If everyone goes around spouting off at the mouth how great Panther is... more people are likely to buy it on release. You can't BUY better advertising.
Couple points to make.

First, its up to APPLE whether or not they want the advertising. Second, YOU gave a customer who wanted the pre-release access to it. The customer did not go and illegally obtain it. And finally, if its illegal - its theft. Putting it in quotes doesn't make it any better. It is NOT a grey area. Its truly either right or wrong. Now, just because some companies don't care if you're doing something wrong because they choose to get the free advertising doesn't make it right in the first place. It just means you can get away with it without feeling too bad. Just like jaywalking is illegal whether or not a cop actually charges you with it. Just like a white lie is still a lie even though "it doesn't hurt anybody".

So although you are justifying it - just like many people do (and in fact I do as well on occasion) - doesn't cover up the fact that its white collar crime. Its just acceptable to you and possibly even to Apple to an extent.

So my point here is - don't justify it. Don't cover it up. Call it what it is. I personally can live with a few white lies and a few blatant ones when I feel its the right thing to do for that circumstance - but I don't cover it up. I know its a lie either way and I deal with it.

So no, I'm not trying to be a morality officer here - just trying to get people to call a theft a theft. You can deal with the truth as you see fit and I have no place in your own dealing with it - but I do believe the truth should be said and not some cover ups.

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by kman42:

Sorry if I'm way behind.

kman
PGP has a seamless plug-in that has been out for at least a year....
cpac

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2003, 10:10 PM

Y'know what I find weird? The Internet pref pane is gone. There's a .Mac pane, and a Network pane, but no Internet.

So it's really hard for novice users to set their default browsers to anything but Safari, or their default mail client to anything but Mail.

Kinda Microsoft-ian, IMO.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules