Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lindows is trying to copy MAC OS X!!!

Lindows is trying to copy MAC OS X!!!
mustafa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2003, 05:16 PM

Here is the image of "Stay in Touch" aka rip off of iChat.

Case two

look's alot like iTunes
Case three

look's familiar eh

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 05:19 PM

Well, here we go again....
*cough*
*cough*

F@#$@!!#@# bastard! How could they! What a friggen ripoff!!!!

t

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 8, 2003, 05:30 PM

Well, the highest form of respect is stealing an idea or what was it

Anyway, ripoff or not, it isn't nearly as good looking as the Apple icons.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 05:31 PM

Actually I think their mail icon is a better idea, if more poorly drawn, than Mail.app. A lot of people complain that it is hard to tell at most sizes that the picture of the eagle is a postage stamp. An envelope would have been a better idea.

The iChat is blatant plagerism and I'm sure Apple will complain.

The iTunes one is different enough that I don't think that's a big deal. (Once again not as well drawn)

But in general who cares if they copy? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. When Gnome, KDE, Lindows, Ximian or XP come up with a good idea I hope Apple copies it as well. (Although thinking through the interface some)

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by mustafa:

Read this thread please

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by mustafa:
Who isn't copying Mac OS X?

(And yes, Adam, I spelled it exactly as I meant it, and I meant it exactly as I spelled it )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 06:40 PM

OH MY!!!
They use the same AIM man that Apple got from AOL, a note in front of a CD for a program that plays music and a globe with an envelope. I really think we're all gonna die now if no one is going to set their dogs on them now.

-

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 08:45 PM

Omg really? Someone is producing icons with a glossy look and bright colours, now? JUST LIKE APPLE?

15 years ago computers were all greys. In another decade I suspect that they will be hot pink.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2003, 09:12 PM

The parallels are more than just glossy color.

For instance the music icon is identical to the iTunes one except the CD is gold and it is an eighth note instead of two connected eighth notes.

The iChat is basically identical.

The Mail one really isn't and I don't see the parallel.

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2003, 09:44 PM

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2003, 09:49 PM

oh come on that icon is totally ichat, i mean if the speech bubble wasnt there then i'd say it wasnt a ripoff, but the speech bubble is just like a total redraw of apples idea.

The other 2 however are not so much of a ripoff, but anyway linux always steals everything because its made by moronic programmers constantly wanking off over they're amazing skillz, no real ui designers so thats why the whole things interface is the bastard offspring of windows and a hint of risc os with the context menu mentality (actual gui design im talknig about) as for the visual look thats usually ripeed off osx/xp

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2003, 10:01 PM

Why would apple care? Lindows is in a complettely different market. And is aimed at Microsoft's coustomers not Apple's. As soon as it's not only easy to use but ultra powerful and anywhere near as versatile as OS X then we can worry, right now Lindows is Lindows.

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Why would apple care? Lindows is in a complettely different market. And is aimed at Microsoft's coustomers not Apple's.
As opposed to Apple going for that elusive .25 percent that just got back from a deserted island. Who else would Apple be trying to take marketshare from? Sun?

WombatPredator
Aug 9, 2003, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
As opposed to Apple going for that elusive .25 percent that just got back from a deserted island. Who else would Apple be trying to take marketshare from? Sun?
Oooh!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/32219.html

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2003, 02:15 AM

Hey at least they have taste. They could have copied off XP.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 02:01 PM

Why would apple care? Lindows is in a complettely different market. And is aimed at Microsoft's coustomers not Apple's. As soon as it's not only easy to use but ultra powerful and anywhere near as versatile as OS X then we can worry, right now Lindows is Lindows.

Wasn't it predicted that Linux would have a larger user base than Mac OS X by next year? I would consider that cause for worry.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Wasn't it predicted that Linux would have a larger user base than Mac OS X by next year?
By the same guys who have predicted Apple's death for the last 19 years.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 02:43 PM

Linux does have a larger user base.
They just can't figure out how to install it

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 08:05 PM

Well stated.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2003, 08:09 PM

Lindows is AIMed at the low end. Apple is aimed at the higher end. Apples lowest end would be higher than lindow's highest end. If they encroach on M$ territory, all it does is help people realize there are alternatives. And they can choose one or the other. 5 dollars out of M$'s pocket could be worth more than a buck in Apple's pocket

And linux might get a higher installed base... from being part of a couple thousand server farms.

Linux isn't about to be a desktop OS in any serious way any time soon. And even then it will be marketed as a cheaper alternative than Apple would be. The two both compette in the same space, but both against M$ not against eachother.

carnagex2000
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2003, 08:17 PM

"At LinuxWorld, Sun showed off "Mad Hatter," its upcoming unified desktop, which will sell for half the price of Windows, according to eWEEK: "The demo, dubbed 'Looking Glass,' used transparent, 3D windows that could rotate in space and hide behind one another, drastically increasing the desktop space. The GUI demonstration also featured a Mac OS X-like 'dock' containing thumbnail copies of recently viewed documents.... As for the Apple connection, Schwartz said that the practically every Sun employee owns an Apple desktop at home. 'We would love to partner with Apple...They're everyone's favorite company, and iTunes is really cool.'"

I think they really did take cues from Apple, and Apple does not care, same goes with the Lindows Icons. I think Apple would only worry about Microsoft coping them. (Apple welcomes the *unix flattery....for now)
Powerbook 12" 640MB 60GB AirportExteme Canon 10D and my good looks 8^D

kupan787
Senior User
Aug 13, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Wasn't it predicted that Linux would have a larger user base than Mac OS X by next year? I would consider that cause for worry.
The problem is how to count it. For example, my cousin will say that he uses Linux. However, he has a duel boot setup, and really only runs Linux every so often to mess around. He doens't use for any production or work (and he is a CS major!!). Does he count towards the Linux user base?

I bet the number of "pure" Linux users is pretty small.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by carnagex2000:
I think they really did take cues from Apple, and Apple does not care, same goes with the Lindows Icons. I think Apple would only worry about Microsoft coping them. (Apple welcomes the *unix flattery....for now)
Exactly why sue your allies into oblivion?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2003, 11:39 AM

What, two *similar* icon metaphors but *completely* different art styles? Life goes on, people. I'd call it a tribute.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2003, 12:34 PM

And linux might get a higher installed base... from being part of a couple thousand server farms.

Linux isn't about to be a desktop OS in any serious way any time soon. And even then it will be marketed as a cheaper alternative than Apple would be. The two both compette in the same space, but both against M$ not against eachother.
I second the motion for the installed base...

The VAST majority of Linux "customers" are enterprise servers/server farms. Pixar uses Linux for it's rendering farms, Google uses it for it's datacenter... none of these machines are being used by a desktop user individually but there are THOUSANDS of them.

Seeing Linux marketshare increase doesn't tell of it's market share by actual individual desktop users (which make up the vast majority of Apple's business, with the exception of XServes). Unless the Linux desktop experience improves about 10x (and yes, I use it almost every day at work either on the servers or one of the 2 linux desktops we have for testing) it won't be overtaking OSX as an individual user OS anytime soon. Both KDE and GNOME have a LONG way to go...

Someone else pointed out, very rightly, that many people who "use Linux" in the PC world actually USE Windows and screw around in a dual boot Linux in their spare time. Comparatively few actually use Linux as their sole/primary OS.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 08:11 AM

There's bigger things than icon style rip-offs going on in the Linux world. OS X lust is real and widespread over there. Witness this abomination:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5812

It's a partially successful attempt to steal the OS X Dock. I've seen it in action on some of the machines here at work and it has successfully implemented the magnification and app bounce behaviours. You still can't drag icons to it or drag items around on it and it still doesn't suck up minimized windows but the lack of shame in developing such an obvious knock-off is truly appalling to me.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised... it's just the same old same old: Apple innovates and everyone else just pathetically tries to imitate.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
There's bigger things than icon style rip-offs going on in the Linux world. OS X lust is real and widespread over there.
Yes... but KDE's got features, some of which OS X is maybe trying to "copy" - one of the most important things is that every "environment" gets the best possible solutions, also with the contribution of others...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

utidjian
Senior User
Aug 14, 2003, 08:46 AM

There's bigger things than icon style rip-offs going on in the Linux world. OS X lust is real and widespread over there. Witness this abomination:

It's a partially successful attempt to steal the OS X Dock. I've seen it in action on some of the machines here at work and it has successfully implemented the magnification and app bounce behaviours. You still can't drag icons to it or drag items around on it and it still doesn't suck up minimized windows but the lack of shame in developing such an obvious knock-off is truly appalling to me.

I guess I shouldn't be so surprised... it's just the same old same old: Apple innovates and everyone else just pathetically tries to imitate.
The Gnome panel on a Linux desktop has had the ability for dragging icons to, from, and around it... and to hold minimized apps for years. It doesn't do the genie effects like the Mac OS X dock can but some like em and some don't. While, I suppose, one could argue the point that genie effects, bouncing icons, and magnification are "innovations"... I couldn't, in my opinion, think of them as particularly useful innovations.
-DU-...etc...

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2003, 11:02 AM

Wow...

I'm surprised Apple's legal department isn't ALL over this actually...

I'd like to bring to everyone's attention for a moment, the Mail and Sherlock (or whatever imitation) icons. The Mail icon STILL HAS THE TRANSLUCENT APPLE LOGO. This isn't just imitation as a form of flattery, this is blatent plagarism. Same goes for that Sherlock-lookin icon on the end.

If you're going to make a bad copy of someone else's work fine... but at least have the decency to use original artwork.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
Yes... but KDE's got features, some of which OS X is maybe trying to "copy" - one of the most important things is that every "environment" gets the best possible solutions, also with the contribution of others...
Out of curiousity, which features of OS X have been copied from KDE? I'm not necessarily saying it hasn't happened, I'm just curious which ones you are referring to (KHTML/Safari notwithstanding).

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2003, 02:22 PM

which features of OS X have been copied from KDE?
Sofar, nothing in particular I can think of (except, as you said, Safari and KHTML); but there certainly could be many things from KDE that could fit well (with modifications) in OS X: for example, more powerful contextual menus, Konqueror's "split-pane" view options, more customizability for the windows, more integration between file and web browsing, the KParts plug-in architecture, and so on.

KDE and OS X could interact very well, as KDE has many features (maybe too many, in some cases, as happens in Linux) and OS X has the look-and-feel (and is being copied by both Windows and Linux).

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by utidjian:
The Gnome panel on a Linux desktop has had the ability for dragging icons to, from, and around it... and to hold minimized apps for years.
I'm not saying that the concept or functionality of a dock/wharf/taskbar/whatever is unique and invented by Apple. What makes the actual OS X Dock unique is the way all of the expected functions have been combined and implemented. It's effective use of fluid animation makes other implementations of a similar concept seem very dated.

It doesn't do the genie effects like the Mac OS X dock can but some like em and some don't. While, I suppose, one could argue the point that genie effects, bouncing icons, and magnification are "innovations"... I couldn't, in my opinion, think of them as particularly useful innovations.
While the genie effect may be just [beautiful] eye candy, the magnification and bouncing icons are indeed very useful. Magnification because it gives Dock icons the ability to provide *useful* information without the user having to strain and read some minuscule font. The bounce behaviour is also useful because it lets the user know that the application is starting up or that it needs their attention (without dropping a modal dialog in front of all their work). I've seen people run slow-launching apps on other platforms and were it not for the LED light on their HD, they wouldn't even know the computer is doing anything.

The project I linked to is a blatant attempt to exactly mimic the unique behaviours of the of the OS X Dock which, IMO, makes it very, very lame.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by juanpacolopez:
Wow...

I'm surprised Apple's legal department isn't ALL over this actually...

I'd like to bring to everyone's attention for a moment, the Mail and Sherlock (or whatever imitation) icons. The Mail icon STILL HAS THE TRANSLUCENT APPLE LOGO. This isn't just imitation as a form of flattery, this is blatent plagarism. Same goes for that Sherlock-lookin icon on the end.

If you're going to make a bad copy of someone else's work fine... but at least have the decency to use original artwork.
The guy who made those icons made them to be icons inspired by apple and Crystal featuring tux for mac os x and linux

go to http://xicons.com/details/631.html for his mac icons

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2003, 06:05 PM

Like I said before.. Innovation is for Apple, Following is for others.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by mark9939:
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
Uh huh, and in the computer industry it can lead to a 3% market share.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 09:38 AM

If they don't have permission from AOL they'll probably have to rip out the AOL-man.

The globe on the last icon is taken from World of Aqua Icons by the IconFactory.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules