Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Illustrstor 9/translucent problems?

Illustrstor 9/translucent problems?
TJ Morin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2001, 04:51 PM

9 is working a lot on its own, nothing will go from 9 to 8 and print the same layers, trans. colors become solid- is there an answer??

the siren
Mar 1, 2001, 01:49 PM

Illustrator 8 doesn' t support transparency. When you transfer you files from 9 to 8, the transparency is lost.

TJ Morin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by the siren:
Illustrator 8 doesn' t support transparency. When you transfer you files from 9 to 8, the transparency is lost.

TJ Morin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2001, 03:47 PM

When opening a Il8 file in 9 why does it create layers for every object in that file? why are some layers not printing? what improvement does 9.02 have, will Photoshop 6 open a Il9 life with trans layers? should I go on??

andi*pandi
Mar 1, 2001, 05:57 PM

Illustrator 9 makes everything a mini-layer. Don't worry about that part.

Why some things won't print... I don't know.

I had problems with transparency--things I hadn't told to be transparent would appear that way the next time I opened a doc. I about freaked when I opened my doc and saw nothing.... til I turned off the preview.

I would upgrade to 9.02, heard much about stability at 9.0 and 9.01, and considering how unstable 9.02 is, can't imagine how bad it must be without upgrade...

good luck.

Icarus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2001, 02:16 AM

Definately upgrade to 9.0.2 or downgrade to 8. When it was first released Ill9 was one of the buggiest pieces of software I have ever ran accross. I downgraded to 8 and have been very happy. I have played around with 9.0.2 but I still have problems with it and so I won't incorporate it into my workflow.
If you need to use 9 update it, It seems to print much better (Nearly half the documents I created in Illustartor wouldn't print from 9 at all)
"I do it so it feels like hell,
I do it so it feels real"
----Sylvia Plath

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2001, 09:45 PM

As much as plug ins are time savers it does allow us to become dependent on the filters instead of finding resolutions without the plug in. Somewhat like if you know how to hard code HTML it is to your advantage if there are problems or the client does not have your favorite editor. Anyway, there is the pathfinder tools and you can give the appearance of transparency by using "soft mix" to set the percentage of over lapping colors to produce a tint percentage of the combined colors that looks like it is transparent. The best thing is that it is not Illustrator version specific!

It's all mind over matter as long as it does not matter....

[This message has been edited by zoopsia215 (edited 03-07-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules