Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" AlBook keyboard swap

12" AlBook keyboard swap
tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 11:54 PM

i'm about to purchase a new 12" powerbook and i was wondering if it was possible to swap the keyboard with the 12" ibook keyboard. the reason i want to switch is that i don't really like the AlBook keyboard. The paint on the keys feels like it could possibly come off after extensive use. Let me know what you think. thanks!

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 12:00 AM

I would say, You are crazy... It is your choice though. The feel of the keyboard on the ibook is cheap, the 12" pb is starting to be known as the best keyboard made so far!

PS. I highly doubt you can do that. In looking and my ibook and powerbook, they are not swappable.

tpxstyle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2003, 01:03 AM

thanks for the info, the AlBook keyboard has a nice typing feel to it but i'm just worried about the paint on the keys chipping or coming off

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 01:14 AM

I feel like it is very tough stuff. I've had mine from the month they were let out and typed all day long on the thing. I'm not really that gentle and the keyboard is still essentially NEW. It is really great, again, I feel it is the best laptop keyboard ever made!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2003, 02:00 AM

Unless the keys themselves are painted, you won't have any problems. The letters are laser etched and will not flake off. I believe the keys are molded in the color that they are.

cS

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2003, 02:29 AM

You're one strange and troubled puppy.

A: The PB keys aren't painted they are laser etched. They will last forever.

B: Have you actually read some of the reviews on this board? They consistently state, and I agree, that the PB keyboard is one of the best keyboards Apple has ever produced.

C: No, you cannot exchange the iBook keyboard for the PB one.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2003, 02:36 AM

You could always get one of those silicone form-fitting keyboard protectors to keep your fingers off the keys. Made just for the Mac:

iSkin
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2003, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by neutrino23:
You could always get one of those silicone form-fitting keyboard protectors to keep your fingers off the keys. Made just for the Mac:

iSkin
Unless I am mistaken, the iSkin is not compatible with the 12" PowerBook
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules