Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Want ADSL don't know what 2 do!

Want ADSL don't know what 2 do!
Nu2Mac
Aug 19, 2003, 12:27 AM

Hello, i really need to get broadband, and i guess the easiest way to do it is to get adsl.

Buy tommororw i would need to buy a ADSL modem, and join with a company, i need broadband to do my course online.

Question 1, Do i need to use a Mac Specific ADSL modem, or will OS X recognise it for me, without any software needed?

Question 2, Do u need to be a mac expert to configure one or can the PC support line do it, is it like setting up a normal modem acount, i know how to do that.

Please reply soon... thanx

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 12:47 AM

Well, this is what I did:

1) Signed up for DSL with my provider
2) Received and plugged modem into correct outlets.
3) Plugged computer into modem.

Mac OS X will automatically recognize your DSL, unless of course they require you to log in using PPPoE.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 01:24 AM

If you don't get a free DSL modem from your provider, then they suck. And if they give you a USB modem, they still suck.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

tonyibook
Aug 19, 2003, 02:42 AM

I went with Tiscali in the UK, �20 a month for 256kbit. I tried using the supplied USB modem but it caused crashes and it was slow to get going after waking up the machine from sleep. I went ouit and bought a ZOOMADSL X4 modem/router from PC World, �80. The ZOOMADSL plugs into the Mac via the Ethernet, and as it keeps the ADSL connection live you can be browsing within seconds of waking the machine.

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 19, 2003, 03:57 AM

I don't get it,

Why is the USB modem crappy???

can some one elaborate on that for me?

I don't know the difference, and my potential ISP gave me the option of USB or ethernet, but usb is much cheaper.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Nu2Mac:
I don't get it,

can some one elaborate on that for me?

I don't know the difference, and my potential ISP gave me the option of USB or ethernet, but usb is much cheaper.
USB requires software drivers - Ethernet doesn't. My advice - get an ADSL modem/router. That way you'll have no problems connecting and it will be easy to share in the future if you have friends round.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 07:17 AM

I don't get it,

It will need drivers. You can't use it on a network as easily. USB isn't meant to be a networking port, that's what ethernet is for.

If you can, get an ADSL modem and router in one. These usually have a built in hardware firewall, require no software, and will give you a few free ethernet ports if you need to hook up to a network as well as the internet.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 12:40 PM

Hello, i really need to get broadband, and i guess the easiest way to do it is to get adsl.
Actually, I'd say that the easiest way would have to be getting cable internet. Cable generally can be installed quicker. Will provide faster, more consistent connections, and will almost certainly be a simple DHCP connection. If it ain't available to you, though, go for DSL.
I would also recommend NOT getting a combo modem and router. I think you're better off getting a separate modem and cheap but quality router, like the Netgear MR814. This even provides Airport support and goes for about 40 bucks at buy.com.
Are you saying that your potential DSL provider does not give you a free modem? Most ISPs do. And ya, make SURE you get an ethernet modem.
( Last edited by aaanorton; Aug 19, 2003 at 12:45 PM. )

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2003, 03:32 PM

Do NOT get a USB modem. Get Ethernet - always.

Wade

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 19, 2003, 09:49 PM

Thanx everyone,

Yeah I live in Australia, and Modems don't come free where I live and broadband is still not affordable as some people in the US might have it.

I found an ISP that will charge me AU$180 (US$117) for the Ethernet ADSL modem and it will cost AU$98(US68) a month for 3gigs download limit.

This is actually the best I could find that will support my area, which is buy the way in a metropolitan area.

SUX 2 B Australian

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2003, 09:58 PM

Doesn't suck to be Australian, just to live there.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 10:04 PM

Yeah, you don't get free ADSL modems over here guys

Dude, I didn't realise you were aussie, I use these guys:

http://www.comcen.net.au/dsl/pricing.htm

$79/month for 5GB transfer (plus another 5GB between midnight and 7am - so 10GB total for the month)

Been great for me. I bought the ADSL modem/router in one from them with the deal. When they sent the modem to me, all I had to do was:

1) Put a double adaptor on my phone line.
2) Connect the little line filter box to one of the phone sockets, and then plug the phone into this
3) Plug the modem into the other phone socket
4) PLug modem into Mac's Ethernet Port
5) In a web browser go to 192.168.0.1 (type that in the address field)
6) This takes you to the modem config page.
7) Type in my username and password, and one other thing that the ISP told me to type in.
8) Restart
9) Works!

Whatever you do, get an ethernet modem or router (or both). Do not get USB.

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 19, 2003, 10:11 PM

Thanx lots for the instruction, i still have no clue how to do it till now,

Hope it comes with a manual.

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
Yeah, you don't get free ADSL modems over here guys
Do they only provide ADSL in Australia? Or does this online course require ADSL? If you don't need the upload speed, regular DSL (SDSL) would be a bit cheaper... that is unless you really want the faster upload speed.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by himself:
Do they only provide ADSL in Australia? Or does this online course require ADSL? If you don't need the upload speed, regular DSL (SDSL) would be a bit cheaper... that is unless you really want the faster upload speed.
You've got it backwards. ADSL is asynchronous DSL, meaning that the up/down speeds are NOT the same. Specifically, uploading is much slower. It costs A LOT more to have synchronous speeds.

himself
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
You've got it backwards. ADSL is asynchronous DSL, meaning that the up/down speeds are NOT the same. Specifically, uploading is much slower. It costs A LOT more to have synchronous speeds.
You're absolutely right.

Okay, everyone! Just ignore my previous post...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2003, 10:51 PM

Oh, and welcome to Macintosh.

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 20, 2003, 01:22 AM

Thanx Spheric Harlot,

Funny thing is, I'm Doing a IT degree,
and don't know the first thing about computers.

Never owned on till now

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 07:11 PM

$79/month for 5GB transfer (plus another 5GB between midnight and 7am - so 10GB total for the month)
Whoa - I'm getting 3mbps down and 500kbps up for $50 / month with no data transfer limits.

It must suck to live in Australia, even if you do have cute kangaroos.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 07:13 PM

Thanx lots for the instruction, i still have no clue how to do it till now,

Hope it comes with a manual.
If you get the Ethernet modem, it should be pretty much plug and play. At the worst, you'd just have to open Network Preferences and type in your PPPoE info.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Scifience:
Whoa - I'm getting 3mbps down and 500kbps up for $50 / month with no data transfer limits.

It must suck to live in Australia, even if you do have cute kangaroos.
Remember $79AU = ~$40US

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Actually, I'd say that the easiest way would have to be getting cable internet. Cable generally can be installed quicker. Will provide faster, more consistent connections, and will almost certainly be a simple DHCP connection. If it ain't available to you, though, go for DSL.
I would also recommend NOT getting a combo modem and router. I think you're better off getting a separate modem and cheap but quality router, like the Netgear MR814. This even provides Airport support and goes for about 40 bucks at buy.com.
Are you saying that your potential DSL provider does not give you a free modem? Most ISPs do. And ya, make SURE you get an ethernet modem.
I second that. I have used both cable and DSL an dI can say that DSl sux. I had Bell Sympatico DSL in Canada and it was capped at 128Kbps - 1 IP address. For the same price I have a cable modem capped at 384Kbps and it comes with 3 IP addresses...

DHCP is much nicer than PPPoE
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 01:14 PM

Thanx Spheric Harlot,

Funny thing is, I'm Doing a IT degree,
and don't know the first thing about computers.

Never owned on till now
More like Sad...

Why would you choose to do IT having no prior computer experience? I'll tell you right now, a 3 or even 4 year "degree" will not prepare you to be competitive with those that also have a degree and have been using computers since they were 4.

Honestly. I don't mean to sound callous, but I don't see how this is a good career choice for you. I am just finishing a 4 year computer science degree and I must say that most of my computer knowledge comes from years of experience (garnered from personal interest). I have spoken with my classmates about this and many of them feel the same way.

In first year we had some complete newbies in an introductory Java class. both of them had to drop out becasue they had no idea how to install the IDE (or even what an IDE is) on their computers. Every class they would ask questions that were clearly below the level of everyone else in the class.

They had zero understanding of little things, like how USB was different from Ethernet (which is common knowlegde to people with even basic computer literacy). They really were quite lost. No one wanted to be their partner because we all knew that they would not pull their own weight on the assignments. They had no choice but to work with each other. It was like the blind leading the deaf I tell you...

Anyone else care to comment?

Would you want this person managing your IT dept?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

Scifience
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 01:17 PM

Remember $79AU = ~$40US
I know, but still.... how fast is the actual speed of the line?

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 22, 2003, 05:14 AM

Originally posted by Hadacon

More like Sad...

Why would you choose to do IT having no prior computer experience? I'll tell you right now, a 3 or even 4 year "degree" will not prepare you to be competitive with those that also have a degree and have been using computers since they were 4.

Honestly. I don't mean to sound callous, but I don't see how this is a good career choice for you. I am just finishing a 4 year computer science degree and I must say that most of my computer knowledge comes from years of experience (garnered from personal interest). I have spoken with my classmates about this and many of them feel the same way.

In first year we had some complete newies in an introductory Java class. both of them had to drop out because they had no idea how to install the IDE (or even what an IDE is) on their computers. Every class they would ask questions that were clearly below the level of everyone else in the class.

They had zero understanding of little things, like how USB was different from Ethernet (which is common knowlegde to people with even basic computer literacy). They really were quite lost. No one wanted to be their partner because we all knew that they would not pull their own weight on the assignments. They had no choice but to work with each other. It was like the blind leading the deaf I tell you...

Anyone else care to comment?

Would you want this person managing your IT dept?

Unlike some Mac users who grew up in fancy homes and parents who could buy them a new Pro machine every few years,

My parents migrated from a very poor country, and that meant my Daddy couldn�t afford a laptop for me to play around with as a kid, and we didn't have a lot of disposable income in our family, so yeah I didn�t have a lot of computer exposure.

Lucky for me, I am a bit gifted when it comes to learning new things, and I think I will be able to hack it. I arrived in AUS when I was 10, after that and I was speaking pigeon English (everything back to front and grammatical errors all the way). I didn't know how to read or spell until I was 12 years old and now I�m 18 doing university with no prior education outside AUS.

But now I can seriously say that my English (orally) is much better than most of my Aussie friends, even though I still can't spell properly and gramma is still very tricky.

Java is kicking my ass right now (not that im getting bad scores, its the fact that I have to stay on campus for 5 hours or more a day using the comps), but I had excelled in everything else in the first semester (comp and internet tech etc.)

I can seriously say, information that I haven't been exposed to before I won't know, but when I am, I can recall them much faster then most.

But I understand that I have a lot of catching up to do, and I have thought of that, this is why im doing a double degree in bachelor or IT & bachelor of geoiformatics.

Oh yeah� Hadacon I hate people like you, you judged a persons ability to perform before you even got to understand them or know them and I had people like you in some of my classes. I was grouped with another person but he ditched me because I didn�t have great knowledge of remote sensor�s (geoinformatics) and I had to do the assignment by myself, he told me it was survive of the fittest. Funny thing was I scored higher in that assignment then he did.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 10:43 AM

Oh yeah� Hadacon I hate people like you, you judged a persons ability to perform before you even got to understand them or know them and I had people like you in some of my classes. I was grouped with another person but he ditched me because I didn�t have great knowledge of remote sensor�s (geoinformatics) and I had to do the assignment by myself, he told me it was survive of the fittest. Funny thing was I scored higher in that assignment then he did.
My Darwinian response:
It is too bad that you hate people like me as more than likely it will be us pampered Westerners that have had it easy all our lives (because out fathers can afford to buy us new laptops) who will be in positions to hire you when you graduate...

My Humanist response:
From your post it sounds like you really pulled yourself up by your shoe-strings (bootstrap!). It is hard working people like you that make people like me look lazy :-) (although I get by just fine myself). I am sorry if you took my previous post as being callous towards you. I was just curious as to why someone with no prior experience would choose to study IT. My personal experience with uninitiated CS students is that they are hopeless. I guess my experience does not necessarily relate to yours, as you are doing IT and not CS (which are totally different beasts). My bad.

P.S. Don't hate. It will get you nowhere.

Nu2Mac  (op)
Aug 23, 2003, 01:51 AM

Eep,

Yeah hate is the wrong word to use,

I don't hate U, or the others,

I dislike, I think that is a better word for it.

I would be doing myself a great injustice if I let these little things get to me

Forum Links
Forum Rules