Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > University in Sept, worth waiting for Powerbooks?

University in Sept, worth waiting for Powerbooks?
tombertram
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 11:34 AM

I need a laptop for University around the 22nd of September. Is it worth waiting for new Powerbooks to be released? Will the updates be considerable? Tom.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 11:37 AM

What are you planning on doing with your laptop.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 12:14 PM

Well assuming they are announced at the beginning of September, and that is a big IF, it usually takes at least 6 weeks for them to get to the UK.

That takes you well into term time to start with.

You then have set up time, and time to check the machine out... it is not uncommon for them to be bad from the box, or go bad in the first few weeks.

What if there is a problem with the machine? You send it back and wait another 2 weeks or something? Welcome to November, 2 months into terms, and you still have to laptop.

I bought a 15" Ti in mid July, and will have used and set up the machine for about a month before I start my Post Grad course on the 6th of September... I have checked it, set it up, and made sure it will do everything I need before my course starts.

I wanted to wait for a 15" Alu, but the risk was too great to them not arriving, or disrupting my work. Also there are some great Higher Edu deals on Powerbooks at the moment...

To me, if you are starting Uni in September, there is not that much, or even *any* time at all to wait, if you want a trouble and stress free time...

Just my 2ps worth.

Good luck with it,

Marc

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 12:56 PM

I have college in a week so I realized that even if they did refresh the 12" PowerBook I wouldn't have sufficient time to get used to it and transfer my data from my PC (I'm a switcher), so I bought mine during the first week of August. It was the best decision, because now I have everything setup just as I want it, can turn off that PC, and have learned a whole lot about OS X that I'm comfortable to give up Windows. I have to say, even if they do update soon, at least the 12" PowerBooks likely won't see *major* updates and as far as heat I believe these later models are better with dealing with that problem - so called Revision 1.5. But it also looks like an update is imminent for the PowerBook line, perhaps the 12" a little later. The 15" should be getting major updates, likely including a new design and at least better AirPort reception (important if your campus has wireless). If I were in the market again for a 12", the ideal machine I think for college, I would buy now except the wait time will already mean you might not get it until you're at college if it really takes 6 weeks in the UK. In that case, you should, if you can, take a PC or old computer with you, or use a computer lab, and wait for the updates to buy since you can't get a computer in time anyway. Definitely wait and see what happens to the 15" if you're interested in it. Ignore the rumors and seriously consider regardless of when the new line comes out whether you can wait up to a month or whatever. And I'd recommend this generation of 12" now if it works for you too =) Good luck
Looking forward.

Riemann Zeta
Aug 21, 2003, 01:58 PM

Sniff around for a good deal on an existing 15" Ti 1 GHz SD machine. Considering that we are nearing the 1 year anniversary of this machine's release, you should be able to get some good deals. Some are quoting next tuesday as the release date for the new 15" laptops--I'll buy it when I see it. Also, as mentioned, keep in mind that even if new 15" machines are released on Tuesday, they probably won't ship until October / November.
God is just a statistic...

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 05:57 PM

This is unrelated, but is it just me or does it bother anyone else when people say, "I'm going to be going off to university" as opposed to, "I'm going off to college"? I realize the two words mean the same thing (essentially), but for us Americans, it's always "college" unless you're referring to a specific one, in which case you'd say Such and Such University.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
This is unrelated, but is it just me or does it bother anyone else when people say, "I'm going to be going off to university" as opposed to, "I'm going off to college"? I realize the two words mean the same thing (essentially), but for us Americans, it's always "college" unless you're referring to a specific one, in which case you'd say Such and Such University.
In the UK, Colleges and Universities are not the same at all...

College is very often used as a generic term for an educational establishment catering for 16-18 year old doing A-Levels, or even a school.

It can also be used for some diverse forms of (practical skills based) higher education such as agricultural college and technical college etc

A University is an dedicated establishment of Higher Education (like an American College!). To get to one you need to get decent results at A-Level, and you go there to get a 'Degree' or equivalent level of professional qualification like Law or Medicine. You can do this no where else.

University in the UK has no real ambiguity in the same way that the word college does.

If you are going to University, you are generally in your late teens and have achieved a level of intellectual recognition. If you say you are going to college, it could be anything... Hence in the Uk we use the distinction pretty often.

Guess it just one of those USA-->UK ambiguities...

Peace,

Marc

superfula
Senior User
Aug 21, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
In the US, a university and a college are NOT the same thing. A college is a smaller institution with less accredited programs. A college can become a university as it grows. People use the terms like you stated, but they aren't the same.

In a university, the smaller divisions are called colleges. The university I go to, we have an Ag College, a Liberal Arts College, an Engineering College, etc. They are all part of the the greater university, but split off. Like a state and country would be.

Anyway...this is way off topic

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2003, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by superfula:
In the US, a university and a college are NOT the same thing.
Believe me, I know this. I go to the 5th largest UNIVERSITY in the US so I definitely know the difference b/w college and universities. I was just simplifying and referring to how MOST people in the US only say, "He's at college" or "I'm going off to college" or whatever when they're actually referring to universities. But foreign people often say, "Father is sending me to university!" LOL.

Originally posted by superfula:
Anyway...this is way off topic
Yeah, but after reading through these forums after a two year break, I think some of the folks who post here frequently could USE some deviation from the topic.

tombertram  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys...

Yeah in the UK you can leave school at 16, then you can go to college and do 'A Levels', which for most people takes two years. So from about 18 onwards (which is me) you can go to University, which is what is probably referred to as college in America, I'm not sure.

Tom.

urban
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2003, 09:51 PM

in Canada,with a few exceptions, graduating from a college gets you a diploma, and graduating from a university gives you a degree.
Colleges give you more pratical skills you will need in the workforce whereas universities give you a more in depth view of the program you are in, and they well prepare you into the workforce and post secondary studies or professional schools.

bobpensik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 12:15 AM

i know i got sick of waiting and just ordered my 12inch PB today, and it is due to arrive like september 12th or so, so even if they do update i bet there will be a nice long wait to actually get your hands on one!!

With all the deals and discounts i really couldn't resist. i mean with the educational price then a free printer and $300 CAD off an iPod i am getting the deal that i would have anyway with a printer and an iPod for $100

And while you are all waiting for you PB updates, and betting when they will be released, i will be playing and surfing with mine! i am only going for the 12inch anyway, so there won't be many updates to that anyway! So its all good!

Forum Links
Forum Rules