Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting VQF Files into MP3's

Converting VQF Files into MP3's
Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2000, 09:05 PM

Is it possible to convert a VQF file into an mp3? If so, how? With what software? From there, how can I burn them to a CD for my listening pleasure?

-Steve

penginkun
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2000, 01:01 PM

converting VQFs to MP3s... Oy...

AFAIK, there is no way to simply decode a VQF file. I might be wrong...it's been a VERY long time since I looked at http://www.vqf.com to see if they had any updates to the Mac software there.

What they suggested was downloading the plugin for WinAMP (yes, WinAMP) which would allow it to play VQFs. Then you would tell WA to play your track. You need to set WA to save the track to a WAV. You could then encode the WAV as an MP3, move it to your Mac, and then decode and burn it.

Sounds complicated, I guess, but it's really not too bad...and probably the only option at the moment, though as I said, it's been a VERY long time since I fooled around with VQF...

clif
Apr 4, 2000, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Biggysteve:
Is it possible to convert a VQF file into an mp3? If so, how? With what software? From there, how can I burn them to a CD for my listening pleasure?

-Steve
Steve...

If you have a Mac, the simplest way for you to start working with VQF files is to get QuickTime Pro. In this upgrade to the standard QT player, you'll get the several encoding and decoding options for virtually every sound, image, & multimedia format available today. I have QT Pro now b/c i saw a demo of the features of QT Pro by the Apple product manager and when you know what you're doing, this is a VERY powerful Macintosh application.

Best of luck!
clif

Biggysteve  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2000, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by penginkun:
converting VQFs to MP3s... Oy...

AFAIK, there is no way to simply decode a VQF file. I might be wrong...it's been a VERY long time since I looked at http://www.vqf.com to see if they had any updates to the Mac software there.

What they suggested was downloading the plugin for WinAMP (yes, WinAMP) which would allow it to play VQFs. Then you would tell WA to play your track. You need to set WA to save the track to a WAV. You could then encode the WAV as an MP3, move it to your Mac, and then decode and burn it.

Sounds complicated, I guess, but it's really not too bad...and probably the only option at the moment, though as I said, it's been a VERY long time since I fooled around with VQF...
I just decided to drop the whole endeavor, connect my Power Mac 7500 to my stereo reciever and tape deck and record my VQF's from there, playing them from Yamaha's SoundVQ Player Software for the Mac. A tape is not a CD, but this seemed like a simple, easy and unstressful way to deal with what really seems to be an underrated and unused sound format.

-Steve

JoshFofer
Apr 5, 2000, 12:53 AM

You could have also chosen to take that same mic cable and run it from the sound out of your Mac into the sound in (microphone jack) of your Mac... and then used a sound recording application like SoundEdit 16, Peak, or the shareware Audiocorder, and then recorded the sound as your played it. Then you'd have it as a WAV, AIFF, or whatever sound format you wanted.

The other option would have been to use a screen-capture utility like Snapz Pro to make a quicktime movie of the sound as it played. Then strip the video, just use the sound from the .mov, and you'd be in business.

Plenty of ways to workaround these lame incompatible sound formats!

Forum Links
Forum Rules