Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any Audio Engineers looking at a G5?

Any Audio Engineers looking at a G5?
lessthandmb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 01:43 PM

Im thinking about upgrading to the G5 just dont know whethor or not to get the 1.8 or dp2.0...do audio programs like logic really benefit from a DP?

krassy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 02:09 PM

hi lessthandmb

i'd go for the dual as logic is optimized for dual processor.. one effect plugin can run on one cpu while another is running on the 2nd cpu ...

more info here

http://www.emagic.de/home/news/index.php?lang=EN

greetings

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 02:16 PM

I do engineering, but I am going to pass on the G5 until it has matured a little. Or more importantly, more software becomes available that can really make the most of it.
But if you must have a G5 now, the dual would be the one to go for.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2003, 02:16 PM

I gotta agree on the dual. I'm running Logic on a Dual Gig G4, and it pretty well maxes the processors out, running 14 or 15 tracks of Audio into 4 or 5 busses, with compressors, EQ & whatnot on the individual tracks and reverb on the busses.

The only major hiccup I've had though, has been trying to read the tracks and write back the sterio mix while bouncing to the same hard drive.

Whatever you do, at least get 2 drives, one for reading audio from and the other for bouncing mixes to.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 04:29 PM

Audio type here --

Also planning on a G5.

For folks like us, I think it's the dual or nothing. Wouldn't consider any other model. BTW, a version of Logic optimized for the G5 has been developed (and released, I believe) that is also specifically optimized for the dual.

Given the age-old debate between host-based vs. native DAWs, if you're going native, you can't not get the dual. It's the one that tips the debate.

I too am a little hesitant about getting one before other people have crossed the Ts and dotted the "i"s, but I get a sense that Apple is committed to doing right by the first generation G5 customers for a number of reasons, not the least of which is there will be well over 100,000 of them.

Incidentally, Apple has explicitly added a line item to their corporate budget for correcting problems with first generation technology.

-MattiMattMatt

lessthandmb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2003, 07:52 PM

Aright so Im going to go with the DP with combo drive and then add a matched pair of 512's and a 17in studio display. What do you guys think about this?
( Last edited by lessthandmb; Aug 26, 2003 at 08:47 PM. )

freaktornado
Aug 26, 2003, 08:02 PM

My main reason for buying a G5 is for Logic. I'm moving my production toward software and selling my outboard gear. As it is, I can easily bring my DP800 to its knees with ~10 software instruments and a few dozen audio tracks w/ plug-ins.

It's nice to know that Emagic has already updated Logic for the G5 so I should be ready to go when it arrives.

It's a tad risky to jump on a new architecture so early, but I've done so in the past with good results.

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2003, 11:04 AM

I think we're all pretty much in the same boat -- counting on the G5 to allow us to rely more heavilly on the computer, less outboard (although I'm definately keeping some of my tastier outboard around).

Lessthanmb -- the only thing I would change if I were you (of course, budget depending) is to get a larger monitor. You'll want to see all the stuff the G5 will let you do.

-MattiMattMatt

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2003, 11:11 AM

Really, it would be ideal to have two monitors with Logic-- Arrange window on one, and Mixer on the other. Dual 17" would be fine, and give you more real estate than a single 20"

I DON'T have two monitors, and the one thing that drives me nuts about Logic is having 4 or 5 windows piled up on one another.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

lessthandmb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Really, it would be ideal to have two monitors with Logic-- Arrange window on one, and Mixer on the other. Dual 17" would be fine, and give you more real estate than a single 20"

I DON'T have two monitors, and the one thing that drives me nuts about Logic is having 4 or 5 windows piled up on one another.

CV
I might not even use logic I might use the new Cubase coming out for OSX...save that $300 to buy a pair of Rode NT5's...

MattiMattMatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2003, 12:44 PM

fwiw, I'd go for Logic over Cubase.

-MattiMattMatt

Forum Links
Forum Rules