Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Note Organizer Programs (Sticky Brain and the like)

Note Organizer Programs (Sticky Brain and the like)
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2003, 04:30 PM

I posted before and got lots of good information.

Just putting in my two cents. I liked Xnippets the best, even though I wish it was a little more advance, but I haven't played with it fully.

Devonthink was good too, but I don't think I quite figured it out yet.

Sticky Brain has a cool serach engine and I learned how to grab text, but it might have too much and it doesn't just make sense like iTunes does, which is why I like Xnippets because it reminds me the most of Apple's programs.

NoteTake and Notebook just don't make sense to me... too much.... ever thing had a content page and other things... very covoluted to my way of thinking.

I'm a writer and love to jot down ideas... I usually use appleworks or word for this and just ifle them in folders.... which works fine... but what I like about Xnippets is the way you can install see what's in a document....

Just by using the arrow key you can read your 100 quick ideas you had for a novel or whatever without having to open 100 separate documents...

Here are my questions:

� Which program do you like?
� Can you think of anyone program I might like based on what I told you?
� Are backing this files up easy? I would be concerned about losing my great ideas because they aren't easy to back up like a word document?

Thank you as always for your great help and advice.

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 11:26 PM

Have you tried Alepin? I haven't looked at it, but robg from macosxhints.com gave it a really good review in this month's macworld. I'm going to check it out soon.

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 12:30 AM

I love OmniOutliner.

You can get a free one day license if you'd like to try it out (also the demo version works with a limited number of entries even without a demo license)
cpac

headbirth
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 12:44 AM

ScrapIt Pro X has a lot of potential ... give it a try :-)

mark2
Aug 27, 2003, 10:45 AM

I write a lot, too.
Alepin is useful for quick notes and for editing because you can set the window to float above all others, when needed. It's kind of like a scrapbook app.
mac journal is ok, and it's free, I believe.

But, for writing down and keeping track of a lot of ideas you should try Idea Knot. It should work great for the kind of thing you're talking about. It's free, for now:
http://www.stayatplay.com/ideaknot/tips.php

Overall, my favorite, and by far, my most useful app is iData Pro:
http://www.coastalfog.net/idata/downloads.html

photozhop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2003, 04:22 PM

Hum... all these new applications...
I keep to the classic apps Omnioutliner from omnigroup.com and Liner from imediasw.com.
honestly I end up using Liner at my iBook and Omni at the G4.. Dunno why really..

ambush
Banned
Aug 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

Liner [www.imediasw.com]
and OmniOutliner [www.omnigroup.com]

are both great apps.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Liner [www.imediasw.com]
and OmniOutliner [www.omnigroup.com]

are both great apps.

Wow, I didn't even know these programs exsisted a few days ago, now I've tried over 15 of them... so many to choose from... some are so similar.

Basically I would use it to keep ideas for screenplays, novels, short stories, a to do list, useful hints I find from MacNN and other websites....

I like the ones where they are set up like Itunes... folders on the left side, and the acutall documents ot the right.

So far Xnippets has been my favorite.

Devon Think is close behing, but i don't see the advantage of having a rtf. But it does support graphics, where Xnippets does not.

I would ideal love one that is set up like Xnippets, but is able to accept graphics and more importanlty able to drop url into my list and be able to click on them and go to a webiste.

Xnippets help suggested download something called iCeCoffEE which allows you to option, double click a URL in a application. But when I sued it, lots of time it didn't open up the URL in a web browser, but for some reason opened Entourage.

Very weird.

So if I like Xnippets over them all, sure I can use that one... but anything like it that has the same setup just with more features.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 04:51 AM

I used to use MacJournal - which is a great app and freeware.

I've switched to HogBay Notebook, which is better for me as it allows you to have multiple separate notebooks.

Both are well worth a look

stravinsky1911
Aug 28, 2003, 10:02 AM

Hog Bay Notebook is fantastic- the search engine is the best I've found, and the author is quick with updates and enhancements. It got me through my Masters comprehensive exam!

stravinsky1911

Dopey
Aug 28, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
I posted before and got lots of good information.

Just putting in my two cents. I liked Xnippets the best, even though I wish it was a little more advance, but I haven't played with it fully.

Devonthink was good too, but I don't think I quite figured it out yet.

Sticky Brain has a cool serach engine and I learned how to grab text, but it might have too much and it doesn't just make sense like iTunes does, which is why I like Xnippets because it reminds me the most of Apple's programs.

[SNIP]

Here are my questions:

� Which program do you like?
� Can you think of anyone program I might like based on what I told you?
� Are backing this files up easy? I would be concerned about losing my great ideas because they aren't easy to back up like a word document?

Thank you as always for your great help and advice.
I use stickybrain as a general freeform datatbase. The grab text feature as well as the ability to store file references, pictures, etc. makes it a great place to dump things you come across and want to find again. The database hasn't gotten so big that I have had to use the search engine, partly because I tend to organize by categories so I don't have to look at too many files. I also use the titles feature for most stickies, along with heywords so I can search quickly the old fashioned way (visually).

I use omnioutliner for other things -- mostly lists and storing passwords, website memberships etc. It has a very good clear way of presenting things.

Unless you need to hyperlink entries, I would give stickybrain a good trial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules