Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5s starting to hit the Apple Stores..

G5s starting to hit the Apple Stores..
macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 11:32 AM

I just got a call from my local Apple Store (Columbus, OH) that my 1.8 that I had reserved arrived today. Alas, I'm broke at this point in time, so I told them to go to the next person on their list.

Ya'll might want to start checking your local store!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 11:37 AM

Thats the sadest thing I've read today (haven't looked at the news yet.) Your G5 comes, and you don't have the money to get it. Sad, sad.

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 11:42 AM

Bummer.
But he is right. My father was just at the mall and he stopped by the Apple Store to see if the G5's were there.
They had some for sale and some for demo.

Indianapolis, IN Keystone Apple Store

macnnhelpme  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 01:30 PM

Alright, let me rephrase that. I'm not broke. I just don't have a space $2500 laying around for a computer that I don't really NEED at this point.

I'm waiting until Jan-Feb, hoping they'll bump the speed and update the displays. If they really do announce a 30" cinema, I'll be all over that and a G5 dualie.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 02:54 PM

What machines are we talking there? Any dual 2 ghz machines?
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 03:07 PM

businezguy- So far all anyone has seen is the 1.6 or 1.8. Expect the dual 2.0 closer to the end of september.

macnnhelpme  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 03:09 PM

Nope, just 1.6 and 1.8s. No dualies.

Esquare
Aug 27, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by macnnhelpme:
Alright, let me rephrase that. I'm not broke. I just don't have a space $2500 laying around for a computer that I don't really NEED at this point.
So, let me get this straight. You reserved a G5 you didn't need, just for the fun of it? This must be the summit of arrogance!

macnnhelpme  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Esquare:
So, let me get this straight. You reserved a G5 you didn't need, just for the fun of it? This must be the summit of arrogance!

Cut me some slack. I put in my name a couple of days after they were announced. I didn't expect to buy a new car between then and now. No harm no foul, they just went to the next person on the list.

Esquare
Aug 28, 2003, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by macnnhelpme:
Cut me some slack. I put in my name a couple of days after they were announced. I didn't expect to buy a new car between then and now. No harm no foul, they just went to the next person on the list.
Yeah, well. I'm just p1ssed that these beasts aren't available in this part of the world until way into September. And that, when they are available, they won't be able to run Virtual PC for a year.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 11:42 AM

The NYC SOHO store has one 1.6GHz Mac on display. That's it.

macnnhelpme  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Esquare:
Yeah, well. I'm just p1ssed that these beasts aren't available in this part of the world until way into September. And that, when they are available, they won't be able to run Virtual PC for a year.

Just because you're pissed isn't a reason to take a shot at me bub.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2003, 02:48 PM

The Mall of America store has a 1.6 and a 1.8 for demoing and one in the display window. I'm not sure if the one in the window is functional or not. It's just sitting there all lonely-like.

I was able to slow it down by playing music in iTunes and opening every application on the machine. It skipped and was hell to do ANYTHING. It was 90% a RAM issue though. Processor power was at full the whole time, but with only 512MB on one and 768MB on the other, you can't expect to open every app and switch between them flawlessly.

I would LOVE to test that again on a G5 with 8GB of RAM.

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2003, 03:36 PM

The UCLA Store has one 1.6 G5 on display now.

I played with it for a few minutes and wasn't impressed. Then again it only has 256Mb RAM. Trouble is, I can't tell when the hard drive is thrashing because of ambient noise.

I'd wish they put more RAM on display machines. I mean these things are on display to hopefully SELL these things. How are you going to sell the G5s when potential buyers come in and play with it and find it sluggish (because of lack of RAM)?

joe40
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2003, 04:45 PM

Saw the G5 1.6 at Tice's Farm AppleStore in WoodCliff Lake NJ last night. They were kind enough to call me and tell me in was in for me to come and see and touch and PLAY !
They had a 1.6 and a 1.8 to sell and both were sold by noon.
I took some snapshots with GRAB of the ABOUT THIS MAC Info window. Specifically it says the OS X System version is 10.2.7 G5 (Build 6S75). I ran some "tests". Ripped a CD at about 10x. Dropped down to about 6x while running a QuickTime movie.
Quicktime Movies displayed FULL SCREEN showed no skipping, hestitation, pixelation or other anamolies that are not-good.
I copied a 400+ MB file on the desktop.
It took about 45-50Seconds. Tops! This is amazing. The Serial ATA Harddrives with their 150 MB/sec possible are the real sleepers in this system. Wicked fast. The machine is VERY Heavy. SOLIDLY Built.
ALL Aluminum, no plastic on the low-end model as some have guessed. Easy to open. Beautiful inside. VERY QUIET. Fans actually rotate at slow speeds. This machine had 768MB RAM. (2) 128s and (2) 256s. I have also attached a Apple System Profiler Report. There were loads of apps on the machine. Perhaps loaded by the local Apple Store folks. None of the iApps seemed to have updated versions or new/different features. All in all, I can't wait for the next model to come in.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 28, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by joe40:
Ripped a CD at about 10x. Dropped down to about 6x while running a QuickTime movie.
Isn't that pretty low for ripping a CD? I thought the latest batch of Powermac G4s got 20X+.

Forum Links
Forum Rules