Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Audio Recording Software

Audio Recording Software
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 02:26 PM

I need some advice on audio recording software. I plan to record the digital audio output of my DirecTV box. I have heard of Sound Studio, Peak LE, and one from Griffin Technology. What would be my best option without spending a lot of money. I have a Quicksilver 800 with a 120GB hard drive and an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card. I am running OS X. Thanks

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2003, 03:07 PM

There are a few good shareware options. Amadeus and Cacaphony spring to mind. They are very inexpensive, yet capable.

PJ G4  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the reply to my post. Now I have several options to record audio on my G4.
The list includes the following: Audacity, Peak LE 4, Amadeus, Cacophony, and Sound Studio.
What are the differences between them. I am mainly interested in recording audio from CD's, MiniDisc, and the radio channels on DirecTV. I do not plan to change the sound source. I would like to know the bit rate and sampling rate of the source. I also would like to use a form of compression such as AAC or whatever would give the greatest fidelity. I have a 120GB hard drive on my G4 so file size is not that important. I later plan to transfer some of the files to an iPod. Is it possible to record streaming audio like from live365.com on the above mentioned software or do I need another software for that. Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for the great advice. If any of you have any further information please e-mail me at [email protected]

tr
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2003, 04:28 PM

you might also want to check out Spark ME. it's a free (with registration) cut-down version of the pro app Spark. as for the compression, you can just take the stuff you recorded and compress it in iTunes.

tr

york28
Senior User
Sep 6, 2003, 02:19 AM

I really like Amadeus II. It has tons of features, it pretty cheap ($25), and the author has excellent support.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Forum Links
Forum Rules