Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Year of the Powerbook?" Yeah, right.

"Year of the Powerbook?" Yeah, right.
iWrite
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 07:39 AM

As many of you know who remember my posts here and there, I'm not impressed with Apple's "Year of the Powerbook" proclamation -- especially when the Titanium sticks out like a sore thumb between the two other aluminum models and Apple seems to have absolutely no real release date for a forthcoming 15-inch UPDATED model -- aluminum or otherwise.

I see that other people agree with me.

Read here.

The "year" is about 3.5 months away from being over and needless to say, Apple is not the standout winner this year.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2003, 08:42 AM

1. Year of the Redundant Thread, I'd call it.

2. It was "Year of the Notebook" anyway.

3. The 17" is a hell of a model.

4. Start whining again after September 16.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 01:29 PM

Sure. I've been whining since LAST September 16th so what's another year?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

It's been a long time since we've had this much choice in notebooks (I remember when it was either the Pismo or the clamshell iBook. Period. And before that, all we had was the Wallstreet.) Now we have three pro notebooks and two consumer notebooks. Seems pretty terrific to me.

ibulldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2003, 01:53 PM

Going back to the PB 190, I believe, up through the 3400c, Wallstreet, Pismo, ibook, 15 inch PB and now 12 inch PB, the evolution has been wonderful for me. Sure I want quicker updates, but the chronic whining on these and other message boards is akin to what you would hear in a daycare.

Get original already.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 02:13 PM

The Pismo was the best notebook ever made -- and Apple kept updating it every few months.

Someone tell me something, please? How long has the Titanium G4 1Ghz been out?

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 02:16 PM

I found the answer myself here.

It's been out since November 6th, 2002.

Two months short of a year.

That means that Apple has not updated their 15-inch notebook for about a YEAR.

That's pretty lame by any standards -- let alone Apple's standards of the past.

Esquare
Sep 6, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:

The Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet-Pismo) existed for almost 3 years, with some modifications. So the TiBook, introduced in January 2001, looks like having just about the same lifespan. Nothing special there.

EE

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2003, 06:12 PM

Funny, according to www.everymac.com the Pismo was introduced February 16th 2000 and was discontinued January 9, 2001. The current situation is hardly unusual.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2003, 06:35 PM

And I've been using it since Dec. 2002, three months short of a year.

Wow! Has it been that long? Time flies when you're having fun.

And my recent free upgrade to 2X DVD-R doesn't hurt either.

AHDuke99
Sep 6, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Funny, according to www.everymac.com the Pismo was introduced February 16th 2000 and was discontinued January 9, 2001. The current situation is hardly unusual.
But the difference between that update and the current situation is that the update in january was the January 2001 was the G4 PB over the G3, if Apple releases a G5 PB at Paris then this delay would be forgivable.

khufuu
Sep 6, 2003, 08:04 PM

I think we should hold off judgment until mid Sept. After that, we can string 'em up.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 09:00 PM

iWrite last I heard you didn't use macs anymore. Also as someone said why do you feel the need too open up another one of these *** forsaken "year of the powerbook hogwash" threads. First off the year of the powerbook is a name that steve gave his plan to sell 40% laptops by the end of this year. If you ask me I was a fool for waiting as long as I did. Right now I am holding in my hand my practically free iPod. Furthermore on monday my new powerbook is coming. Considering you had posted once before that you like PCs better or something of that sort (not exactly sure what it was just know im close) your opening this thread almost to start something. A lot of people I understand are getting tired of waiting, but you know what this has nothing to do with the year of the powerbook. Why because steve didnt tell us it was. When at the San Fran Expo did Steve tell everyone "Hey in 6 months we are updating the PowerBooks". Also another thing that really ticks me off lately. Now I don't too sound like a jerk but the realization hit me too when i bought my powerbook. Just take this into consideration is all I ask (Don't you think your being selfish). Think about all the accomplishments Apple has made this year. Why just today I went into CompUSA and in our little corner of the store their were more people admiring the G5 than I have ever seen before. I have never seen so many people over their. If you haven't noticed Steve is a smart guy, and he seems to be reaching out to many PC users. I also overheard (Ok Ease Dropped) a PC dude talking to the Apple guy that works their about switching. He walked out with a brand new TIBook. This is a true story. He walked out with a brand new TIBook. Also another family had come in while I was looking at cases for my powerbook, and walked out with an iBook. Two people bought PowerBooks today. Their were more people over their looking too. At least 10 people in the little city of Rochester. If this is the case everyday Apple is doing a good job reaching out to people. The reason I called some of you selffish is because a lot of people that used the G4 towers and G3 Towers or lower wanted a better machine. All of us here know this is true. Apple has done an excellent job working hard to get those towers out to these people. I think it is excellent because I expected it too take longer like 2 months longer because of technical problems. This was not the case at all. Let the desktop users get the glory. Also I wouldn't worry either because im sure Apple has a G5 powerbook in are future. I wouldnt be surprised if this January they updated the iBook, and the PowerBooks at once. Anderson said it himself they have sold tons of laptops. Waiting and repeating the same topic over and over again I found just causes you to get anxiety over it. Just let it go, and either wait or buy now. I bet no matter what way you do it you will be happy. Once again this is my 2 cents on this whole situation. I am not perfect here myself, I couldnt stop reading the rumor sites either and stuff. I have noticed every time the apple store closes someone posts a new thread on all the mac forums which gave me a good chuckle. I think we all just need to relax.

///////POSTEd BY iWRITE///////////////
The Pismo was the best notebook ever made -- and Apple kept updating it every few months.

Ya thats your opinion, and apples update cycle then is not apples update cycle now. Obviously a fool could even see that. This is more whining then it is making a point. Get over it things change.

I bet we are all in for a big surprise. We all know it could be Motorolas fault too. If the ladder is the case its not apples fault. We also know they could be too busy releasing the G5 to worry about the G4 PowerBook. Also they might want to save money, and hold the current line up for as long as it sells good. Just becasue they can limit the amount of revisions before the major G5 revison or whatever they plan to do next.
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Sep 6, 2003 at 09:06 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 09:09 PM

Icruise hit it on the spot too. If the year of the notebook means anything else its this. Apple has never had a larger selection of notebooks so people can bang their heads against the wall trying too pick the best one for them. Having all these choices is helping the laptop sales a lot.

iWrite says he was whining sense september 16th and his post before that states that he isnt impressed with apples year of the notebook. G I thougth we didnt hear about the year of the notebook until January. Give it a rest iWrite I mean really.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 09:30 PM

LfGrdMike:

I don't read anything you write -- it's SO long and the wordsarealltogetherandit'slikereadingthissentenceb lahblahblah...

Ever hear of a thing called a paragraph?

Anyway, "after September" comments are stupid also.

I remember, "The Powerbook is coming in June." Then it was July. Then it was ABSOLUTELY August. Now it's September.

Mental masturbation is all it is.

Apple will probably be sold to IBM or something.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2003, 10:26 PM

Ok, iWrite that was lovely. Also there was no solid proof at all that they were coming in any of the months you have listed. Get over it man. You totally missed my point. It doesn't matter I don't really care. I�m just going to forget this and help people, and get information from other threads on the MacNN forum. If you would like to come here and whine about a company that has made significant progress this year be my guest. I am sure you will have a very intuitive comment about what I just said next. You make sure to post one cause I am not going to read it. Go use your PCs or whatever, and stop coming here and bashing Apple. If they arent good enough for you then just use your PC and stop coming here.

Also if your still believing those rumor sites your a fool. Most of us are now taking what we read on the rumor sites with less than a grain of salt.

Now your whining about my writing so what its a little close together, and I didn't separate it. Its not like im writing what I said for a grade, and get your eyes checked. Its a freaken message board not a term paper.

What about your PC are you still using that?

Your comment about masturbation was most mature also.
I don't care what you say you didn't have to use that particular word. Although you did anyway
( Last edited by LfGrdMike; Sep 6, 2003 at 10:35 PM. )

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2003, 11:13 PM

I hate to add to this deteriorating thread, but just want to add my voice to those criticising the topic.

In January when Steve Jobs presented two brand new kick-ass PowerBooks he made a comment that this would be the year of the laptop. I took that to mean "here are two new portables, we expect to sell a lot of portables this year."

In this and other forums, in many threads, people who heard Steve say what he did seem to have heightened expectations of even more killer laptops when (I think) we already have some great ones to choose from.

It'll be nice if we see some kind of speed bump or upgrade to products that are already on the market before the end of the year. Don't be disappointed if it's not what's in your dreams.

MSME
Sep 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

I agree with iDaver. Apple did release to two badass new portables this year, regardless of any delays they're suffering at the present time.

That "Year of the Notebook" comment was one line from the MWSF keynote. What's a Steve Jobs speech without a little hyperbole anyway? Some people are acting like the guy has never exaggerated before. Come on.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2003, 11:41 PM

Whaaa, I think I'll go off myself because Apple doesn't follow my personal release schedule. Good call, say hi to St. Peter for me if you get there first.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2003, 11:54 PM

Did ANYONE actually READ the CNET article?

Here it is.

Notice the part where it shows that Apple is last in all sectors and sales?

Next, I think it's perfectly fine that people continue to use Powerbooks that are 1, 2, or 3 years old -- this discussion is not about them.

This is about Apple as a COMPANY.

APPLE HAS, AT THIS TIME, ONLY 2% MARKET SHARE.

In case you don't know, THAT SUCKS.

Apple, as a company, is a has-been.

I wish that someone would buy Apple outright and leave Steve to run his gig at Pixar. It is very obvious that he has no desire to be involved with Apple. His time is spent at Pixar (as he has said he prefers) and the fact that he doesn't want to show up for Mac expos any longer reinforces that.

He needs to let some new blood run Apple.

He's lost the race.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 12:24 AM

Here it is.

Next, I think it's perfectly fine that people continue to use Powerbooks that are 1, 2, or 3 years old -- this discussion is not about them.

I wish that someone would buy Apple outright and leave Steve to run his gig at Pixar. It is very obvious that he has no desire to be involved with Apple. His time is spent at Pixar (as he has said he prefers) and the fact that he doesn't want to show up for Mac expos any longer reinforces that.

He's lost the race.
You're here why again? Apple provides a niche product. With that, they will NEVER have a majority of market share. Apple provides a very well built and reasonably priced product for the community they cater to. I fail to see the relevance of Dell or HP in such a situation. I recall the days when Sun made laptops, (applicable here). They don't now, why? Because they are a niche product as well (high availability multiprocessing systems is their specialty).

Apple is releasing harware that tests the field to see where they can penetrate. The current operating system invites many possible avenues. And being that they are predominantly in hardware distribution I would think it safe to say that they are probing all possible avenues.

A portable at this point would take backseat but not terribly when considering they want to penetrate the server market with something that is not a rebadged desktop tower.

As for Jobs........... iMac, need I say more? Apple as a company is persuing all options to compete as competently as possible with the 800 pound gorillas.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 12:36 AM

That article says nothing about Apple except that they command 7% of the US notebook market. Respectable, considering their worldwide market for all Macs is apparently less than that.

As for Jobs, I see little that he has done wrong running Apple. I would disagree with some of his marketing decisions but that's for another thread. Apple's biggest problem has and continues to be with their CPU suppliers and they seem to be working on that as well as can be expected; again for another thread.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 12:38 AM

I said I wouldn't post again but iWrite you are wrong. Kampi I couldn't of said it better myself along with others. iWrite screw the market share. Look at the successes of the company. Steve saved apple and all you do is bash him. I think he deserves respect because he is smart and knows what he is doing. Just because your not getting your little portable update doesn't mean steve is moron, or that they need to find somone new to run apple. That is just nonsense. Bunch of hogwash.

Look at the G5, iPod, Powerbook, iBook. These are very succesful lines with apple righ tnow. and screw CNEt they dont know what they are talking about. You can list so many factors that make a good laptop and Apple fits the bill for first or second place at this point. I would vote first place for the PB.

If you have the spunk to sit their and actually mock the company when they are doing very well in a bad economy you really need to know your place. Obviously you dont belong on this message board if this is all you can talk about. Anyway I dont got much to say that kampi didnt cover.

If you don't like Apple then just use PCs and enjoy viruses and everything else. If you want to stay with Apple be proud to use the platform, and of the companies accomlishments, Nothing is perfect and you dont always need to have the latest and greatest. I am sure everyone would agree that windows by microsoft isn't perfect. Although Bill Gates has done great things if you want to belive it or not. Office is a great package for one. Even if thats all I can think of

I can't wait to c what they got in store for us next year.

redJag
Senior User
Sep 7, 2003, 02:43 AM

Apple, as a company, has over a billion dollars in the bank. Apple, as a company, has the most loyal fan base of any computer manufacturer, maybe even software manufacterer. Apple will most likely never be a has-been till after I'm gone (which will hopefully be quite some time seein' as I'm a mere 19).

I agree, the laptops do need an update. Then I could buy one of the currents configs for a steal Also, to be honest, I have absolutely no problem with you posting that you think Apple needs to release updated laptops. It's called market. Supply, demand, the whole bit. You, as a consumer, dictate demand. People get on high-horses a lot, though. Eh.
Travis Sanderson

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 10:17 AM

Apple has over 7% of the laptop market, which may not sound big, but it's a pretty friggin' big market.

This "has-been" company still has about FOUR AND A HALF BILLION $ in the bank, not to mention:
- the very valuable assets of an incredibly well-known brand,
- street cred in the form of the most kickass music device in the music world
- an ever increasing library of software titles at the top of their field, including Final Cut Pro, Shake, and Logic, not to mention the consumer iApps which the likes of Sony can't hold a candle to,
- an OS technologically advanced enough to piddle over non-Unix compliant XP,
- the industrial design brilliance of the G5 and PowerBooks, which WILL be updated soon.

Apple ain't going anywhere other than up!

Anyone who bails on them over a slightly delayed model revision is a quitter.

MSME
Sep 7, 2003, 11:22 AM

If you want to see how Apple is still relevant, just walk into a Best Buy or Circuit City, and look around at their selection of notebooks (not to mention all the lame iPod knockoffs). Almost every interesting feature that I see on PC notebooks was either originated by Apple or is implemented better in Apple's products.

To some extent, Apple innovates at the expense of market share. That's going to make their products more expensive and niche-oriented.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

rcitrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2003, 11:23 AM

Actually they have 4.1 billion in the bank.

That would sure keep me in granola bars for a while!

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 11:48 AM

Is there an option to block having to read iWrite's posts? They're getting more and more erratic.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 12:27 PM

Here it is.

He's lost the race.
This is... what, the 3rd time in a month you've started some flaimbait thread about being unhappy with Apple iWrite?

Honestly, you've turned into a troll.

Firstly, Apple has higher than 2% market share.

EDIT: A better question is, did YOU actually read the CNet article. Direct quote:

"Meanwhile, fifth-place Apple garnered 7 percent of the U.S. market,"
Secondly, just because you jumped ship and started dinking w/ a Vaio (didn't you decide you hated it because of windows viruses etc.?) doesn't mean you should constantly drop by here trying to stir up (the same, contrived) trouble.

We're all VERY well aware of the fact that you're displeased you haven't gotten your new 15" Al yet... now blow it and troll elsewhere please.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by mrmister:
Is there an option to block having to read iWrite's posts? They're getting more and more erratic.
Is there a way to burn iWrite on a steak?

By the way - did someone say new Powerbooks are on their way? LOL.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2003, 01:09 PM

Oh... I feel a rant coming on.

Apple is a company for people who don't follow "the herd". It's the most non-mainstream of all the major computer brands.

It's quite obvious with statements such as:

you, and many others, don't "get it". Apple has a smaller market share because they aren't part of the x86 crowd, it has nothing to do with lack of innovation. They do things the way they want to do them, not in accordance with what the majority of the public is envolved with. Hence, they are a niche product vendor and damned proud of it. If you don't like it, go away.

The Mac isn't a "gaming" machine. If you want that, buy an Alienware, or similar, system. The Mac isn't a budget system, if that's your requirement, buy an emachine. It isn't even a run-of-the-mill PC for Ma and Pa Kettle, they should get a Dell or Compaq.

What a Mac IS, is a powerful multimedia/desktop publishing station for people who demand the best in stability and useability. If a person is not involved in such things, I question their reason for buying a Mac. Those people who bitch about a lack of games on the platform, or complain about wanting more frequent updates, or belly-ache about design issues, probably should have bought a PC. That way they can Quake to their heart's content, deal with the torrid schedule of PC hardware updates, and purchase a box in any color, shape, or design they desire. There's no shame in being in the 96% of computer owners who want those things. PCs simply fit their personalities better. More power to them.

As for the 4-5% of we computer users who aren't bothered by the things I listed, or in fact like to avoid those issues and madness, the Mac is our platform of choice. It fits us.

Here's a clue. One of the reasons the Mac is more stable and more reliable is because it isn't updated as often and the HW is DESIGNED to run the software. What a concept! The computer IS A TOOL... the software IS THE MEANS... and the work we do IS THE RESULT. I, and many others, own computers because they allow us TO WORK BETTER.

I have to admit, I was pretty stoked about getting a dual G5 because it would allow me to take on more projects and get more work done. What I ended up with is a dual 1.42 G4 that far exceeds my present needs, will allow me to do more and better work, for less $. For me, THAT's the name of the game.

What kind of moron would buy a $2500 laptop for browsing the web, checking email, or playing a few games? IMO, many of you people should be buying cheaper PCs to save $ and applying that cash towards better investments. What are a few OS crashes and hardware gliches when there aren't any factors envolving productivity to consider (re. a PC running XP)?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 01:31 PM

I agree completely with the previous rant.

If games are your priority you have no business buying a Mac. Go with a Windows PC and never look back.

If you are into digital photography, video, music, design of any type, programming, scientific research, or pretty much anything that requires an iota of mental thought go with a Mac.

As to laptop market share.. for what its worth I I'm on an airplane just about every week, and well over half (closer to 75% actually) of laptops I EVER see on the airplane or in the airport are Macs.

But that may be because windows laptop owners are to embarrassed to open theirs up?
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Sep 7, 2003 at 01:40 PM. )

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 01:44 PM

Let me add too this. The mac platform is expanding in the game market so what you say is true but I don't agree with some of it. Why the only problem is our games come late, and at most we get the better games ported not the bad ones. So i disagree. I also disagree with your comment about this.

"What kind of moron would buy a $2500 laptop for browsing the web, checking email, or playing a few games? "

A lot of people on here prefer the mac a lot because its an easy machine to use. On top of checking mail and browsing the web you can use the iLife suit of programs. I think you forgot that iLife targets the average consumer. You said that OSX is stable, and your right I never crash myself on it. So the iLife suit is just as good. Some people might do home movies on that 2500 dollar computer you know what I mean. Also when you buy a computer you generally wont buy a new one every year. Instead you would keep it for at least 4 years, or even more.

What I do agree with is that hard core gamers that get pissed off waiting for a hit seller game to get ported should get a Alienware. With Apples new G5s though at reasonable prices if you like macs and can wait for games to be ported then get a mac. Its all about patience. Also some people on PCs are sick of the instability on windows. Why they got not only those problems, but virus problems, and spyware, and tons of other crap. People arent going to put up with that crap anymore. They will look elsewhere, and like I said it my long post. I have noticed that many have. CompUSA's Apple corner has been busier sense the G5 came out. Otherwise I agree with you totally, but you were slightly wrong with a couple things. Of course I might of misunderstood you too. I will never ever use a PC ever. The only time I would is in the workplace. I am more productive on a mac because of its stability, and I am proud to be an apple owner. I also don't mind paying extra money for the better platform. Make sense, and I think a lot of people feel the same. I have never been a windows user, but talk to some switchers. I bet they will tell you they are glad they decided to switch.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
What kind of moron would buy a $2500 laptop for browsing the web, checking email, or playing a few games?
The average user will also probably watch DVDs, write papers, et cetera...

I guess the Apple "kind of moron" then. There are plenty of mac users that will buy a PowerBook for portability and just the fact that it runs OS X. What about iBooks? iBooks don't run OS X adequately enough IMPOV. So are these people morons for buying a $2500 laptop to (for the majority of the time) not use pro applications? If so, I can't wait to be a moron. I buy Macs for the OS, and although I'll use Photoshop, et cetera, from time-to-time, the majority of my computer-usage is web-browsing, communication (email and messaging) and writing.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 01:51 PM

What kind of moron would buy a $2500 laptop for browsing the web, checking email, or playing a few games? IMO, many of you people should be buying cheaper PCs to save $ and applying that cash towards better investments. What are a few OS crashes and hardware gliches when there aren't any factors envolving productivity to consider (re. a PC running XP)?

Ummm. . . I did, I guess I am a moron then.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Ummm. . . I did, I guess I am a moron then.
Yup, me too. I do some heavy-duty work, but for the most part: guess I'm a moron.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2003, 02:12 PM

You're not morons - buy whatever the hell you like!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by I Me Mine:
You're not morons - buy whatever the hell you like!
Thanks We were mostly being facetious, though. Macnstein was just being too quick to judge Mac users.

iWrite  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 02:42 PM

Are you guys STILL posting here?

Are you worked up yet? I see that some of you (a LOT of you) are.

At least the blood is still flowing through your veins!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2003, 03:34 PM

Troll.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
Troll.
Who?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2003, 05:32 PM

Here in LA, Apple have about 80% of the laptop market judging from the people I see using laptops at cafes.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Thanks We were mostly being facetious, though. Macnstein was just being too quick to judge Mac users.
No, I don't feel that I am.

The Mac platform doesn't change as quickly as PCs. It's predominantly designed for people who use computers to work... typesetters, writers, graphics designers, video editors, etc. It's all well and good if someone picks up on Macs because of OS X or because the hardware looks cool. However, if anyone is expecting Apple to start catering to PC "upgraditous", then those folks are sadly mistaken. It's a very different mentality at work here, and those users who don't understand will be disappointed.

Yes, if your computer isn't worth more than the work you're doing on it, you could be cited as being a moron. There are far better investments to be made.

From what I've seen of many users on MacNN, many of them should have stuck with PCs, IMO.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2003, 05:51 PM

iWrite why post a thread if you don't want people posting here?

Yup I buy macs for the quality hardware, and the awesome OS. I am proud of it too.

MacNstein it depends on the person. Some people don't really give a ****. Also Apple makes iLife for the consumer I think I said this already. So I still think you are wrong. They have a lineup that could fit anyone, but its up to you to pick the one that fits you.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 06:11 PM

However, if anyone is expecting Apple to start catering to PC "upgraditous", then those folks are sadly mistaken. It's a very different mentality at work here, and those users who don't understand will be disappointed.

Yes, if your computer isn't worth more than the work you're doing on it, you could be cited as being a moron. There are far better investments to be made.

From what I've seen of many users on MacNN, many of them should have stuck with PCs, IMO.
People judge the value of their own work...

I think you're exaggerating, most mac users could care less about getting all the games. I actually prefer that Apple keeps a small user base. Not so small that it dies, but small enough that it isn't overridden by clowns (Windows has spyware, virii, etc).

Really though, maybe comfortably surfing the internet and listening to music and other processes (not necessarily pro) is worth the extra investment on the user's part to get a Mac and its operating system (which in my opinion and others is more comfortable)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2003, 06:38 PM

People judge the value of their own work...

I think you're exaggerating, most mac users could care less about getting all the games. I actually prefer that Apple keeps a small user base. Not so small that it dies, but small enough that it isn't overridden by clowns (Windows has spyware, virii, etc).

Really though, maybe comfortably surfing the internet and listening to music and other processes (not necessarily pro) is worth the extra investment on the user's part to get a Mac and its operating system (which in my opinion and others is more comfortable)
That's fine, to each their own. However, many people on here (MacNN) forget who the platform is specifically designed for, multimedia professionals and writers.

Macs DO NOT change as quickly as PCs, thus they're better tools for that type of work. That's what they're meant to be and that's what they are. Print shops, publishers, design firms, and studios can't afford to change and "retool" at the rate that x86 PCs typically do. That's one of the reasons Macs have a longer useable life than PCs. They're different, that's just the way it is.
- Thomas Paine

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2003, 07:01 PM

That's fine, to each their own. However, many people on here (MacNN) forget who the platform is specifically designed for, multimedia professionals and writers.
Nonsense. The Mac computer platform is for anyone who can make use of it. You imply that if you're not a publisher, video professional, or whoever "deserves" to use one, you have no business buying a Mac. What an elitist attitude. I've never heard such a bunch of crap.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 7, 2003, 07:33 PM

Who?
You can't figure it out? Posting a thread full of bullshit half-truths and then making fun of people when they get upset about it sounds like trolling to me. And no, I'm not a blind follower of Apple. They're not perfect. But let's criticize what deserves to be criticized.

And MacNStein -- Macs are not only for artists or designers. In fact, I would say that Macs are more suitable than PCs for the majority of people (easier to figure out, easier to maintain, easier to use). It's probably true that if you want the latest video cards or games you'd be better off with a PC, but for the "average person?" I don't think so. It's that kind of thinking that's keeping the Mac a minor player.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2003, 07:35 PM

Macs DO NOT change as quickly as PCs, thus they're better tools for that type of work. That's what they're meant to be and that's what they are. Print shops, publishers, design firms, and studios can't afford to change and "retool" at the rate that x86 PCs typically do. That's one of the reasons Macs have a longer useable life than PCs. They're different, that's just the way it is.
What are you talking about? Explain the iLife applications and simplicity of the OS and how they are aimed towards professionals.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
Nonsense. The Mac computer platform is for anyone who can make use of it. You imply that if you're not a publisher, video professional, or whoever "deserves" to use one, you have no business buying a Mac. What an elitist attitude. I've never heard such a bunch of crap.
No, I'm saying that those things are what the platform is DESIGNED for. The people who aren't in those lines of work seem to be the ones bitching the most about updates and keeping up with peecees (which typically aren't even used for the same types of applications). MOST of the people I know who use Macs keep them for 5-7 years, and they do a damned good job at what they do during that time. The majority of my customers are still happily using machines that run at 300-500MHz. Compare that to a PC that gets tossed after 2-3 years.

So all the people out there whining about how macs are more expensive, are slower to release new products, and are less cooperative with 3rd party developers, can just keep on whining `cause it's not going to change.
It's that kind of thinking that's keeping the Mac a minor player.
Minor player? Hell yeah it's a minor player. It's the king of a niche market and that's the way it works best. I wouldn't have it any other way.
What are you talking about? Explain the iLife applications and simplicity of the OS and how they are aimed towards professionals.
Yes, those products are available. They're great products too. However, that's still not the main aim in regard to the platform. Yes, professionals are who Macs are aimed at. That's not to say it's the only types who should own them, just that those people are Apple's main focus.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules