Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Emailer 2.0v3 Instablility

Emailer 2.0v3 Instablility
shorton
Jan 28, 2000, 10:38 AM

For the past month or more, Claris Emailer 2.0v3 has become unstable unpredictably quitting or crashing (requireing a restart) my Mac. I use local preferences and have replaced those and made sure there is no emailer prefs file in the system prefs folder. I have rebuilt the mail and index databases as well as rebuilt the Mac desktop databases. I reinstalled a new copy of emailer from the installation disks. (Though the address book, destinations, mail actions, locations, services, destinations, schedules and signatures files were copied from their original location to the newly installed folder.)
The crashes vary, type 1 (memory allocation 5000K) type 11, type 13 and others, almost never the sames.

Anyway, it only seems to be happening on my UMAX S900, G3 (newertech), OS9 (occurred with OS 8.6 as well, though), and lots of 3rd party extensions, etc. Everything else about the machine is very stable, only emailer. I use emailer on another machine with OS9 and have not ever seemed to have a problem.

So, perhaps there is a conflict, but being intermittent and unpredictable makes conflict testing difficult at best.

Any suggestions? Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by shorton (edited 01-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by shorton (edited 01-28-2000).]

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2000, 09:08 PM

Try re-installing emailer. Make sure that you don't install directly over your current copy, as you'd lose your mail databases. Instead, install on the root level of your hard disk and drage the new application file into your current Emailer folder.

Worked for me when Emailer started misbehaving.

ed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2000, 05:35 PM

No problems with emailer stability, but I have developed a Y2K problem. Any emails I send via emailer are dated 1944! Any ideas?

shorton  (op)
Jan 29, 2000, 10:42 PM

RE: Y2K. Are you using an AOL account? If so, the problem is with the way AOL's mail system interacts with emailer. There is a resedit fix posted somewhere (maybe http://www.macintouch.com under their Y2K forums, but I'm not sure) that will correct the date issue. If you're not using an AOL account, I don't understand as I haven't seen the problem with POP mail servers.

Dragon34
Jan 29, 2000, 11:24 PM

My emailer also thinks it's 1944. I am not using an AOL account, I'm a college student, and use their services. I'm very confused about this, I thought it was the school's NT server that was screwing up, but I guess it's me. If anyone knows a fix for this problem, please let me know. Thanks

mkbhatia
Administrator
Jan 29, 2000, 11:54 PM

try this link to solve the AOL/Emailer problems:
http://www17.pair.com/macnn/cgi-bin/...ms=emailer+aol

the problems were fixed by AOl on Jan 15.

-m

shorton  (op)
Feb 2, 2000, 10:15 PM

THE ANSWER to my post is:

A conflict with the kensington startup extension (5.3.1). Too bad, as I like to use the mouseworks software. Load order changes did not help and I believe that I have the latest software. This isn't the first time that I've experienced a conflict with Kensington's software. I previously had a problem with unexpected quits of the finder that was solved by forcing the kensington extension to load last. But alas, now I cannot use it and Emailer together.
Bummer ;(

Forum Links
Forum Rules