Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Universal Music lowers cd prices

Universal Music lowers cd prices
businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 08:10 AM

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned. At least I didn't see it mentioned.

Universal is lowering the whole sale pricing of its cds from an average of $12.02 to $9.09. This would bring the high price of a cd down from $19 to around $13. However, Universal is hoping that same of the retailers will bring pricing down to $10 or lower for many cds.

This should have a huge impact on the pricing of music! It's about time we get a retreat on music pricing. They have been gouging prices for years now. By the way, we should begin to see pricing changes in October. Other major labels are expected to follow suit.

You can read the full article here:

Universal caves in
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 03:05 PM

Wow, nobody cares!
20 gig iPOD

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 03:19 PM

If they actually follow through with it all, and it's widespread, not just a select crop of CDs, then I'll be extremely happy

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 03:39 PM

This is superb news . It was on the news here in Belgium, a cd retail store here (Fnac) even said the really hope that this also comes through in Belgium. And I for one really hope so. Even MORE CDs

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 04:04 PM

This is going to be for all cds sold through Universal. They already did it. They say that you'll see the actual benefits of the price decrease in October.

It seems the iTunes Music Store and other methods of download from the Internet helped in this decision. Also, this *is* a bad economy. It's about time they lowered prices!
20 gig iPOD

soul searching
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 04:09 PM

Well, I don't know how much lower prices will get. Universal is lowering their price from $12 to $9 but is asking retailers to lower theirs from ~$19 to ~$13. I'm not sure how many retailers are going to go for this. We'll see in October...

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 10:09 PM

Actually, they are going to limit pricing to UP TO $13 per cd. So cd prices will be significantly lower. They are hoping a lot of retailers will sell for $10 and maybe even less.
20 gig iPOD

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2003, 11:27 PM

I, for one, am extremely excited for this. When I heard about it I went to Universal's website and looked through their catalog of artists. There are some damn fine CDs that I'm gonna have to buy.

As far as I'm concerned, moves like this can only help everybody. Some would cry too little too late, but I don't think so. The entire industry seems to be finding its "internet legs," so to speak. The next year is going to be an interesting one.

gwehr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 11:34 PM

I just checked Universal's website myself and there was precious little there that seemed worthwhile. I counted maybe 3 or 4 decent artists. *shrugs* I guess we'll have to wait for the other labels to fall in line.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 12:32 AM

I'm amazed their original MSRP was so high. I've never bought any CD for $18.98, though I used to see a few at Tower selling for $17.99.

My response to the move, in 4 words:

It's about f**king time.

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 08:58 AM

Here's what has me puzzled. One of the analysts commented that places like Walmart and Best Buy sell their cds for under $10 anyway. I went to both websites and pretty much all of the cds I wanted were over $13.

Where are people finding these sub-$10 prices anyway?

Also, if Walmart is now selling cds for $13.88 (seems to be the going rate for cds from Walmart), are they going to lower their prices by $6? If cds were $8, the amount of cds I will get will increase 4-fold easily.
20 gig iPOD

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Patrick:
I'm amazed their original MSRP was so high. I've never bought any CD for $18.98, though I used to see a few at Tower selling for $17.99.
Most of them sell for about that much at the Sony Gallery and Virgin Mega Store.

Granted, those places are a tourist traps, but they're the closest stores to me that sells CDs.

Thank goodness for Amazon.com, CD Universe, and Buy.com or I'd have to walk long distances to find audio CDs at reasonable prices.

EDIT: And the Borders across the street. It also charges suggested retail price. I need to sleep more.
( Last edited by BasketofPuppies; Sep 9, 2003 at 10:28 AM. )
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

memento
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 12:52 PM

Could this be a result (even peripheral) of the price fixing class action lawsuit maybe? The record companies lost.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules