Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > can my iMac and PB share one iPod?

can my iMac and PB share one iPod?
Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 12:25 PM

if I have a collection on my old iMac on iTunes and I get an iPod can I also plug this into my new Powerbook?

I want to share my music between two macs

I'm just confused on how you can share your songs between multiple computers...

say I use the get a song from iTune's Music Store, I paid my $0.99 - song is now on my iMac does this mean that song can only be played on that iMac and not my PB?

Thanks!
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2003, 12:32 PM

No and no. The iPod can only recognize one computer at a time. You will be prompted to erase the iPod and load the songs on computer B if it already has computer A's music on it.

Naz  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2003, 12:38 PM

wow that is shocking!

thanks for the reply...

so so I guess I have to just copy my songs over to the PB and use my iMac as back-up

Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 12:52 PM

IIRC, you can do this (or something close) if you don't automatically update your iPod. If you manually update the iPod (connected to your iMac), you can then plug it in to your PB (as an external drive) and play the music in iTunes directly off your iPod (it shows up in iTunes as a playlist with the iPod's playlists nested within it). That sounds much more confusing than it really is.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 11, 2003, 01:44 PM

Yeah, if you have your iPod set to manually update, you can just listen to the music on it with your powerbook. The only thing is that it won't update the play counts and so forth the main machine when you play things on the iPod, since you're not really syncing them.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2003, 07:48 PM

There's an app called iPod.iTunes that willdo what you want

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2003, 11:28 PM

On the iTunes Music Store question, you can authorize up to 3 computers (I believe). So you can authorize your iTunes on your PB with your account and any ITMS songs you copy over will still be playable in iTunes on your PB.

As far as the iPod goes, everyone is right, you can connect it to a second machine, tell it not to overwrite and set it to manual mode. You can even copy songs on to it from the second machine, but when you sync the iPod with your main machine, they will be deleted.

-b

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2003, 11:34 PM

get a program called PodWorks. Its great in that you can extract music off your iPod w/ ease and add it to your PB in afew seconds, but if you have it on manual you should also be able to play music from teh iPod to the PB anddd upload songs from the PB to the iPod...but not vice versa.

Forum Links
Forum Rules