Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > who's using a Linksys wireless router?

who's using a Linksys wireless router?
spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 05:57 PM

i was just wondering who's running a linksys wireless g router instead of the apple airport extreme?

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=508

that's the link to the unit of which i speak
so many folks say that the linksys is FAR SUPERIOR to the apple unit, though not as stylish, of course

greg

jia_zhuang
Sep 14, 2003, 06:31 PM

I'm using the Buffalo AirStation and its my first WiFi Base station. Anyone know how good this unit is compaired to Apples Airport BS???

spalding12  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 06:34 PM

read any review of wireless basestations and the apple airport extreme comes out a loser in every way:
1. cost
2. effective range

ok.... it's #1 in style but little else

why is that?

greg

Sakino
Senior User
Sep 14, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by spalding12:
read any review of wireless basestations and the apple airport extreme comes out a loser in every way:
1. cost
2. effective range

ok.... it's #1 in style but little else

why is that?

greg
Then what is the suggest 802.11g router?

Darksider
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2003, 07:06 PM

I just helped my girlfriend install a linksys wireless G router today. I would only get it if you don't like drilling holes through ceilings.

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2003, 07:55 PM

I use a Linksys Wireless router at home. I originally bought it for use with my IBM TP, but when I got sick of Windozzzz I bought a Powerbook G4. To my surprise my PB saw the Linksys right away and boom I was surfing. Took me 30 minutes to get my Windows/IBM to see it.

Nothing more frustrating then "Your computer has experienced a serious unknown error"

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2003, 10:45 PM

You might also take a look at the Netgear WGR614. I got one to replace my graphite ABS and it works very well as long as I don't try to use the beta 1123 firmware. It's also much more stylish than the LinkSys. Another advantage is that Netgear officially supports Macs, whereas LinkSys doesn't.

bfurtado
Sep 14, 2003, 10:51 PM

I'm still waiting for my PB 12" (It's my first mac!). Anywhoo, I had a airport extreme card (802.11g) card put in and my Linksys router is 802.11b. Now I know G wifi is backwards compatible but throw apple into the mix. I hope I don't have too much of a headache.

Brian

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
I'm still waiting for my PB 12" (It's my first mac!). Anywhoo, I had a airport extreme card (802.11g) card put in and my Linksys router is 802.11b. Now I know G wifi is backwards compatible but throw apple into the mix. I hope I don't have too much of a headache.

Brian
I have that same setup (down to the exact detail as it being my first Mac). It works with no headache.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 04:03 AM

I am, it's just cheaper to buy than Apple Ex, plus, it works just as nice. I have no problem with it. My cable service does go down from time to time, but it's the service, not the Linksys.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 10:02 AM

I've been using my Linksys for a number of months without any problems. The signal strength is always as strong as I'd need for it to be throughout my two-story home. (The router itself is in an upstairs office).

I have nothing to compare it to, however, as this is my first wireless in my own home. I just know that it suffices my needs flawlessly.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

mosch
Sep 15, 2003, 10:42 AM

i've used the linksys routers at several friends houses without issue with my PB12. Personally, I bought apple equipment, because it has some features I wanted (ability to act simultaneously as an AP and a bridge, and the ability to dial-in to my home network in particular). If you won't use these features, the linksys is a perfectly functional unit.

If you will use the extra features the Apple offers, then it actually becomes a money-saving unit.

cambro
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 10:43 AM

My uncle runs a Linksys wireless B router hooked up to a cable modem.
It works great with the Ti PB's I've tried on it (his and mine). Configuration is easy through any browser at the standard IP address. Signal strength is very good, even on the Ti's.

Good luck.

p.s. Linksys's official support for Apple hardware is pretty bad. For example, in order to upgrade the firmware for the basestation, I think you have to use Windows. Why that is the case is beyond me.

p.p.s. Why do you need G? Most ISP's will never offer the bandwidth they are capable of anyway. G is best for intranets, IMO, or really smoking T1+ lines.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 11:08 AM

I have the linksys b router and a booster. The thing is awsome.

You dont need everything apple t oget your mac to work. That is the beauty. Apples will work with most brands (even if the are not technicly suposed to, like the bluetooth MS mouse).

If you can use a router upstaris and downstairs with no booster then you are doing VERY well. Ask anyone with wireless experience and they will tell you the average router has limited distance

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by cambro:
For example, in order to upgrade the firmware for the basestation, I think you have to use Windows. Why that is the case is beyond me.
If they're like the wired routers, all you need is a TFTP client that supports authentication, such as MacTFTP Client.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 12:15 AM

We have a linksys wireless in our house and IMO it f***** sucks. I have an older TiBook, and I know the antenna are not as good as on some of the newer books, but the linksys just plain sucks compared to an AE basestation (like at my parents home). It connects and disconnects whenever it feels like it, i have to move my comp to the very corner of my desk in my room to get reception sometimes, and even then it can go from a 3bar signal to nil several times in a minute. Try that while talking on iChat and it is enough to motivate you to kill someone. I would suggest finding a better router. We just got this one because it was cheap, and we are all poor college kids. Plus my room mates all use the crappiest PCs you can imagine, (like those $900 dells with the "free" 600x480 resolution flatpanels...) So i could not persuade them to go in on an AE basestation. We are all suffering now.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

jade408
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 12:34 AM

airport base station allows you to plug in a printer (or use dial up) which is one of the major reasons it is more expensive.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by cambro:

p.s. Linksys's official support for Apple hardware is pretty bad. For example, in order to upgrade the firmware for the basestation, I think you have to use Windows. Why that is the case is beyond me.

This is not the case. You need a program called mactftp on versiontracker. Works like a charm. Also what does "no mac support" mean. Apples hardware uses same standreds as everyone else. Appletalk isnt routed on the wlan port, but appletasl isnt used in 0SX"

p.p.s. Why do you need G? Most ISP's will never offer the bandwidth they are capable of anyway. G is best for intranets, IMO, or really smoking T1+ lines.

This is true if you only have 1 computer in your house, if you have 2 or more, 54g is a godsend when sending files from machine to machine, b is just too slow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules