Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Student ADC Program & PB

Student ADC Program & PB
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 04:19 PM

My ADC Student membership runs out in a month so I'm looking to purchase a new powerbook at my discount before this runs out. Does anyone know if I use the hardware purchase asset and then let it run out and say subscribe a year later, do I get another hardware discount asset? Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

sworthy
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2003, 04:39 PM

Nope, unfortunately the hardware discount is once per lifetime

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 04:11 PM

Yep once in a lifetime. My once in a lifetime 17" pb I am typing on is sweet. And at a 700 dollar savings, can't go wrong with that

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2003, 05:08 PM

i am from Canada..

what is a ADC..?

lates...

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
i am from Canada..

what is a ADC..?

lates...
ADC = Apple Developer Connection

There are several program levels, including Online [free, limited] and Student [$99/year]. The student program includes a once per lifetime hardware discount (20%).

It's available in Canada too...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2003, 07:30 PM

ADC is a group of Apple Developers that get great benefits upon joining, and although joining is expensive for most, you can get these benefits for only $99 if you're enrolled in a college even part time, regardless of class load or class scheduling. One of the greatest benefits is a one-time 20% off discount on the purchase of an Apple computer & Apple accessories. Here's how you can join:

"Just go to http://connect.apple.com and select "Join" to purchase a Student Membership. Put a Student Membership in your cart and "Check-Out". Pay your $99, fill out all the info. it asks (including your Student ID [many universities, including my own, simply use your Social Security # as your ID, so if you're unsure, check into it first] at your college, this is very important), and order it. You'll then be instantly ready to purchase via the Student Discount. You do so by heading HERE and click that banner that says "ADC Hardware Purchase Program" to enter the ADC Store. Wowww look at the pretty prices!

Okay, after you're through gawking, get to ordering! Just put whatever you want in your cart, and make absolute *SURE!* you get everything you need, because once the order is placed, that discount is FOREVER gone, regardless of what you "forgot" to order at the time of purchase. Too, many things in accessories won't be discounted, as it's the Apple-made hardware that's discounted. For instance, a Microsoft mouse will be the same price through the ADC store as the normal one, so don't be shocked, only Apple stuff is discounted, but even the small things like Power Adapters, batteries, etc. are discounted if made by Apple.

Then, place your order, give them your name, shipping info., credit card info., etc. and you're set! Things will begin to ship as they become available. In about a week or two you'll get an email from Apple requesting a FAX from you to them with your College letter of Acceptance (original, no copies) OR your current Class Schedule from your University, PLUS your Student ID card or Driver's License. Also, if you want to type out a page stating your full name, address, and your ADC Membership Confirmation Number (that'll be included in the email they'll send you after you've paid your $99 to confirm that you're in) and fax that page too, it speeds up there confirmation process. Once that's in to Apple, they won't email you telling you it's done, but keep a check on your account at connect.apple.com, and you'll see your Assets (ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailings) become updated w/ a current date, which will be the date they confirmed you after your faxes. This confirmation of faxes allows them to start sending your monthly mailings of free code, free info., free t-shirts, free programs, etc. for a one-year period (very cool stuff!). After that one-year, you can renew for $99 for another year, and you'll continue to get all your monthly goodies, but you will NOT ever receive another 20% discount, even with renewing. That discount is for joiners only, unfortunately, so use it very wisely!"

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to help!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

veganpower88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2003, 11:14 PM

Yep once in a lifetime. My once in a lifetime 17" pb I am typing on is sweet. And at a 700 dollar savings, can't go wrong with that

purpleblood
Sep 14, 2003, 11:51 PM

Ok here are my questions, I bought a 1ghz tibook 10 months ago from the apple education store since I am a college student, and I just sold it to my mother and I am looking to get a new powerbook on tues. If I subsribe to ADC tonight I will be able to have the discount on the computer tomorrow? Even though I havent confirmed everything with apple? Also since I am under my year and technically your only allowed one educational purchase per year will I be even be able to buy a computer at the ADC price or have to wait 2 more months? Assasyn if you could clear those up for me it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the help guys as always.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 01:02 AM

I will purchase the student ADC on tuesday if there are new PBs. If not, I will just wait until there is. But if new PBs are introduced, then I could cash in on the $200 off an iPod and $100 off a printer offer (then sell them both for a profit!!)

I have no interest in being a deveoloper. I just want to pay as little as I can being that my wife and I are both college students.

My only hang up is 12" or 15."
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
I will purchase the student ADC on tuesday if there are new PBs. If not, I will just wait until there is. But if new PBs are introduced, then I could cash in on the $200 off an iPod and $100 off a printer offer (then sell them both for a profit!!)

I have no interest in being a deveoloper. I just want to pay as little as I can being that my wife and I are both college students.

My only hang up is 12" or 15."
Make sure to read the fine print. Sometimes takes as much as 4-6 weeks for them to verify student status for ADC membership. Also you can't get the same educational deals with ADC (ie no back to school bundle with ipod and rebate like educational store)
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 01:55 AM

is it 99$/year or a one time fee? or can you just subscribe once, get the discount and cancel it for the second year??

hm..getting to the the canadian price list seems to be a little more complicated. how does canadians get the discounted prices?
( Last edited by Ryan1524; Sep 15, 2003 at 02:02 AM. )
Ryan

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by purpleblood:
Ok here are my questions, I bought a 1ghz tibook 10 months ago from the apple education store since I am a college student, and I just sold it to my mother and I am looking to get a new powerbook on tues. If I subsribe to ADC tonight I will be able to have the discount on the computer tomorrow? Even though I havent confirmed everything with apple? Also since I am under my year and technically your only allowed one educational purchase per year will I be even be able to buy a computer at the ADC price or have to wait 2 more months? Assasyn if you could clear those up for me it would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the help guys as always.
First off, as soon as you pay your $99 via credit card to become a Student ADC member, you're *immediaitely* eligible to use your ADC Discount. The order will be placed & then you'll need to fax in your info. ASAP so it can actually be pushed from a placed order to an order in progress. I placed my order the same day (2 hours later) after paying my $99 and Apple had cleared my info. within a week (I faxed it same day also). Also, Education orders and ADC orders are totally different, thus you won't have to wait 2 months, you can order as soon as you pay your $99.

Hope this helps...feel free to ask any other Q's!

And to answer Ryan1524's Q, you can pay your $99, use the Discount, and NOT pay your $99 renewel fee the 2nd year and it's totally legal and fine.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

purpleblood
Sep 15, 2003, 05:31 AM

well then, it looks like I am going to have to order the student ADC membership on tuesday when the new ones are introduced. I guess I will pickup an ipod as well and some other apple produced things at 20% off. Lets see here so if the computer is $3,000 and the ipod is $500 then I could get them both for $2800 instead of $3500, not too shabby at all. Well minus a hundred as well from the membership costs, but I think I can manage that

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 11:13 AM

Awesome...I sure hope the PB line is updated for ya!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

phabfive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 01:14 PM

They are tighter than they used to be earlier this year.

I was able to order immediately and just pay the 150 fee for joining. I simply put in my old BU ID and it wasn't immediately verified.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
According the T&C:
6. Participants in the ADC Hardware Purchase Program agree not to resell or otherwise transfer any items
purchased for a period of at least one year from the date of shipment, and agree that all equipment ordered
under the ADC Hardware Purchase Program will be used only for the purpose of developing software and/or
hardware products that will be sold for use with Apple products.

Rowen
Sep 15, 2003, 02:34 PM

Hmm, looks like its time to learn how to program...

Web-Developer there you go, that works right?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
According the T&C:
Yada yada, they never check. You can be enrolled part-time in spacial angelican studies and have no interest in being a developer at all and still get the discount. They still profit.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Poncho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 03:14 PM

One more thing: You can't order 2 Powerbooks oder 1 Powerbook and one Desktop. Also I think you can't order one Powerbook and one Display.
Only one complete system is possible to be ordered. And stuff like ipods etc. of course. Right AssassyN ?

jojobe99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2003, 03:47 PM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get the bundle discount (portable, iPod, Printer.) at the "real world" Apple store. If so, I will go to the New Hampshire store and get it there and save even more $$$ by not paying sales tax.

purpleblood
Sep 15, 2003, 04:26 PM

good question for Assayn, can you buy a portable and say a 23" HD Cinema at the same time and get that 20% discount? if so, mmmmmmm

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 05:16 PM

To answer the past 3 Q's:

You cannot buy 2 laptop systems w/ the ADC Discount.

You CAN buy a laptop & a desktop w/ the ADC Discount.

You CAN buy a laptop & any single Apple Display w/ the ADC Discount.

You CAN buy a laptop, desktop, AND any single Apple Display w/ the ADC Discount.

You basically just can't buy 2 of any major items, but one of things is fine...you also get the 20% off on all Apple accessories purchased at the same time like the AE Base Station, Apple DVI-to-ADC Adapter, etc.

And you CAN get the "Buy a Bundle, Save a Bundle" deal through in-store purchases, however, realize this bundle is EDUCATION affiliated and NOT ADC affiliatied, thus you'll need to present your college ID in the store.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

purpleblood
Sep 15, 2003, 05:28 PM

Assasyn, why did you have to tell me this? I think I will have to get a 12" albook, a dual 2ghz G5, and a 23" HD Cinema Display, and yeah and maybe one of those special edition ipods that are supposed to come out tomorrow. So I am looking at around $1200 savings, holy moly moly moly

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 05:59 PM

Hehe, I used my ADC Discount earlier this year on a 17" PB, 23" HD Cinema Display, AE Base Station, DVI-to-ADC Adapter,etc...

Make sure to take advantage of it, it's once in a lifetime!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

purpleblood
Sep 15, 2003, 06:20 PM

Nice pickup Assassyn, what do you do with all that power? Do I need that dvi adapter if I want to hook up my portable with those Cinema displays?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 06:32 PM

I actually sold the 17" PB for a more mobile 12" PB and a Dual G4 PowerMac & picked up a 17" Display for a dual display setup in my dorm.

And the current 12" PBs cannot connect to Apple displays, however if your Apple portable has DVI-out, you'll NEED that adapter to connect them to an Apple display.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

purpleblood
Sep 15, 2003, 06:55 PM

nice setup Assassyn, do you have an aim account by chance or some way of me being able to ask you questions besides over this? Didnt you break some apple laws by selling that 17"? Let me know
peace

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 09:02 PM

You're not *supposed* to sell ADC purchases within a year.

If you have other specific Q's, email me at triggahappydude *at* excite.com (of course, replace the word "at" with @).
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules