Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any 12" PB Pros out there?

Any 12" PB Pros out there?
MacB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:00 AM

I ordered the updated 12"pb. I went and saw the new 15" and I have to say, I am totally torn....there are definately pros and cons either way....the 12" seems more personal, almost like my little assistant. the 15" is way cool with that keyboard and all....the guy at the store said down the road I would be glad if I got the 15"....anyone out there wish they waited for the 15" updates or is there a rabid 12" cult following out there?

sbdaigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:22 AM

I am in your shoes MacB, but I think that I got some really good advice from Justin. Here is his email to me:

�I've been using a 12" for my main computer since February, and a 12" iBook before that. I have no problems with the 12" screen - it would be nice to have more, but the pure portability of the machine makes up for it. It's really "tossable". =)

I browse, check mail, and chat, but I also use iMovie, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and the MS Office suite. The only one that feels a bit cramped is Dreamweaver - but once you get rid of the Site window, it's alright.
I have it maxed out with RAM and an 80GB drive and it's like, the perfect laptop. I routinely get 4-4.5 hours of battery life with the screen dimmed and airport ON.

I'd say check it out in person to make sure if it's right for you. I was thinking about moving to a new 15" Aluminum, but the added size and weight is just not worth the increase in screen size. Plus the reports of poor battery life are a big minus!�

So, the bottom line is what you are going to do with it. My hesitation is the heat issue of the rev.a and hoping that it fixed in the rev.b - but you know, even that is something that most people just seem to get used to. I remember when I got my TiBook, the fan would come on and drive me crazy, I never heard the fan on my Pismo, but now, it is part of my computing life.

I believe that I am going to go with Justin�s advise, portability is something that I am looking for, and if it doesn�t work out, well, if we hang in there a year - the G5 will be out and we can go 15 then!

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 10:22 AM

i almost bought a 12" portable for using at college but some of the reviews said the low L2 cache and only 640 max ram was a big performance drawback so I didn't bother. Now with the new 12" i was more tempted untill I looked at the specs of the new 15".

The 1.25 GHz 15" gives me the best of both worlds, a desktop replacement (I currently have a 466 tower) and a portable which I can take to college. Its also a bit more upgradable than the 12".

I'm going to order the 15" tomorrow, unless portability is a major issue I reccomend you go for the 15". Do you own another mac?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by MacB:
I ordered the updated 12"pb. I went and saw the new 15" and I have to say, I am totally torn....there are definately pros and cons either way....the 12" seems more personal, almost like my little assistant. the 15" is way cool with that keyboard and all....the guy at the store said down the road I would be glad if I got the 15"....anyone out there wish they waited for the 15" updates or is there a rabid 12" cult following out there?
My personal take:

The only useful laptop is the one you have with you.

The 12" is *tiny*. I take it everywhere, even in the apartment.

The monitor is small, mind you, but at home, you can hook up a large screen, and the small size is key for portability.

I should mention, though, that I stepped up from a G3 iMac, so I was already used to 1024x768 screen res.

-s*

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 10:37 AM

This exact question was asked and totally answered for ya here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ight=powerbook

Oh, btw, I see you're new here...WELCOME!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

neill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 10:50 AM

Yeah, there's definitely a 12" cult out there - the small size makes people attach to it as they can carry it everywhere, just like a notebook (you know the ones with paper), "tossable" was the perfect description. Good batterylife is also great if you'll use it "on the road".

I longed for a 12" for eight months but decided to go for a 15" albook instead as I now can afford it. I feel that I'll need the extra screen space as I use InDesign and Photoshop, watch TV and DVDs. It will be my only computer for years to come. I live small, don't have much space and I see a point in not having to use an extra screen as I would have had with the 12".

It was sort of a tough choice but I played around with a friends tibook and that convinced me - I love the screen. And I love what I've seen of the 15" albook.

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2003, 10:56 AM

from what i've heard the quality of the new 15" screen is much better than the 12", i've owned a ibook before and the screen wasn't the best.
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

MacB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 12:09 PM

This will be my only mac and I have no immediate plans on getting or using an external monitor. I will use it as my primary, but I do have a dell.

it is such a split decision.....i think someone just needs to make up my mind for me!

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 12:23 PM

the GOOD news is... that you can't go wrong with either one
the 12" or the 15"
they are BOTH terrific marvels of engineering and you will be happy with either.... and will adapt to whatever comes home with you

greg

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 12:27 PM

For you, I'd recommend the 15" if it's your only machine. If you can get an external monitor (preferably a nice Apple LCD), or have another workstation, then I would get a 12", which I have.

US$.02

TiUser
Sep 22, 2003, 12:43 PM

It really depends on how much "portability" you want. I had originally wanted to replace my Ti400 with the rev. B 12" for its "portability". When I saw the new Al 15" and that amazing screen, I knew I had to reassess my needs for portability. I take my PB to work everyday. The computer literally goes from the desk in my home office to the desk at work. I commute by car and walk with the computer in my Cargo bag (sfbags) for short distances. I do occasionally check email and surf the web in wireless enabled places. I realized that "my" needs for portability did not necessitate a smaller laptop. Finally, I used my wife's iBook for a week and I just couldn't get used to the smaller screen. I bought the 1.25 MHz SD model and couldn't be happier. Assess your need for portability and decide which one suits your better.

MacB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2003, 12:46 PM

I know the 15's are real hot right now, but since the intro of the 12"pb this year, it has been at or near the top all year long. You are right, you just cant lose either way. The 12 pb just seems to fit my hands perfect, my typing seems quicker. I was on the 15 and goofing around with it for 20 min or so and think "yeah this is what I should do..." then I would go over to the 12" for 20 mins or so and think....graphics are sharp, this is neat....so small, so personalble...i just feel like i could take it with me everywhere if i needed to....and not that the 15 is huge compared to the 12, but something about it just does not make me feel like I can pick up and go with it as much....does that sound strange?

It is hard to compare when then new 12s are not out yet, does anyone know if the new 5200 nvidia is going to be awesome compared to the old chip?

the 12" seems like it could be a real companion, and the 15 seems like it could be the desktop replacement.....sound strange?

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
My personal take:

The only useful laptop is the one you have with you.
Hmmm... that sounds familiar. (For those who don't get it, check my signature.)

Even though I'm a die-hard subnotebook fan, the new 15-inch AluBook has given me second thoughts about picking the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook. I won't make my choice until I can see and touch both PowerBooks side-by-side. But there are three main reasons I'm more likely to pick the 12-inch:

1. You can't beat the 12-inch's small size and weight
2. Price (I can afford the SuperDrive in the 12-inch, but not in the 15-inch)
3. I (will soon) already have a dual-input 17" LCD (to share with a Wintel box)

Other advantages of the 12-inch:
4. longer battery life
5. Rev.B instead of Rev.A (more reliable)
6. all ports on one side (better for a dock)
7. optical drive on side, not front

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2003, 01:49 AM

It might help you to know that I am going from a Ti 800 to the new 12. The big issue for me is portability because, like others who have posted, my PB is my on the road work machine. It goes from my house to my office and into my classroom and back again. On top of this, I recently moved and now walk to work which is great, except I'm getting tired of lugging the extra weight.

So out with the old Ti and in with the new AL.

Am I worried about the screen space? Nope. I have an original Cinema display (no ADC) at home, and I can always get a monitor for the office if I want one.

If portability is the main concern, go 12.

Or if you're worried about the price, I have a used Ti 800 you can have for $1200.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 02:13 AM

Hi,

I am new here as well.

I am considering between the 15" and the 12" too. Right now, I am inclined towards the 12" mainly for its size. Yes, you guys are right that "the only useful laptop is the one you have with you".

I take public transport to and from work+school, hence portability is really important. Plus, I have a desktop PC (oops, taboo ) at work and at home, so my laptop will not serve as a desktop replacement.

Having said that, I would have gone for the 15" if I own a car and do not have to carry it + charger + books + water on my back whenever I step out of the house.

Anyway, you ask for Pros on the 12", and I am surprise noone mention this so far:

It is cheaper! If you get the 12", you'll have money you saved from the 15" to add RAM, Airport card, a bag/sleeve, thumbdrive etc. Basically, you can have a "fully loaded" 12" or a "barebone" 15".

Forum Links
Forum Rules