Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NAV autoprotect

NAV autoprotect
Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 01:42 PM

I'm using Norton Antivirus (7.0.2) and, based on past experience, have disabled the Autoprotect extension. It has always caused a lot of problems, and there are several accounts at Macfixit of extension conflicts. There doesn't seem to be any solution other than disabling the extension, but I'd like to hear other users' experiences, as a search of this forum didn't show any related posts. Also, does Virex have similar problems?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

drfrank
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2001, 03:51 PM

I use NAV 6.0.2 and had the same problem. I have auto protect turned off. That is the only work around I'm aware of.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2001, 09:41 PM

The biggest problem I've had with Auto Protect is it's constant interrupting me while I'm trying to work. If you compress or de-compress files, you get a warning dialog box warning taht NAV has detected an attempt to alter or create an application and you have to okay it to continue. I FTP huge files all the time, and am in the habit of dragging and dropping a file into stuffit, and walking off, figuring it'll be done in about ten minutes, when I get back. It's real aggrivating to sit back down to the NAV warning, with nothing having been done.

Same thing happens with software installations.

I've been using Macs for about 8 years, and have yet to have NAV detect a virus. These days, I keep auto-protect off, but every once in a while, I'll manually update the definitions and let it run. It never finds anything.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

macmanmk
Aug 10, 2001, 03:11 PM

We have about 30 users in our office with NAV installed. While the Auto-protect extension causes no problems for some people, for others it causes terrible system slowdowns (i.e. MS Word grinds for two minutes or more before opening) For the people that do experience problems, we've just disabled the extension and everything has returned to normal on their systems. For my own machine, I have the extension disabled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules